L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Oct 27, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #6,436 of 6,840
Some progress after assembling the chassis and mounting parts.

PXL_20231027_140640981-2.jpg

PXL_20231027_140650094-2.jpg

I'm pretty wiped out from a long work week, probably won't finish today, tomorrow or Sunday more likely.

Oct 27, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #6,438 of 6,840
Oct 27, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #6,439 of 6,840
Flip 😳... you'll need a small crew to get that on the rack! Some serious looking amp, love it! :L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #6,441 of 6,840
Now with transformers.

PXL_20231027_153528340-2.jpg

PXL_20231027_153513327-2.jpg

Have to run some errands, will pick back up in a few hours.
Holy CHUNGUS!

So basically you asked @zach915m, "How crazy do you wanna get with this amp?" and his reply was, "YES."

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #6,442 of 6,840
Holy CHUNGUS!

So basically you asked @zach915m, "How crazy do you wanna get with this amp?" and his reply was, "YES."

It's a wild one! It's essentially a refinement of the 45 amp I built him, but using 2A3 and nanocrystalline core signal traffos. To me, this is the peak of two stage SET topologies - LED bias transformer coupled input stage, fixed bias DHT output stage. Other than the power supply, there are no caps in the signal path. Each channel also has it's own dedicated B+ and bias regulators, keeping channel crosstalk to an absolute minimum. I wanted custom transformers for the power supply and signal path, which leaves few options. Monolith Magnetics could provide, and we decided to go all in on the nanocrystalline core traffos. They are high permeability cores, as such they need to be quite large to prevent core saturation, which means a big ol' amp. But hey, probably worth it if it's the best amplifier you've ever heard.

Oct 27, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #6,443 of 6,840
It's a wild one! It's essentially a refinement of the 45 amp I built him, but using 2A3 and nanocrystalline core signal traffos. To me, this is the peak of two stage SET topologies - LED bias transformer coupled input stage, fixed bias DHT output stage. Other than the power supply, there are no caps in the signal path. Each channel also has it's own dedicated B+ and bias regulators, keeping channel crosstalk to an absolute minimum. I wanted custom transformers for the power supply and signal path, which leaves few options. Monolith Magnetics could provide, and we decided to go all in on the nanocrystalline core traffos. They are high permeability cores, as such they need to be quite large to prevent core saturation, which means a big ol' amp. But hey, probably worth it if it's the best amplifier you've ever heard.
I translated this as:

To make sound real good, must spend mo money and make big.

Oct 27, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #6,444 of 6,840
I translated this as:

To make sound real good, must spend mo money and make big.

I think you and Google translate use the same algorithm.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #6,446 of 6,840
Have most of the parts mounted, except for the filament and B+ regulators which have FETs that will be heatsinked to the chassis. Input stage ClarityCap power supply caps are chunky and float above the 9-pin sockets, so need to wire up the sockets before they go in. Have the impedance selector shaft coupler in place, will mark it and cut down to size.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #6,447 of 6,840
Have the impedance selector shaft coupler in place, will mark it and cut down to size.
... or just leave it as-is and let Zach control it from his lazy boy 6ft away :laughing:

Oct 27, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #6,448 of 6,840
... or just leave it as-is and let Zach control it from his lazy boy 6ft away :laughing:

Good idea, you can't tell in the photo, but the rod is 12 feet long :wink:

That's all I'll be getting done for the day, had too much stuff going on, but tomorrow is going to be a serious build sesh.

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #6,449 of 6,840
Alright, been working for a few hours, time to take a break, exercise, eat some lunch.

Got the rest of the parts mounted, wired up the mains, wired the output transformers and output switch, as well as some of the interstage and bias wiring. I targeted getting most of the free wires out of the way to tidy up so I can wire and test the power supplies.

Next I will do the heater and filament supplies.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #6,450 of 6,840
Okay, here's where I'm stopping for the day.

I wired up the input tube sockets, the heaters, did the I/O wiring, got the ClarityCaps in. I usually do the power supply wiring and testing first, then the signal wiring, then the I/O. Decided to do the opposite this time. Usually once I've tested the power supply and confirmed everything is working, I'm excited then immediately disappointed I can't listen right away since I have to do the I/O wiring. So tomorrow moring, I'll wire and test the power supply, then it will be done! Besides cutting the impedance selector rod.

Anyway, almost there, should be done by noon or so tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back