L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #6,736 of 6,808
I don't have a ton of experience with budget transformers to be honest. TubeLab did an article some years back about various budget options.

https://tubelab.com/articles/component-testing/budget-output-transformers/

Probably Edcor would be a good choice for a budget headphone transformer. Unfortunately a lot of transformer winders don't make headphones specific output transformers. You can use speaker transformers but they are a little less than ideal. Lundahl is a good mid-range option.

If you want to go big, custom transformers for Monolith Magnetics are near the top with their Finemet amorphous core line. The Audio Feast also makes a Finemet core headphone transformer for a pretty reasonable price.

I like the 49% nickel core transformers from Intact Audio, but they are pretty pricey at over $1,000 a pair and Dave is not always available to wind them.
Ya, I have noticed a lot of transformer options aren't headphone specific which is a bit depressing.. the OPTs I have are marketed as "nickel-based amorphous C-type output transformer"

1712361258681.png

Primary DC resistance: about 274 ohms
Working current DC: 70mA
Secondary DC resistance: 32 ohms about 3.6 ohms, 300 ohms about 27 ohms
Leakage inductance: about 13mH 1000hz
Distributed capacitance: 2000Pf 20kHz measurement
Frequency response: 5Hz-49KHz -0.5Db 58KHz -1Db.

I would love to compare them to something else.. ill give that article a read and make a determination.. SAC/Silk transformers have caught my eye too and it says most of their orders are custom, so I wonder if they will wind headphone focused transformers, i will have to contact them and see as their prices arent bad at all.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #6,738 of 6,808
I've said it before, but I've released DIY projects in the past and nothing I did even remotely approached the amount of work that must've gone into the documentation you put out for the Aegis. I'm a bit surprised you didn't it even once. I think everybody who built the Aegis owes you thanks. Not only for the work, but for the continued support.

Thanks, yeah I must have been possessed! Glad I got the project done though. Looking forward to the commercial release.

I looked up Audio Feast transformers. The US distributor has a sense of humor. Their email is: cleanunderwear@gmail.com. Too funny.

Yeah I thought that was pretty funny. Here is their headphone transformer. A little pricey, but a nice off the shelf option.

https://www.theaudiofeast.com/store...et-single-ended-head-phone-output-transformer

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #6,739 of 6,808
Apr 6, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #6,740 of 6,808
Can another output transformer be selected for aegis? Or does it have to be Lundahl ?

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #6,741 of 6,808
Can another output transformer be selected for aegis? Or does it have to be Lundahl ?

If you want to do the work to select a compatible transformer, adjust series resistance for proper bias and redesign the chassis to mount it, you could use a different transformer.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #6,742 of 6,808
Hey @L0rdGwyn is the name of the chassis for your air universe ? Thanks

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #6,744 of 6,808
Sorry I don't understand the question.

Did you have a back end name for the chassis with your maker? Or a project name with him ?

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #6,747 of 6,808

I was gonna buy my own chassis and use it for an interstage build of my own.

I get you don't want us to have the circuit design thats cool. But we can't have the chassis either?

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #6,748 of 6,808

I get you don't want us to have the circuit design thats cool. But we can't have the chassis either?

I won't answer for L0rdGwyn here, but I used to get requests like this for my own DIY designs (not in the headphone space) and there were a number of things that I just didn't want to release. Some things were just personal to me and I had put a lot of time and effort into them. Not to mention, anytime I sent something out, I ended up putting time into supporting follow-up questions.

It was nothing against anybody who asked, I just felt protective of certain things.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #6,749 of 6,808

I get asked all the time for access to my project files, PCBs, BOM, etc. But these are personal projects that I never intended to release or give away, I've spent countless hours and loads of money on them. I put out Aegis for the community to work on, so I would suggest going that route. If you want to work on your own interstage coupled design, it should go in its own chassis that is better optimized for the circuit.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #6,750 of 6,808
I get asked all the time for access to my project files, PCBs, BOM, etc. But these are personal projects that I never intended to release or give away, I've spent countless hours and loads of money on them. I put out Aegis for the community to work on, so I would suggest going that route. If you want to work on your own interstage coupled design, it should go in its own chassis that is better optimized for the circuit.

Alright will just build Aegis for now. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back