L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Sep 23, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #5,296 of 6,808
Are you talking about a headphone amp and if so what do you consider expensive? Sorry I do not read the thread enough to keep up on the amp types. :ksc75smile:

Yes it's a headphone amp. I have to do a final tally, but I would guesstimate to build it the way I built it here, cost of parts would be somewhere in the ballpark of $1.5K.

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #5,297 of 6,808
Yes it's a headphone amp. I have to do a final tally, but I would guesstimate to build it the way I built it here, cost of parts would be somewhere in the ballpark of $1.5K.
I will watch for it, naturally I would have to make a wooden cabinet and do point to point wiring but that is just me. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #5,298 of 6,808
I will watch for it, naturally I would have to make a wooden cabinet and do point to point wiring but that is just me. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

The major circuitry is all on a PCB for ease of building, but of course you can do your thang!

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #5,300 of 6,808
Yeah I suspected that lol, I also do my own metal work, usually in copper. I have to rush out but I was just gifted an amazing batch of 12AU7's I will have to check out when I get home. I like choices.

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #5,301 of 6,808
I like the PCB, and the presentation it shows in the case layout that you designed.
I am sure it is well done. I spent 16 years working with custom wire and cable and have specific likes within amps I designed. I also roll a lot of tubes so I am pretty cautious about socket stability. 😀

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #5,302 of 6,808
I am sure it is well done. I spent 16 years working with custom wire and cable and have specific likes within amps I designed. I also roll a lot of tubes so I am pretty cautious about socket stability. 😀
If you build it point to point, I am sure it will be superbly executed!! Wooden case would rule, too :)

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #5,303 of 6,808
If you build it point to point, I am sure it will be superbly executed!! Wooden case would rule, too :)
Thanks, I try.😁 I need to build an amp prettier than this one just to annoy @bcowen.

FED29B37-4A7A-4416-870E-3150D6F06877.jpeg

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #5,304 of 6,808
Yeah I suspected that lol, I also do my own metal work, usually in copper. I have to rush out but I was just gifted an amazing batch of 12AU7's I will have to check out when I get home. I like choices.

I typically build point-to-point, but for this particular circuit I went with PCB. Makes for a very quick build, I could build this amp from scratch in a single day.

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #5,305 of 6,808
I typically build point-to-point, but for this particular circuit I went with PCB. Makes for a very quick build, I could build this amp from scratch in a single day.
Not me, I can spent 40 hours on a cabinet and copper plate, but that is the part I enjoy. I spent nearly all my career in engineering, electronic production, and repair. 50 years worth so it can bore me at times.🤪🤪

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #5,306 of 6,808
I figured it would be around that range. That is actually quite reasonable, especially considering how well l it is likely to perform! Does that include the chassis?

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #5,307 of 6,808
I figured it would be around that range. That is actually quite reasonable, especially considering how well l it is likely to perform! Does that include the chassis?

jgwtriode

Yup, that's a rough figure for everything. Not exact though, just an estimation. I still don't have a good handle on where the amp stands in terms of subjective performance. I know where I think it stands, but not where others do, just a few people saying it sounds great so far. But if you figure it is a TOTL category sounding amplifier, then $1.5Kish plus a few days of labor, I think it would be worth the money and effort. Well, I should add a fair amount of time will go into ordering parts and waiting for them to arrive, but I will try to make that as easy as I can.

Dave Slagle is going to wind the transformers for my over-the-top version of this amp. I am going to have a custom mains wound by Monolith Magnetics with dual secondaries for a true dual mono voltage regulated power supply, because why not.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #5,308 of 6,808
Yup, that's a rough figure for everything. Not exact though, just an estimation. I still don't have a good handle on where the amp stands in terms of subjective performance. I know where I think it stands, but not where others do, just a few people saying it sounds great so far. But if you figure it is a TOTL category sounding amplifier, then $1.5Kish plus a few days of labor, I think it would be worth the money and effort. Well, I should add a fair amount of time will go into ordering parts and waiting for them to arrive, but I will try to make that as easy as I can.

Dave Slagle is going to wind the transformers for my over-the-top version of this amp. I am going to have a custom mains wound by Monolith Magnetics with dual secondaries for a true dual mono voltage regulated power supply, because why not.
Total transformer cost? Anything else I most likely have or do not need.

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #5,309 of 6,808
Total transformer cost? Anything else I most likely have or do not need.

Somewhere around $800 for the transformers and chokes, three of each. I'll get into all of the details though soon, I want to hear back from the Lundahl distributor and be sure they can supply before I lay bare the details in public. It is a relatively simple design, nothing innovative, but I think it has an edge over a conventional SET output topology for headphones if you can work around the design issues it presents.

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #5,310 of 6,808
Somewhere around $800 for the transformers and chokes, three of each. I'll get into all of the details though soon, I want to hear back from the Lundahl distributor and be sure they can supply before I lay bare the details in public. It is a relatively simple design, nothing innovative, but I think it has an edge over a conventional SET output topology for headphones if you can work around the design issues it presents.
Sounds good, I will wait for more info.😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back