L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Dec 22, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #3,721 of 6,805
Oh man...if the OCD kicked in a guy could be polishing more than listening to music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
LOL! I just use a Swiffer duster on it every couple weeks, no polishing required. But now that I look at the photo closely I see a spot.....back after a bit. :smile:

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #3,723 of 6,805
Merry Listening and some happy new gear to everyone. Happy holidays and the all the best for the new year. Looking forward to even better audio and enjoying this hobby even more. Thanks to all on this site for making it a better year.

jgwtriode

Attachments

• 2969189249_16d8e7d975_b.jpg
    2969189249_16d8e7d975_b.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 0
Dec 24, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #3,724 of 6,805
Merry Listening and some happy new gear to everyone. Happy holidays and the all the best for the new year. Looking forward to even better audio and enjoying this hobby even more. Thanks to all on this site for making it a better year.

jgwtriode
And to you as well. Nice pic, man! I have some EH KT-88's, but they've got no fluorescence at all. :sob:

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #3,725 of 6,805

jgwtriode

Merry listening and happy new gear indeed, hopefully a better new year! I have been away from work and DIY for a week which has been healthy, ran a half marathon this morning which was nice. I did go to my Klipsch dealer this week and demo the Forte IV. I love them, sounded excellent and out of a Sony receiver, will be even better in my system methinks. I intend to buy them, but there is a catch: the grills are not metal, and I need to get metal grills to meet WAF. I am looking into my options; I've asked Klipsch if they would make me a metal grill, otherwise there are third party grill manufacturers, last resort is DIY but I don't think it will come to that. Anyway, hope everyone is having a good holiday. Please get vaccinated and boosted and encourage others to do so for your safety and the sanity of healthcare workers.

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #3,726 of 6,805
Merry listening and happy new gear indeed, hopefully a better new year! I have been away from work and DIY for a week which has been healthy, ran a half marathon this morning which was nice. I did go to my Klipsch dealer this week and demo the Forte IV. I love them, sounded excellent and out of a Sony receiver, will be even better in my system methinks. I intend to buy them, but there is a catch: the grills are not metal, and I need to get metal grills to meet WAF. I am looking into my options; I've asked Klipsch if they would make me a metal grill, otherwise there are third party grill manufacturers, last resort is DIY but I don't think it will come to that. Anyway, hope everyone is having a good holiday. Please get vaccinated and boosted and encourage others to do so for your safety and the sanity of healthcare workers.

Merry Christmas Keenan.

Vaccinated and boosted here. I am glad you are getting a little break from all of the chaos.

Listening to some new music that my wife gifted me this morning.

Music makes life better.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #3,727 of 6,805
Same here 😀

Beethoven piano concerti with Mitsuko Uchida, Simon Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic. No. 4 is a particular highlight!

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #3,728 of 6,805
Got home from Christmas vacation to some presents.

My globe Marconi MH4 arrived, except they aren't Marconi MH4. Billington got it wrong, they are Mazda VR37, an alternative construction Mazda AC/HL. That's okay though, this is another rare one that I didn't have in my collection, the price was fair.

PXL_20211226_015005375-2.jpg

Love those big plates. One of the four had a partially broken heater pin, which was a little disappointing, but nothing a little solder couldn't fix.

PXL_20211226_015208206-2.jpg

Listening now, they sound great, very linear, spacious. 90-year-old tubes.

PXL_20211226_022203057.NIGHT.jpg

More HY69 arrived. Will just show one pair, but now have around forty of these tubes. I put together a triode LTSpice model for these including A2 curves, so I have a few schematics I'm playing with. Long term goal is a lifetime supply for a special speaker amplifier. I have a special one already, so just going to hold onto these and scheme...

PXL_20211226_022854509-2.jpg

While I am figuring out the metal grill situation for the Forte IV, the plan for the Snells is to order another VIFA woofer to replace the one that was punctured. Once that's fixed, going to bring them to a local shop that does consignment of vintage hifi gear. Will package them together with the Sound Anchors stands. Not sure how much I will ask for them yet, but it will be a good find for someone, price will be reasonable given what the custom stands cost, not to mention the souped-up crossovers and brand new drivers. If nothing else, putting them on sale will get them out of the house to make room for the Fortes :D looking forward to getting those into my system, they will sing with these flea-watt amps.

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #3,729 of 6,805
Back to reality tomorrow, it's going to hit hard, two days then a breather. Will try and get some more OTL work done this week! Normally would have those amps done, just bad timing with the surge and the holidays.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #3,730 of 6,805
Wanted to share a bit of history from my friend's father, owner of that Garrard 401 I pictured a few pages back. Even more interesting than the turntable is the tonearm! A design with an articulating headshell, meant to maintain parallel alignment to the vinyl groove through the entirety of the record playback.

PXL_20211223_143047669-2.jpg

This is a very obscure arm, invented in the 1950s by James Worden, patented, then advertised by his son, Wilfred. According to my friend's father - who had some connection to Wilfred Worden through a series of acquaintances - Wilfred attempted to sell the design to major turntable manufacturers, including Garrard, but no one picked it up. Then at a later date, Garrard released their own articulating tonearm design! Seems it was a suspected copycat situation.

Anyway, I've attached some documents he provided to me if anyone is interested in reading about it.

Worden Tonearm.png

Worden Tonearm2.png

Worden Tonearm Technical Report.png

1962-worden-articulated-wood-tonearm-5.jpg

Worden also designed some horn loaded speakers under the name Panosonic. My friend's dad wants me to recreate them for him lol easier said than done! But apparently they have been discussed to some extent on diyAudio, one of the pictures below is from a restoration.

Worden Panosonic 5.jpg Worden Panosona 1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #3,731 of 6,805
And when did Matsushita start using „Panasonic“? Did he register the trademark?

Could have been an opportunity…😀

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #3,732 of 6,805
And when did Matsushita start using „Panasonic“? Did he register the trademark?

Could have been an opportunity…😀

It's PanOsonic, big difference!!!

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #3,733 of 6,805
I love a good tube deal, nailed one today, got a lot of eighteen NIB Amperex E182CC today at $22 per tube with free shipping. Here are six of them.

s-l1600.jpg

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,734 of 6,805
I love a good tube deal, nailed one today, got a lot of eighteen NIB Amperex E182CC today at $22 per tube with free shipping. Here are six of them.

s-l1600.jpg
Where???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back