L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Jan 2, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #3,752 of 6,808
Jan 2, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #3,753 of 6,808
Excellent! The GEC U18/20 is one of my favorites. And who knows? Maybe there is a chance that you might grow into a tube rectifier aficionado :)

I pretty much use the U18/20 exclusively in this amp! Fist version could also run 5Z3 with a combo socket, but ended up switching to 4V B4 base rectifiers only. Have a Marconi-branded FW4-500 around here somewhere...but I think the U18/20 sounds a little better. And it looks cool, most importantly.

Back in the day, I used to apply a thick layer of an Elmers white glue and sand mixture to the inside surfaces to brace speaker cabinets. :)

If it works, it works! If I do add some bracing, will probably try to do something reversible, at least at first, and take some measurements.

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #3,755 of 6,808
Have some time off, listening to the Mazda VR37, Sylvania 6A5G, and GEC U18/20 tube rectifier (@gibosi :))

These tubes sound great, really hit the spot in terms of looks / build for me too.

Here are the operating curves.

Tomorrow afternoon I am gonna get back on the amp building horse and make some real progress on those two Airmid OTLs, think I should be able to get one or both of them done or darn close this week.

Still working on figuring out the grill situation for the Forte IV. I'm waiting for Klipsch customer service to get back to me, they have been unreachable by phone and email, which I assume is mostly due to the busy holiday season. Going to give them another ring tomorrow. Plan is to see if they will build me a pair of metal grills, if not I will ask to buy the magnetic grill substrates from them without the clothe and either make my own or send them to a custom grill maker. I'm thinking I am probably going to make some changes to the Forte IV whenever I do get them, maybe not right away but at some point. Probably will make some upgrades in the crossover, add some damping to the horns at the very least. Could get a little more aggressive and add some bracing to the cabinets, we'll see, I think there are some improvements that could be made.

Another thing I am excited about - as part of the deal for the 45 amp I built Zach, he is working on some custom headphones for me, probably will have them by Feb. I will finally be joining the Vérité Closed club :sunglasses: mine will be made in black and white ebony.
Very nice! Sounds exciting,! Particularly that you will be getting a pair of Verite Closed. Should be amazing in ebony! Love leopard wood VC's. Truelly amazing how they scale.Was doing software tweaking over the holidays, most specifically with latest majiority clean and lemonade in combination with the other packages that work very well with Jplay femto. Stunning how much more realistic that made them sound. The Verites easily compare with very good loudspeakers but present more subtle details and texture across the frequency spectrum. Can't wait to see what the Airmid will bring to the table! It's looking like a very good New year!

Very happy listening,

jgwtriode

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #3,756 of 6,808
Have some time off, listening to the Mazda VR37, Sylvania 6A5G, and GEC U18/20 tube rectifier (@gibosi :))

These tubes sound great, really hit the spot in terms of looks / build for me too.

Here are the operating curves.

Tomorrow afternoon I am gonna get back on the amp building horse and make some real progress on those two Airmid OTLs, think I should be able to get one or both of them done or darn close this week.

Still working on figuring out the grill situation for the Forte IV. I'm waiting for Klipsch customer service to get back to me, they have been unreachable by phone and email, which I assume is mostly due to the busy holiday season. Going to give them another ring tomorrow. Plan is to see if they will build me a pair of metal grills, if not I will ask to buy the magnetic grill substrates from them without the cloth and either make my own or send them to a custom grill maker. I'm thinking I am probably going to make some changes to the Forte IV whenever I do get them, maybe not right away but at some point. Probably will make some upgrades in the crossover, add some damping to the horns at the very least. Could get a little more aggressive and add some bracing to the cabinets, we'll see, I think there are some improvements that could be made.

Another thing I am excited about - as part of the deal for the 45 amp I built Zach, he is working on some custom headphones for me, probably will have them by Feb. I will finally be joining the Vérité Closed club :sunglasses: mine will be made in black and white ebony.

That rectifier socket will use 4 or 5 volt rectifiers with no adapters.....correct ?

Congrats on getting the VC also. Black & White Ebony, can't wait to see it and for you to get to hear it.
It is pretty dang spectacular. With all of your gear, wow...great times ahead.

PS My patience is running thin with Baker Mayfield......kid has turned my life upside down the last few weeks :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #3,757 of 6,808
That rectifier socket will use 4 or 5 volt rectifiers with no adapters.....correct ?

Congrats on getting the VC also. Black & White Ebony, can't wait to see it and for you to get to hear it.
It is pretty dang spectacular. With all of your gear, wow...great times ahead.

PS My patience is running thin with Baker Mayfield......kid has turned my life upside down the last few weeks :frowning2:

Just 4V on the rectifier Joe, I had a combo socket in the first version of the amp so that both 4V and 5V rectifiers could be used (specifically the 5Z3). But then I was pretty much only using 4V rectifiers, so I ended up removing the combo socket when I rebuilt the amp. Now it just uses U18/20, AZ50, FW4-500, etc.

Yeah I can't wait for that headphone! Really looking forward to that.

As far as Baker...yeah, I don't know, he looked good before the shoulder injury and it has been a mess ever since! I'm guessing he plays out the last year of his contract then they'll have to make a big decision. It's too bad, makes you wish he would have just sat out and gotten the surgery from the start.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,758 of 6,808
Just 4V on the rectifier Joe, I had a combo socket in the first version of the amp so that both 4V and 5V rectifiers could be used (specifically the 5Z3). But then I was pretty much only using 4V rectifiers, so I ended up removing the combo socket when I rebuilt the amp. Now it just uses U18/20, AZ50, FW4-500, etc.

Yeah I can't wait for that headphone! Really looking forward to that.

As far as Baker...yeah, I don't know, he looked good before the shoulder injury and it has been a mess ever since! I'm guessing he plays out the last year of his contract then they'll have to make a big decision. It's too bad, makes you wish he would have just sat out and gotten the surgery from the start.

Thanks for the info...I thought you had a socket for both at one point.

Baker is a tough kid, maybe too much for his own good.

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #3,759 of 6,808
Been working on the Airmid OTL for @pravous , not quite done yet, but almost there. Will do a little more work on it tonight, think I will be able to finish it tomorrow. Please ignore my very messy workbench.

PXL_20220104_220801145-2.jpg

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #3,761 of 6,808
Looks awesome. Very excited to listen to it! Not going to lie the week has been going very slow since you told me maybe this week.

Excited for you to hear it! Assuming I don't get called into work overnight (I am on call, but odds are I won't), should finish the circuit tomorrow morning, test, then add some feet to the bottom panel, and it will be done.

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #3,763 of 6,808
First I manage to score a 7802
I saw a 7802 on eBay a week or two ago. First ive seen in several years of looking, but it was just one. I'm too old to wait for another to pop up. Congrats on getting it though

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back