L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Dec 21, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #3,691 of 6,808
Presumably that’s an old Weathers arm on there.

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #3,692 of 6,808
I see a lot of mention of the 45 tube on this thread, although I have no experience with this tube, has anyone tried this new version from Sophia Elec.?
https://sophiaelectric.com/collections/frontpage/products/pages-se-45
I considered this tube and was just about to order the above, but decided to sell my 45 amp. This new design is a bit worse than princess shape tube, at least I was told that by the distributor. In any case If You want them better hurry, as I understand 45 types are no longer produced by Sophia/Fillmusic due to constructor"s death.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #3,694 of 6,808
With a properly-sorted Garrard front end and a pair of classic Klipsch speakers (frankly, I wonder if you might prefer the Cornwall to the Forte), you will be able to take that system to the next level 😀.

Merry Christmas

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #3,695 of 6,808
You may want to build a plinth for two arms (I wish I had, in retrospect). The Weathers can be used for a dedicated mono cartridge (if you’re into that kind of thing). Anything from a GE RPX or (preferably) VR to an A-T MONO 3/LP (what I use) or a Miyajima….

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #3,696 of 6,808
At last! Welcome to the dark side….

As much as I would welcome it, sadly it isn't for me @CJG888 , only joking. It is my friends father's, an Englishman like yourself. It is used seldomly, not sure he realizes how these have appreciated in value. I wouldn't be surprised if it was gifted to me some day however.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #3,698 of 6,808
I've been enjoying lurking here for some time, but unfortunately, I don't see any tube rectifiers, so... lol :)
Here you go @gibosi . The thread has been made whole. :laughing:

Jota.jpg

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #3,699 of 6,808
GZ37s?

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #3,700 of 6,808
Dec 21, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #3,701 of 6,808
Sorry Ken, one of my amplifiers is tube rectified, but it's been a while lol admittedly I gravitate toward designing with SS rectifiers, maybe I'll use a tube again soon.

If and when you do, I would encourage you to use circuitry similar to what Glenn uses. That is, I can roll a 3-volt rectifier (3dg4), as well as 4- and 5- volt rectifiers. :)

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #3,702 of 6,808
With a properly-sorted Garrard front end and a pair of classic Klipsch speakers (frankly, I wonder if you might prefer the Cornwall to the Forte), you will be able to take that system to the next level 😀.

Merry Christmas

I might prefer the Cornwall, my partner would not haha. Interestingly, most say the Forte has the more visceral bass, I may ask to demo both in store just for the heck of it.
Are you running a two channel system as well, or straight headphone?

If and when you do, I would encourage you to use circuitry similar to what Glenn uses. That is, I can roll a 3-volt rectifier (3dg4), as well as 4- and 5- volt rectifiers. :)

I'll keep that in mind! The reason I don't use them regularly, despite how cool they are, is they conflict with my penchant for using regulated B+ supplies, which have a lot of sonic benefits. You can use them together, but it doesn't make a lot of sense from a design standpoint.

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #3,703 of 6,808
I might prefer the Cornwall, my partner would not haha. Interestingly, most say the Forte has the more visceral bass, I may ask to demo both in store just for the heck of it.

I'll keep that in mind! The reason I don't use them regularly, despite how cool they are, is they conflict with my penchant for using regulated B+ supplies, which have a lot of sonic benefits. You can use them together, but it doesn't make a lot of sense from a design standpoint.
In addition to the headphone rig(s), I’m running SME10A / Ortofon Jubilee / Musical Fidelity XLP2 monoblock phono stage / Krell KAV-500i / Martin-Logan Vantage for classical, Garrard 301 / SME3009 / A-T VM740ML or Townshend Rock / Roksan Tabriz / A-T MONO 3/LP / Pro-Ject Tube Box DS with linear PSU / Opera Consonance Reference 5.5 Mk.2 (Telefunken ECC81 / TJ Full Music 12BH7 / Gold Lion 300B) / Aurum Cantus Leshen Mini for jazz…

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #3,704 of 6,808

@A2029 We already have a CCS/RES switch, a 60mA/30mA power tube switch, and a 6J5/6SN7 switch. Need another switch for tube rectification/ss rectification :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back