L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Nov 15, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #3,002 of 4,419
The screencap below shows the total memory (266MB) footprint of my audio endpoint running the HQPlayer NAA (/usr/sbin/networkaudiod)
Snapshot taken while audio being sent to DAC.

The machine is an Intel NUC8i3, the i3-8109U processor has 128MB of fast on-package eDRAM that can act as a fast L4 cache.
This gives just under 50% cache hit rate with the memory footprint shown above.

NAA performance increases linearly with a reduction of memory access latency.
Reduce the latency and the soundstaging and fine resolution of audio details improve, bass weight and slam increases.

The NUC is running CL14 DDR4-2400, with a shortest memory round trip time of 50ns (Measured with Intel's memory latency checker)
This is reduced by about 2x by the eDRAM with 50GB/s bidirectional bandwidth.
naa_memory_footprint.png

The 128MB eDRAM is lost to the GPU if the GPU driver is active.
This is one reason to not have a GUI running.

(The NUC is normally supplied with CL17 DDR4-2400, this has a latency of about 75ns)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #3,003 of 4,419
[QUOTE = "littlexx26、投稿:15875665、メンバー:480232"]
最も簡単で非常に目立つのは、ヒューズを交換することです
[/見積もり]
ヒューズの許容アンペア数の違いによる音質の違いはありますか?手元に5Aのスローブローがあります。

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #3,004 of 4,419
[QUOTE = "littlexx26、投稿:15875665、メンバー:480232"]
最も簡単で非常に目立つのは、ヒューズを交換することです
[/見積もり]
ヒューズの許容アンペア数の違いによる音質の違いはありますか?手元に5Aのスローブローがあります。
I never tried 5A but I don't think will have big difference if any.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #3,005 of 4,419
As always, thank you very much b0bb and thanks to all of you who help others. By the way, I see no one talking in the forum about the Musetek da005, which appears to be the successor to our LKS 004 and from what I read it has a number of "creme de la creme" finishes and components. Do you really think that he is a big step forward from our current dac ...? It is a serious option as a replacement for 004 for which we do not have the capacity for the upgrades that are seen here in the forum ...? In other words, that Musetek 005 can be like a LKS 004 at the maximum upgrade level ...? Thank you for your valuable opinion and point of view ....
I am awaiting delivery of a 005. It looks great, but I can't find a single review anywhere!

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #3,007 of 4,419
Presently own Auralic Vega and LKS 004, 2019 edition, upgrade usb, no mods, SR orange fuse. 004 superior to Vega in every parameter of sound quality. Increased resolution most noticeable improvement, sound stage larger in every dimension, images more 3D. I've not heard the sabre chip brightness in either of these dacs, sound stage somewhat more forward in 004. Slightly more prominent bass with vega but 004 just fine here. Have no complaints with tonality, everything in pretty nice balance.

I'm not a headphone user, so this is with tube preamp and amps. I regularly rotate three amps in same system, 845 SET, EL34 push pull, 300B SET. Vega matches best with 845 tube, 004 with 300B. I would characterize 004 as the more analytical of the two dacs, my listening preferences would require all tube setup with 004. Guy I purchased 004 from described 004 as bright using with Macintosh SS pre and Boulder amp.

I could see the stock 004 as long term keeper in my setup, increased resolution, transparency gives me even greater sense of performers in room over vega. I also presume clean AC (dedicated AC lines, BPT 3.5 Sig power conditioner or lithium ion power supply on dacs, clean ethernet- all AQ Vodka, optical conversion, clean usb-sotm sms200 neo, Uptone Regen, AQ Diamond, and mac mini- only minimal services operative,Uptone MMK with JS-2 power supply, LPS on every single digital piece help here.

I run Roon, no DPS and ripped cd's to Synology NAS.

I have also purchased LKS 005, shipping out Dec. 6 and expecting Okto Dac 8 stereo any day now (3 month waiting list). If I had any criticism of 004 it would be in the area of refinement, timbre. Based on design and parts of 005, expecting greater resolution and refinement, Okto Dac 8 more relaxed with 9028chips? At this point my plans are auditioning Audiobyte Hydro Vox, Holo May, Aqua and Mola Mola dacs. FPGA, R2R or Sabre designs, I want to hear all three in my system.

No headphone use here, highly modded Klipschorn, only bass cabinet is stock.

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #3,009 of 4,419
I/V resistors 2 Watt Vishay TX2575 0.1% custom made to my specs by Texas Components.
Mounted on the underside to minimize any air currents around the resistors.

What it does.
1) Improves the pinpoint imaging of the dac
2) Reduce top end sibilance and glare
3) Fast bass transients no longer muddy up the overall presentation

DSCN1323.JPG

Close up
DSCN1324.JPG

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #3,010 of 4,419
100uF 10V solid tantalum bead cap for Vcom bypass.

The vcom reference circuit is very low current, conventional aluminum (Al) electrolytics leakage is quite high and not temperature stable.

Solid tantalum beads have very low leakage, about 10-50x lower than conventional Al Electrolytics and is stable across a wide temperature range.

This improves the low frequency common rejection of the dac, it practical term gets you lots of low and very fast bass.

What it does.
1) Substantial low end extension improvement
2) Bass slam impact increases
DSCN1334.JPG

DSCN1331.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #3,011 of 4,419
Replacement of analog section power filter cap with Mundorf 10,000uF 63V MLGO Mlytic AG
Vishay MBRF10H100 100V 10A Schottky

What it does
1) Mundorf inproves the bass slam, the OEM Jensen caps were quite mushy in presentation
2) Bass slams much harder
3) Schottky diodes brings improved smoothness and a more lush midrange. This brings out the voice of the tenor or soprano in classical opera pieces.
With the Stock LKS Jensen caps, the singer gets lost/buried in the orchestra

DSCN1330.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #3,013 of 4,419
LKS used very large (>1000uF) low ESR output caps on the LM317 regulators, this is not ideal.
(Previous discussion from the NatSemi design article a few posts earlier)

This was to partially counteract the poor performance of the Nichicon audio filter caps.
The Nichicon caps are good for analog audio but it appears to be a poor choice for the digital power regulation.
The dissipation factor is quite high and I find the caps on the digital side running at elevated temps.

The mod below unwinds some of the changes LKS made to allow the use of more suitable components
Replaced the 10,000 uF Nichicon with a 10,000 uF Cornell Dublier (CDM) 380LX.
CDM caps are industrial caps designed for heavy duty use, ripple current is 2-5x better than the Nichicons.

This serves the high current transient demands from the digital circuitry better.

I replaced the 2200uF Panasonic FR, with a 680uF Chemicon SXE (something I had lying around)
ESR is 3x higher and the value 4x smaller.
This brings things back inline per NatSemi's design recommendations

What is brings:
1) Reduction in sibilance
2) Better bass slam
3) Smoother midrange
4)Complex esp highly compressed tracks no longer blur out, the is now a more distinct ablilty to resolve the music compared to the previous muddy and mushy presentation

DSCN1365.JPG

CDE/CDM 380LX cap
DSCN1369.JPG

Chemicon 680uF output cap
DSCN1370.JPG

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #3,014 of 4,419
100uF 10V solid tantalum bead cap for Vcom bypass.

The vcom reference circuit is very low current, conventional aluminum (Al) electrolytics leakage is quite high and not temperature stable.

Solid tantalum beads have very low leakage, about 10-50x lower than conventional Al Electrolytics and is stable across a wide temperature range.

This improves the low frequency common rejection of the dac, it practical term gets you lots of low and very fast bass.

What it does.
1) Substantial low end extension improvement
2) Bass slam impact increases
DSCN1334.JPG

DSCN1331.JPG
Hi B0bb, what can I say?
Where would this forum be without you. Great job!!!
Can you please share the exact part number of the tantal bead?

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #3,015 of 4,419
Hello boys. As I am experimenting with HQPlayer, comparing it to Foobar and upsampling DSD512 (... to the limit of my computer ...:scream:), I notice that HQP has a more liquid, brighter sound and Foobar has a darker, heavier sound , thicker. So, in the face of the terrifying multiconfiguration of HQP filters, could one of you please tell me which you think are the most suitable filters in search of a thicker, fuller, darker sound in this impressive HQP ...? Thanks for your opinion. Greetings to everyone from Spain ....:relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back