L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Mar 3, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #2,521 of 4,419
My LKS is very sensitive to power quality and power cable. Not exclusively for the LKS, I'm using a PS Audio Stellar P3 regenerator for it and my streamer. This, with a Coherent 6D power cable, makes it truly sing and it hardly varies its performance at all now.

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #2,522 of 4,419
Finally, it is here. Couldn't wait to set her in ! Can not believe the build quality of the chassis and even the remote control itself is solid chunk of milled aluminum.

Do you still use this DAC? If so, are your impressions still similar? I just read a thread on audiogon about this DAC and a few folks felt it stood up nicely against a Chord DAVE at 7-8 times the cost. I am in the market for a new DAC and still considering this one. I know it is a few years old, but can’t shake that it would be a good way to go. I have never owned a delta sigma DAC. I currently use a Vinshine R2R Reference that is roughly the same age as the 004. To those 004 owners, what are your thoughts?

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2,523 of 4,419
I love my LKS but it is somewhat modified from stock now. Great build quality and nice large PCB make it very moddable.

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #2,524 of 4,419
I love my LKS but it is somewhat modified from stock now. Great build quality and nice large PCB make it very moddable.
Thank you. I am not someone who will modify my own DAC. I have no experience. I see lots of the thread is about modding the LKS. Ultimately, if I can't use it right out of the box, I will look elsewhere.

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #2,525 of 4,419
Thank you. I am not someone who will modify my own DAC. I have no experience. I see lots of the thread is about modding the LKS. Ultimately, if I can't use it right out of the box, I will look elsewhere.
You dont have to modify this and that here and there. What others doing...changing caps, transistors, clocks etc....maybe you can get the same or even better results by just changing a piece of fuse at the back.

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #2,526 of 4,419
Amanero has new NativeDSD (non DoP) firmware for the Combo384 used in the 004.
Amanero_2006be11.png

This latest version eliminated the dropouts on DSD512.

On my modified unit it puts it within striking distance of the SU6.

Amanero bests the SU6 on highly compressed rock tracks, keeping focussed on the vocals whilst the Singxer starts to lose coherence for example Springsteens's Dancing in the Dark from the Born in the USA album.

SU6 has the edge on the musical presence, there is more depth and 3D-like soudstage.
Solo instruments are more expressive on the SU6.

The Amanero is better than the SU1 in all respects with the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #2,527 of 4,419
Amanero has new NativeDSD (non DoP) firmware for the Combo384 used in the 004.
Amanero_2006be11.png
This latest version eliminated the dropouts on DSD512.

On my modified unit it puts it within striking distance of the SU6.

Amanero bests the SU6 on highly compressed rock tracks, keeping focussed on the vocals whilst the Singxer starts to lose coherence for example Springsteens's Dancing in the Dark from the Born in the USA album.

SU6 has the edge on the musical presence, there is more depth and 3D-like soudstage.
Solo instruments are more expressive on the SU6.

The Amanero is better than the SU1 in all respects with the latest firmware.
Hi. Is Amanero better than modded Kitsune SU-1? Is your Amanero card moddded or stock?

Mar 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,528 of 4,419
You dont have to modify this and that here and there. What others doing...changing caps, transistors, clocks etc....maybe you can get the same or even better results by just changing a piece of fuse at the back.
No, you can't.

Mar 15, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #2,529 of 4,419
Hi. Is Amanero better than modded Kitsune SU-1? Is your Amanero card moddded or stock?

My Amanero is the enhanced board with the Crystek 95x XOs and the LT3042 regulator based LPS.
This is the best version LKS makes. LPS modded to reduce the ESR of the output caps.

The modded Kitsune costs more than the SU6, it looks to me like a regulator mod.

If you are looking to get an external unit, I think SU6 is a better choice.
It has a couple of features the SU1 lacks like the temp controlled 95x master clock and
just as important it is a true single clock domain implementation in the datapath with the XMOS clock slaved to the 95x

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #2,530 of 4,419
My Amanero is the enhanced board with the Crystek 95x XOs and the LT3042 regulator based LPS.
This is the best version LKS makes. LPS modded to reduce the ESR of the output caps.

The modded Kitsune costs more than the SU6, it looks to me like a regulator mod.

If you are looking to get an external unit, I think SU6 is a better choice.
It has a couple of features the SU1 lacks like the temp controlled 95x master clock and
just as important it is a true single clock domain implementation in the datapath with the XMOS clock slaved to the 95x
Thank you. Which firmware is newest 1081 CPLD and 2006be11?

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #2,533 of 4,419
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, as I am very interested in the LKS mh-da004 and, before buying it, I would like to give me your opinion regarding:
-This will be my first dac. Do you think that currently (spring 2020) is still a very good dac ...?
-Does there still support firmware updates on the LKS website ...?
Thank you very much for your opinion. Greetings from Barcelona.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #2,534 of 4,419
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, as I am very interested in the LKS mh-da004 and, before buying it, I would like to give me your opinion regarding:
-This will be my first dac. Do you think that currently (spring 2020) is still a very good dac ...?
-Does there still support firmware updates on the LKS website ...?
Thank you very much for your opinion. Greetings from Barcelona.

The LKS 004 in stock form is nothing special in 2020 but it has a lot of untapped potential.

A modern DAC is 2 main parts
1)Digital to Analog converter
2)DSP for sample rate conversion for PCM and SDM remodulation for DSD

LKS004 main strength is (1) in particular, the analog stage with the final operating state in a high bias Class-A.
One of the reasons Class-A output stages when properly designed, can have very wide bandwidth and this is needed if the DAC is expected to show improvement with music of higher sampling rates. The LKS 004 performs very well with high bitrate material, at DSD512 the highest sampling rate is 24.576MHz

The analog stage will need at least 50-100MHz in order for the converter to not run into signal induced slew rate limiting of the output stage.
One element of that is a high bias current.
The LKS 004 has a measured idle output stage current of between 60-70mA this is about 3-6x that of competing designs.

This makes the DAC expensive to manufacture and prices have not moved since it was introduced in early 2017

There is stiff competition from the likes of Gustard and Matrix at this pricepoint.
The analog portions of these competitors are not as good, relying built in custom DSP processing to make up the difference.

The LKS uses the stock filters from ESS relying on a good analog frontend for the performance.

Either option (LKS or the competition) will do the job, more so if you are looking for a single box to plug in to you digital music source.

If you go with the LKS you never have to worry about firmware updates as it does not have any custom "special sauce" that requires firmware maintenence.
The USB interface is licensed from Amanero and the updates come from Amanero directly, updating is optional.

If you want to take this further, major portions of the DSP processing chain can be done outside of the DAC, typically with a reasonably capable PC, running specialized audio DSP software for example Roon or HQPlayer.

This can be done with the LKS or any of it competitors, with the competition much of the custom DSP is bypassed and with it the money spent there.
This gives LKS the advantage as most of the manufacturing budget is spent on the good analog stage and good quality power supplies so there is less waste.

When used with a properly implemented outboard DSP resampling, ordinary 44.1kHz CD source material can take a greater advantage of higher sampling rates on offer today.
Higher sampling rates give more headroom to implement sophisticated DSP algorithms, which in turn, can do more to move the sampling noise and artifacts further away from the audio band.

This, of course, assumes that the analog part of the DAC is up to the task, as it under a lot more stress with increasing sampling rates.

Beyond this is hardware modification like installing a better master clock.

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #2,535 of 4,419
Thank you very much for your extended and professional response, "b0bb". I, as you may have already guessed, am inexperienced in all this "overhauling" of a dac, so my use of the LKS would be as it comes from the factory. But I have been reading the opinions of the users of this dac in forums for more than a year and I have always read good things about it, except that at first it seemed to accumulate a lot of heat, but I think that is already solved. Another option would be the Matrix X-Sabre Pro "mqa", but I don't know if it would be a better option and it deserves that extra expense. And yes, it is true, the price of the LKS has not dropped, it has remained the same or more expensive. I am thinking of buying it on "Clear Components", a German website on eBay. Thank you very much "b0bb" for your opinion and if you want to tell me something more or anything, I will be happy to read you. Greetings to all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back