L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Dec 17, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #2,448 of 4,419
I think this is not suitable.

This is not a full fiber cable, some part of it is copper.
Pin14 on HDMI 1.4 and newer is half of the the audio return channel which goes in the reverse direction. (LKS-->SU1)

Active cables are directional, it will attempt to amplify any signal from the LKS back to the SU1, this is not desirable as the DSDOE connection is no longer functional.
Thank you, what do you think how does LKS 004 compares to Resistor to Resistor DACS? Like Denafrips Ares 2?

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #2,449 of 4,419
Hi there!! I'm new to this forum!! I own an mh-da004 since about 1 year, and during the last two months I've been listening this dac a lot. When I first listened this dac, it was hooked up with a different desktop pc and it was working fine. Now I'm experiencing a lot of clicks and pops when hooked up to my new desktop pc through the amanero usb. I've tried to fix the problem in many ways: setting properly the win10 energy management, updating any peripheral drivers, adding a usb pcie board, replacing usb cable with a better one, made a latency test etc etc... nothing worked for me!! Always clicks and pops. I also own an smsl m8 dac and the weird thing is that this one work fine....no noise. What's wrong with this dac?. Is it faulty?? Have you had any problem like this? Any suggestion? Thank You in advance for your help!! P.S Sorry for my bed English.:slight_smile:

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #2,450 of 4,419
You say it was working fine with a different desktop pc. I assume that was also through the Amanero board. Is that correct? If so, then the Amanero board and the DAC are working correctly and the problem would appear to be with the second desktop pc. Are you sure that you have correctly installed the Amanero Windows 10 driver in the second desktop pc?

If you think have correctly installed the Amanero driver and it still doesn't work correctly, you might consult your pc manufacturer for support.

The only other suggeestion I can make, if everything else seems OK. is to update the Amanero firmware. But I'm not sure that would solve what seems to be a computer problem.

I use an old Asus laptop pc with usb out to the Amanero board. It works beautifully.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #2,451 of 4,419
How is the bass, does it sound warmer on the bid clock?

I got my self some TPS7A4700 waiting already

Demos, did you ever manage to implement one of those power supplies? I assume your plan was to go to an OCXO using one of those power supplies(?). If so, how did it work out? Pictures? I have same low power onboard power supply and would like to try an OCXO. Since Pulsar no longer an option...

Thanks in advance!

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #2,453 of 4,419
I am using one sitime 5157 0.5ppm .

In my opinion is great.

I tried 950x.575x and one or other and i keep going back to this.

In my opinion the best quality of it is that is very neutral to the source.
Also, has anyone tried one of these? If not, does anyone have any thoughts on the use of one of these? @b0bb mentioned that TCXO’s may be worth a try, curious if anyone has gone down that road yet...

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/SiTime/SiT5357AI-FQ-33N0-100000000X?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt8oz/HeiymAP2I3XxjUzcDvM/KsWZ5OKcKZ/G8w8qB9Q==

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #2,459 of 4,419
Yes,that is the one . I bought at arrow.com, which at the time, was cheaper.

TI, thank you.

Comparing the datasheets of the original XTAL and TCXO:
the solder footprint of TCXO is less by 2mm in both xy direction.
Did you have to solder some breakouts (legs) or
you just dropped it in the PCB`s pads without any issue ????

Operating Supply Voltage:3.3 V
Current Rating:15 mA
Output Format:HCMOS
Termination Style:SMD/SMT
Length:7.5 mm
Width:5.08 mm
Height:2.5 mm
Series:CCHD-575
Brand:Crystek Corporation

Operating Supply Voltage:3.3 V
Current Rating:45 mA
Output Format:LVCMOS
Termination Style:SMD/SMT
Length:5 mm
Width:3.2 mm
Height:0.87 mm
Series:SiT5157
Product Type:TCXO Oscillators

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #2,460 of 4,419
Thank you, what do you think how does LKS 004 compares to Resistor to Resistor DACS? Like Denafrips Ares 2?

It depends on whether the LKS is stock or modified.

The 004 is almost 3 years old now and the competition (Denafrips, Gustard, Holo etc) have closed the gap and I think the stock performance is pretty ordinary today.
LKS has not done anything in that time and has been cost cutting eg the XO regulator went from 1A to 200mA, effectively shutting the door on drop in low cost OCXOs replacements from Abracon.

The price cuts on the LKS004 we see now should not come as a surprise.

In that time, Denafrips released 2 versions of the ARES and the ARES2 NOS mode means HQPlayer can now do the heavy computational lifting. I am less concerned with the conversion technology provided DSD is properly supported. It is on the ARES 2.

DSD's SDM modulation has many advantages on paper, unfortunately I have not heard a chip or FPGA based implementation that I liked, in many cases being much worse than PCM
HQPlayer brings a substantial increase in computational power to the table in the form of CPU+GPU, the transformation is night and day.

Moving the DSP filter and upsampling processing to the PC produced such large improvements in sound quality, it made the hardware mods (XO, cap swaps, voltage regulators etc) seem like small incremental changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back