L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Nov 16, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #2,434 of 4,419
Recently I read a post in some forum, that the es9038pro is internally a 32bit DAC but the digital front end only youses 24bit.
It could be to ensure adequate volume control range (if using the LKS digital volume control) without losing bits at low volumes.

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #2,435 of 4,419
Recently I read a post in some forum, that the es9038pro is internally a 32bit DAC but the digital front end only youses 24bit.
Can that be? That would be important to know for adjusting the dithering in HQPLAYER .
If you use PCM over SPDIF you will be limited to 24 bit.

HQplayer outputting SDM over USB or I2S to the LKS has no such limitation.

Dithering on HQPlayer is only relevant for PCM output where the bit length is less than 24bits. 9038 is a SDM DAC, forcing the PCM mode only adds additional processing complication.

If the volume control is enabled the 9038 does some part of the processing in the PCM domain, I find this audibly degrades the output most notably the dynamics are compressed.

Nov 17, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #2,436 of 4,419
Thanks for all the reply :)

Yesterday I had some spear time, so I thought what would happen if I disconnected the 004 display.
Something I haven't tried jet. So I pulled the plug right at the main PCB and turned on the DAC.
Restarted the NAA and HQPLAYER........ Started the first reference track....... Wow, what a effect. That made my day.
Soundstage has become wider, but the biggest effect is depth of soundstage and clarity.

It's so surprising what is still in the music, and nobody ever hears it because the equipment just isn't good enough.
What a wonderful hobby
Cheers

Nov 17, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #2,437 of 4,419
Thanks for all the reply :)

Yesterday I had some spear time, so I thought what would happen if I disconnected the 004 display.
Something I haven't tried jet. So I pulled the plug right at the main PCB and turned on the DAC.
Restarted the NAA and HQPLAYER........ Started the first reference track....... Wow, what a effect. That made my day.
Soundstage has become wider, but the biggest effect is depth of soundstage and clarity.

It's so surprising what is still in the music, and nobody ever hears it because the equipment just isn't good enough.
What a wonderful hobby
Cheers
I guess they should have a way to turn off the display like Audio-gd (though it still leaves a small dash " - "

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #2,438 of 4,419
I guess they should have a way to turn off the display like Audio-gd (though it still leaves a small dash " - "

Yes there is. Use the remote, press the top rightmost button
upload_2019-11-17_22-38-22.png
.. the display
will turn off after a while.

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #2,439 of 4,419
I keep the display off and it has a similar effect to disconnecting it.

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #2,440 of 4,419
Have you had a chance to try the newest SR Orange? Its supposed to be significantly better than Blue and isn't too much more expensive at $160.
Yes I have bought 10 Orange fuses for my amp and UK plugs and the Orange is very good. I did not replace the Zero at the IEC of lks but instead put the Orange into the UK plug of the power cable to replace the stock fuse. Everything got improved by a big margin. Highly recommend. I have Zero UK plug fuse as well comparing them Orange is bigger dynamics Zero sounds towards polite side. I can't say which is better than which it depends on your taste and system.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #2,441 of 4,419
If you use PCM over SPDIF you will be limited to 24 bit.

HQplayer outputting SDM over USB or I2S to the LKS has no such limitation.

Dithering on HQPlayer is only relevant for PCM output where the bit length is less than 24bits. 9038 is a SDM DAC, forcing the PCM mode only adds additional processing complication.

If the volume control is enabled the 9038 does some part of the processing in the PCM domain, I find this audibly degrades the output most notably the dynamics are compressed.

Hello, would LKS 004 benefit from optical fiber hdmi connecting Su-1 and LKS? like this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_55

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,443 of 4,419
Interesting. One of the stock photos shows a different face than the others. The different face drops in the center to create an elegant angled bottom. Also, the description offers a second 957 clock for $100. I don't think I've heard of a dual clock option at any time on this thread.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #2,444 of 4,419
Hello, would LKS 004 benefit from optical fiber hdmi connecting Su-1 and LKS? like this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_55

I think this is not suitable.

This is not a full fiber cable, some part of it is copper.
Pin14 on HDMI 1.4 and newer is half of the the audio return channel which goes in the reverse direction. (LKS-->SU1)

Active cables are directional, it will attempt to amplify any signal from the LKS back to the SU1, this is not desirable as the DSDOE connection is no longer functional.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #2,445 of 4,419
Interesting. One of the stock photos shows a different face than the others. The different face drops in the center to create an elegant angled bottom. Also, the description offers a second 957 clock for $100. I don't think I've heard of a dual clock option at any time on this thread.

The 957 is for the USB interface not the master clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back