L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Nov 6, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #2,416 of 4,419
My HQP settings: poly-sinc-xtr-mp, ASDM7 512+ upsample PCM and DSD to DSD512

You appear to have ground borne noise problems, try isolating the PC with HQP from the rest of the playback chain, I use fiberoptic ethernet.

I have the iFi micro as well and found it does more harm than good when connected to the SU-1 playing high rate DSD.
I got better performance by absorbing the noise inside the SU-1 and removing the iFi from the chain.
Thanks for the feedback Bobb. Can you also please share your DSD Source settings with us?

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #2,418 of 4,419
I tried a Topping D70 (based on AKM) in my system. It was ok, but in terms of detail resolution and sheer potency it lost out big time to the LKS. For me, the LKS with a better clock is very hard to beat for detail, bass, dynamics and soundstage.

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #2,419 of 4,419
I was trying to make my mind up on going with the Lks da004 or the chord qutest. Originally I did purchase the LKS but the sale fell through. I live in the UK and in the end I went with chord as its sold locally so I could have a listen before purchasing. The chord dac is good but I it doesn't blow me away. I always wonder if the Lks would have been better but I was just put off by the fact that I was unable to listen before purchasing and any issues with the dac would involve shopping back to China.

I tried a Topping D70 (based on AKM) in my system. It was ok, but in terms of detail resolution and sheer potency it lost out big time to the LKS. For me, the LKS with a better clock is very hard to beat for detail, bass, dynamics and soundstage.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #2,421 of 4,419
I was trying to make my mind up on going with the Lks da004 or the chord qutest. Originally I did purchase the LKS but the sale fell through. I live in the UK and in the end I went with chord as its sold locally so I could have a listen before purchasing. The chord dac is good but I it doesn't blow me away. I always wonder if the Lks would have been better but I was just put off by the fact that I was unable to listen before purchasing and any issues with the dac would involve shopping back to China.
I can understand the feeling that buying an LKS is a bit of adventure, perhaps more bother than you want to endure. But these DACs seem to work without issues. IIRC, the only issue reported here a long time ago was a problem with the Amenaro board, and LKS sent a new one quickly. If there were to be a major issue, I think one would only have to send back the main board which is pretty easily lifted from the unit. Jinbo at LKS has been a great help to many people here--great English and fast replies.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #2,422 of 4,419
Did anyone try the new Topping DX7 Pro. Read some really good reviews. Same ESS as LKS and I think half the price.

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #2,424 of 4,419
Sory, I didn't express myself clearly. How are your settings in HQPlayer ( DSD source settings ) wenn converting DSD64 to DSD 512 ?
These are the settings I normally use
hqp_settings.png

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #2,427 of 4,419
Most of the ideas on the 003 can transfer over to the 004

1) OCXO for master clock
2) Vishay Z-foil metal foil I/V conversion resistor
3) Schottky diodes for digital and analog sections
4) Fast LDO regulators (TPS7A47, LT3042) for the digital sections
5) Tantalum caps for Vcom bypass
6) Nichicon FP caps for the clock and 9038 digital supply bypass
7) Polystyrene caps for the final stage analog filter
8) CGW glass caps for the analog bypass caps

Couple of new items not available during the 003's time

Vishay Z-foils are now available in SMD custom made values from Texas Components, I will probably rebuild the discrete opamps in the LKS with these.

Similarly the LT3042/3045 is available as a semi discrete package to replace the LM317s

Silicon Carbide (SiC) schottky, these are even quieter than the regular Si ones

Bigger OSCONS up to 2200uF 16V for the USB interface power supply.
Hy b0bb,
did you ever change the caps in the signal path against "CGW glass caps for the analog bypass caps" ??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back