L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #1,846 of 4,419
yes same here. i have tried keeping it on and playing my lks004 for more than a week, 24hrs a day, it always sounds the same, deep, punchy and powerful bass. i have no idea why some saying its bass is bad. it sounds differently only when i switching different usb cables. power cables and xrl cables.
OK forum, the reason why I tri to mod the 004 is not because it's a bad DAC.
No, it's really brilliant! Especially for the money ! Soundstage, tonality and dynamics.... wonderful !!!
But : :wink: as a design engineer for electronics I also know that a manufacturer has to hit a price point .
An in automatic PCB assembly you have a lot of restrictions how and where to place components.
Also components that the designer would like to have are not always available .

And........ I just like to play around with electronics :)
So when I started messing around with the amanero board I knotest that the sound changes dramatically when I change something.
That's all. It's a hobby. Nothing to get upset about.
It's like a very kompex pussel . Find out where lks had to save money, or ran out of time to market.

So, if you have a very, very reveling system it's easy to hear the difference while you experiment.
And sometimes you achieve a step forward, but most of the time it's too steps backwards. :frowning2:
But with members like b0bb thing get a little easier.

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,847 of 4,419
You mentioned that you have had the DAC over 2 years, consider changing out the 8 powersupply bypass caps around the I/V converter
These are either Nichicon FG or MUSE, rated at 1000hours @85ºC, replace those with Panasonic FM at the same capacitance value and operating voltage. FMs are 105ºC 5000hour caps.

Other alternatives are the Nichicon FPCap or the Nichicon KA if you want the FG or MUSE type sound. KAs have 2000hour lifetime at 105ºC
How does the sound differ . Can you please describe the the differences a little bit more in detail.

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #1,848 of 4,419
For isolation of the sensitive Crystek clock, my LKS is on 4 Black Ravioli Big Pads on an Electric Beach S1NX shelf, itself on RDC Cones, on my system rack which is also on RDC Cones on a tiled floor.

Regarding IIS connection, I'll be doing that as soon as an HDMI board arrives for my streamer. Meanwhile, I'm using the BNC input which sounds very good.
You are doing it exactly right . You allways have to stack up different resonance frequencys. Than you get silence . That's the whole trick.
You can check the vibration with a seismic app on your iPad.
Cheers

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,849 of 4,419
You can check the vibration with a seismic app on your iPad.
Yes, I do that with a seismic app on my Android phone. It's amazing what you can learn about isolation by placing it on different surfaces while playing music.

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #1,850 of 4,419
How does the sound differ . Can you please describe the the differences a little bit more in detail.
The original Nichicon FG or MUSE mellows out the sound when used in powersupply bypass. The KA is a high temp version of this cap.
That was useful in taming the extended top end of the CCHD575, once this is changed over to the CCHD950 it is no longer necessary.

Panasonic FM is a neutral cap that contributes very little of its own sonic signature, it is very long life cap that can operate at extended temps.

Nichicon FPCap is another candidate @Whitigir used it.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #1,851 of 4,419
Evening all,
I was pondering over purchasing this dac for a while but in the went with a chord qutest as I live in the UK and its a British made unit with a good warranty. I still keep an eye on this forums and just wondering if anbody had compared the Lks to the qutest or Hugo 2.

Feb 13, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #1,852 of 4,419
Evening all,
I was pondering over purchasing this dac for a while but in the went with a chord qutest as I live in the UK and its a British made unit with a good warranty. I still keep an eye on this forums and just wondering if anbody had compared the Lks to the qutest or Hugo 2.
lks004 is supposed to compared to Dave

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #1,855 of 4,419
But does it compare? Dave must be really overpriced if it does.
you said it! :clap:

Financially, you can't compare European costs to Chinese costs (labour charges etc.). If chord is made in UK, it will cost more because the overheads are more. So, something that is £10,000 in the UK would only cost a £1000 from China.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #1,856 of 4,419
Most comparisons between Dave and LKS that I have come across online, have all stated that the Dave wins hands down. I was just interested in a comparison between my chord qutest and the lks as they are priced the same. Also the introduction on the new chord m scaler is supposed to take the qutest to a whole new level (as well as my bank overdraft limit)

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #1,857 of 4,419
Most comparisons between Dave and LKS that I have come across online, have all stated that the Dave wins hands down. I was just interested in a comparison between my chord qutest and the lks as they are priced the same. Also the introduction on the new chord m scaler is supposed to take the qutest to a whole new level (as well as my bank overdraft limit)

Qutest and M scaler is a $7k bundle though isn't it? That's obviously a whole different stratosphere in terms of price point. I probably got lucky but only paid $750 for a used DA004. Using it with ELAC Navis powered speakers and SU-1 and am happy with this combo for around $3k. I'm going to try a Gustard U16 in place of SU-1 and keep the one I like best. Was able to get the U16 on Ebay for $260.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #1,859 of 4,419
I heard the Dave and Empyrean from CanJam, and IMO, a good clock on lks-004 will run circle around it. A lot of Hype and seems like people presently prejudiced any equipment with associated cost.

The mini-GSX is being looked down by many people, and I can tell you that it can run circle around many of the so called expensive high-end amplifier all day long. Just because it is priced affordable, people prejudice it too much

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,860 of 4,419
I heard the Dave and Empyrean from CanJam, and IMO, a good clock on lks-004 will run circle around it. A lot of Hype and seems like people presently prejudiced any equipment with associated cost.

The mini-GSX is being looked down by many people, and I can tell you that it can run circle around many of the so called expensive high-end amplifier all day long. Just because it is priced affordable, people prejudice it too much
+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back