L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Mar 2, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #496 of 4,419
@ToTo Man: The fuse isn't bypassed because they left the ends of the fuse unwrapped. The foil only covers the sides if you will.

Every buyer's risk tolerance is different. In order for me to feel comfortable buying a product that has had known issues in early production series I would want to hear from a number of owners who have owned the product for some period of time and have not had issues. I would also want to know the employment conditions of their DAC (such as open or closed rack and how much space between the top of the LKS and anything above it). The manufacturer or a spokesman explaining how the company solved the issue would be very helpful, but again, I'd want a few owners to confirm they haven't had issues post-remedial measures before I purchased.

As that applies to the LKS, I believe the method used to cure the heat issues was mentioned a few months ago in this thread. It involved moving some other parts away from the Sabre chips, and may have involved improving heat dissipation directly as well. I employ my LKS on the top shelf of an open rack, so it has nothing above, in front of, or behind it, and nothing within several inches of its sides. I bought my unit the weekend after Thanksgiving, took receipt just after Christmas (due to having it shipped to a company for power supply upgrade first) and have had the unit powered on continuously since with no issues. Anecdotal, but between at least Lenny, dcguy73 and me, that's a good start toward assurances the remedial measures worked.

It's a friendly group of users here, so please feel free to post more questions as they come to you. :)

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #497 of 4,419
Toto man,

I like you, have PCM through-and-through, simply because my music is not available in any higher resolution. I simply use USB-to-USB, using JRiver, and simply listen to music. The settings are there to play with, but I find little difference listening through loudspeakers in a very bright room. I simply leave the bandwidth to 01 since the manual says this reproduces the best sound quality, and use the Slow-M filter Can I tell the difference between it and my Resonessence Concero HD? Not really, I can't unplug/plug them that fast to be able to detect difference, and perhaps the only apparent differences are with DSD/DXD, but none the less, it still sounds great. Concero HD at the office at work, LKS MH-004 at home with my Legacy Calibre speakers.

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #498 of 4,419
@ToTo Man, to add what @aggielaw said above, I have had no technical problems with the LKS DAC at all. I got mine in September 2017 and I believe all the technical issues in early units had been worked out by then.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #499 of 4,419
I have 004 since as soon as February first batch. I have 0 issues with heat dissipation. Hell, I have been using KG Amps and Stax 009, and lately the KG T2 amplifier. If anything would burn first. It would be my amp, then my house, and then the 004.

I did 0 modification to the 004.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #500 of 4,419
80CCFD5C-231F-428A-BD0C-CCD03DE871E3.jpeg

Short review on the LKS MA004.

I will try to be as throughout and as much expressive as I could in the while keeping it simple and don’t bore your mind out. Please bare with me

Sound signature: Fluidity, musicality, slightly warmth (not your typical ESS Sabres)
Sound stage: Vastly Gigantic, superbly accuracy and instrumentation’s placements, yet so clean.

So I have this unit as soon as last year in February or March, and was one of those first that adopted this piece of equipment. The reason I went for this piece is simply, I have been loving crisps treble, details, resolutions, and clarity from Sabres ESS. I could not wait for the next generation DAC that sport not only 1 single ESE9038Pro, but dual ESS9038Pro. Because the highest Dynamic range of 140Db is from using 1 chip per channel. Luckily, LKS did come out with it as soon as possible, and with everything they tried to describe in specifications, and technical, it is impressive.

Why is this Dynamic range so important to me ? Because Dynamic range is what depict how realistic something will be. Human can tolerate up to about 140Db before threshold of pain. There are no other DAC chip that can handle such prowess at this moment.

Anyways, so implementations and engineering’s are importants. Yes, and for everything that is engineered within this 004 is the very top of the ancient technology, such as power supply, amplifications and Analog signals. Not only that, this 004 also sport Exotic materials such as Wima capacitors, nicheCon Audio grade capacitors, Femto Crystals, OCC wires. After all, how does it sound in more in-depth ?

7BFA7647-ECAE-4D72-8302-7913F91D05C2.jpeg

The sound that I am hearing and observing out of my System: KG T2, 004, and Stax SR009. I have silver wires everywhere that I can possibly put, power cord, usb, interconnect, chassis wires....etc. Now, finally I can try to express what I am hearing. I have been throwing Silver to this system to challenge it and see how much it can tolerate. So far, every Silver contributed is an improvements in the system. That is to simply put of how capable this DAC is

Spaciousness, it is so huge, vastly gigantic, and yet Vocal are so spot on. It can be close intimidating or a bit further away depends on how the records were intended. But simply put, Vocal can be a slight bit forward and intimidating

Details are everywhere, so much resolutions, so vivid, and that nothing is lacking or voided ( usually incapable system will have this voided spaces that can leave the listener to wonder if there is something there ? Or is it not ? Mainly those plays that are meant to be presented far far away, and or very high in the spectrum, and can be found in Ballads, Jazz, some instruments genres ). Is it harsh ? Nope, it is very smooth, and musical. Remember the Dynamic range and the pain threshold ? Ever try standing next to a cymbals and thwack it real hard without your ears plugs ? Yes, it is very painful. Now, through engineering and artists, there are filters applied in place of earplugs. It depends on how, when, where, whom the records were made, there are slight alteration to the tonal timbres of Cymbals and other instruments. Such little differences would be shown very very throughoutly in the 004. Such vivid details could be presented as sibilants or brightness if the system is incapable, and further usages of Silver as the materials will further enhance this effects, the main culprit to give Silver the bad reputation. 004 is very capable, and no matter how much Silver I throw at it, it keep achieving better trebles crispness, vivid resolutions, vivid timbres, extensions presentations. This is where it get the money and yet LKS even slightly emphasizes the warmth into the overall signature to further smoothing out the crazy capability of treble reproductions and resolutions to remain Musical with a touch of Emotion

4988DF53-D05C-4680-B2C5-62BABD945CA8.jpeg

Digital harshness is virtually non existent . It would be those grainy, edgy feeling that you feel, and or sometime make you cringes your teeth in a horrible way or even take the musicality enjoyments out of your listening sessions. Even with everything I have in my system that is all capable or revealing, I still can not hear this effect.

Analogue sound ? Yes, I would say that it is very analogue sounding as it is a very slight bit warmth and the presentation is not your typical ESS Sabres, but if you did not know it was a Sabres, you wouldn’t be able to comprehend how it does carry the crisps and the details extensions of such crazy trebles presentation either. LKS has Perfected tuning for Sabres, and it is worthy to be categorized high-end, high performance, high fidelity DAC in my opinion.

Speed ? There is not a single phase that can express this feeling. It appears to be very effortless in presenting and reproducing different instruments segments, plays, or each individual speed. It also does so vividly. It is so easily to observe a lingering sub bass from the grand drum, while catching up to those speedy hand cymbals within a vast ocean of other instruments within the track. Even the resonances within an individual instrument timbres are vividly represented. Musicality and resolution you ask ? Yes, full of it, and spot on.

254A9086-BA1F-4041-9F5B-72BE2D767C05.jpeg

Background or floor noises ? Superbly clean and clear in an unbelievable way.

Specially is the bass. It is a slight bit blooming, slight bit warmth, and yet remain on the edge of neutrality and naturalness, but also musicality and emotional enough that even my system is so capable of revealing, I still find bass so be superbly satisfying in both Quantity, Quality, and further more Fidelity

Distortions? Virtually non existed for such high-end references point of view, and perhaps will only be observable when it is intended, and how can I tell ? Because it only appears in Majority of Ballads or depressing, dramatic tracks, and appear as a part of special individual instruments or plays. The rest of everything is just so clean and clear.

Channel balances: out of XLR, the balances are perfectly balances. The flows and continuity of different panning effects are well connected, the presentations are so accurate and spots on. Usually, when channel imbalances even in the slightest bit will be picked up and realized by our brain power. In this instant we would be very confused as to the positioning and presentations of different instruments are not constantly spot on. 004 has everything constantly spot on and is impossible to be confused between different presentations and positioning.

Whenever I turn this system on, I feel like I can easily hold, and split different plays, instruments that I would like to follow. It makes my music collections to be so full of soul, full of enjoyments and every listening session is a bliss.

Pricing, I will let you as the judge, but from my own point of view, I can not thank LKS enough for such performances to pricing ratio this 004 is being sold at.

Thank you for your time and efforts to read through my own impressions, observations. It should be used as points of interests rather than references to make a decisions on, because what I am hearing and enjoying may not be the same for you. I would recommend you to give this unit a try somewhere/somehow before making a final decision

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #503 of 4,419
I take back what I said about the LKS DAC being dry and detailed. To be honest, the sound was fine until I recently acquired the HE1000v2s, after which I experienced some sibilance and fatigue and "dryness." I swapped out my silver headphone cable for an OCC copper one and the sound was much better, but still not great some of the time. I then figured out that the LKS DAC/HE1000v2s combo was shining a light on any poorly-recorded music I listened to, so the fault was not the LKS DAC itself. All of my well-recorded music sounded detailed and full but definitely not "dry." With my less-revealing headphones, I did not experience the "dryness" issue at all.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #505 of 4,419
I've ordered my LKS, should arrive tomorrow/after tomorrow.

Now to find a headphone amp that will play nicely with it.... Without breaking the bank.

Good for you! You'll definitely enjoy it.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #507 of 4,419
Thanks, really looking forward to spending some time with it.

Also thanks for your previous input, knowing there are people keeping this thread alive helped me with my decision.

If the DAC hasn't shipped yet, you should ask the dealer to upgrade the firmware for the Amanero USB board for you prior to sending. I wish I had done that.
As far as a matching amp goes, I would recommend one with a little warmth.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #508 of 4,419
If the DAC hasn't shipped yet, you should ask the dealer to upgrade the firmware for the Amanero USB board for you prior to sending. I wish I had done that.

For once I had the foresight to check if everything was up to date and that it was from a recent batch of production. Thankfully on both counts it is.

Noted, bit of warmth it is.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #509 of 4,419

Quick update. Received the LKS yesterday, really enjoying the sound straight out of the box.

It matches my other equipment really well. I've plugged it into my balanced mains unit at that really thickened things out nicely.

It looks like I might have to play around with drivers after all, as I use a roon endpoint (Allo Usbridge) which runs off Linux OS architecture and I'm lead to believe there is now an amenaro driver/firmware that allows up to dsd 512 over Linux.

My question is, where did you download the drivers you updated your unit with, directly from the amenaro website? It's a bit sparse and unintuitive.

I keep seeing references made to a '2000be' driver but it's nowhere to be seen on their site, there is only a 1099rc1.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #510 of 4,419
Hi,
I have a usb board firmware update question. I followed the process and no problem at all updating . I just wanted to know which version is the latest for cpu flash, I used 1096c. There is also 1096c4w2, 10963w2, 1096d_RJ. Could someone clear this up for me?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back