L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Mar 13, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #526 of 4,419
I haven't bothered to look at the firmware version of my unit, but if an update is available what would be the benefit of flashing it?

Thanks!

well the value for me would be in the playing of hi-rez .dsf files directly, ie. without software intervention...at this point, I only have one such album [ a DSD256 download] and the rest of my stuff is all either my own rips at DSD64 or downloads at 64 or 128, so it is more a matter of a spare time project, as the LKS4 already plays hi-rez .flac quite well just as it is...

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #527 of 4,419
I am able to play bitstream direct DSD files of any bit length directly from jriver via ASIO to my LKS without conversion to PCM or otherwise. Not a single issue usually at DLL of 6 or 7. This is dsf or dff files as well as SACD iso files.

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #528 of 4,419
I am able to play bitstream direct DSD files of any bit length directly from jriver via ASIO to my LKS without conversion to PCM or otherwise. Not a single issue usually at DLL of 6 or 7. This is dsf or dff files as well as SACD iso files.

...well I have played with JRiver and HQPlayer as well, and understand that they can do some fun DSP stuff, but I settled on mpd and it's more straightforward approach a while ago...perhaps because my usual music choices these days are more acoustic jazz and classical than anything else...guess I just look to get the bits to the amp with as little fuss as possible

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #529 of 4,419
...well I have played with JRiver and HQPlayer as well, and understand that they can do some fun DSP stuff, but I settled on mpd and it's more straightforward approach a while ago...perhaps because my usual music choices these days are more acoustic jazz and classical than anything else...guess I just look to get the bits to the amp with as little fuss as possible

Yes, the straight forward approach is often the best. My LKS came last November and it's default firmware is 10963w2. On windows 10 64-bit, it plays up to DSD512. From what I know, this firmware will only play up to DSD128 on a linux source. But really, there is hardly any material out there that is higher than that anyway. SACD iso is only DSD64, and so are most dsf unless you up sample these files yourself. So firmware upgrade is not really necessary unless you intend to up sample and on linux. I am unhappy with Amanero because they don't tell much about what the different version of firmwares are for (except sometimes a one line vague description in the oem tool) and not clear which version is the latest for what. I do up sample myself but more as a hobbyist. For me, it's like people adding loads of crapifiers between the source and the dac. Do they improve the sound or do they just make you think or wish that's the case.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #530 of 4,419
Yes, the straight forward approach is often the best. My LKS came last November and it's default firmware is 10963w2. On windows 10 64-bit, it plays up to DSD512. From what I know, this firmware will only play up to DSD128 on a linux source. But really, there is hardly any material out there that is higher than that anyway. SACD iso is only DSD64, and so are most dsf unless you up sample these files yourself. So firmware upgrade is not really necessary unless you intend to up sample and on linux. I am unhappy with Amanero because they don't tell much about what the different version of firmwares are for (except sometimes a one line vague description in the oem tool) and not clear which version is the latest for what. I do up sample myself but more as a hobbyist. For me, it's like people adding loads of crapifiers between the source and the dac. Do they improve the sound or do they just make you think or wish that's the case.

...yes, I agree, as I said it's more of a spare time project than any real need...and I am puzzled by Amanero also, their website is lacking a lot of information that would be helpful, and yet they helped out with getting the updated driver in the mainline kernel but then do not provide a way to use the driver by providing a utility to update the firmware--or even just allow the driver developers access to the source code to compile the utility for linux and mac

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #531 of 4,419
I am not trying to be smart. Serious. I am currently using an Ayre QX-5 Twenty in my smaller system. I sometimes swap out a Chord Dave. I would say the Ayre is better and it is a single 9038Pro. I was wondering if this is possibly better? It has Two 9038Pro but there is a lot more than that to a DAC. I would just guess the $13,000 DAC is better but stranger things have happened. This does look very well put together. I wonder if they paid that much attention to the sound. I do not need to waste my time ordering this if I am barking up the wrong tree. I am serious here you never know stranger things have happened indeed. I would just guess this is the best China currently has to offer nonetheless. No, I am not kidding money goes much further in China. Who knows. Opinions on this? Thanks.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #532 of 4,419
I thought about it more and I would doubt it. Most of what you hear in a DAC is not the DAC chips themselves. Rather the output stage mostly. The chips play a role in the sound but I would say with any modern chip or FPGA maybe 15-20%. The L.K.S. has quality components but I am talking on a different level obviously. The Ayre has a clock 20X more accurate than a Femto. It has their dual Diamond output stage. Most importantly Charlie(R.I.P.) did not use the stock curve but came up with 2 in the 2 programmable slots. Both recognized as being far better than the stock curves. Their are even higher quality components in the rest of it. AYRE lock. Galvanicly isolated inputs. The list goes on. Much of the same can be said for the Chord DAVE. I think even the right $2,000 dac from a well known brand made in USA or JAPAN, Europe ETC. may beat this. AYRE's own Codex coes to mind. Or The Benchmark DACS plus others just to name perhaps Two.

Why? As I just said do not be so impressed by the chip(s). Mundorf, Nicjicon are okay but not best. Point in case The current Accuphase DC 950 uses 2x ES9018's for $33,000USD. It is a stellar dac and better than both the AYRE and Chord most would agree. That sort of means a ES9018K2M can do the same duty albeit at a slightly lower THD and SN. These numbers are already so high in DAC chips after 2015 that a little more does not matter much if at all. Hence my saying perhaps even the Codex would beat this thing. Same price too. It is well regarded as aiming at $6,000 DAC's.

Not sure about the L.K.S. So, given what level of equipment I am playing with I have my reservations this being better. I saw 2x ES9038PRO and thought HMM. It is all the implementation and topology and not so much any modern DAC chip(s) quite frankly. At the end of the day this is still some no name Shenzen product in a sea of them. I just do not know. I was hoping someone could perhaps inform me regarding this. I may have been right on my hunch first or now on my second thought about it. Not sure but in retrospect I kind of doubt it. It does seem novel but that does not equate to sound. Many of the best DACS out currently have 1-2 year old DAC chips for Tens of thousands of dollars. Others much cheaper may still beat it even. I just don't know but do not wish to waste money. I only buy things I will use. If anyone wishes to comment on this and not laugh at me it would be welcome.

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #533 of 4,419
The Ayre has a clock 20X more accurate than a Femto.

Just for openers, let's start here. The Ayre uses a "Morion quartz crystal-based oscillator." I've gone over the Morion site and cannot find a clock such as you describe. Actually, I'm not sure any exists with the specification you write of. Perhaps you could help here by pointing us to the Morion clock, or any clock, 20X more accurate than the Crystek 82fs clock.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #534 of 4,419
It is not on their site because it was commissioned by AYRE in conjunction with MORION it is 19fs or something but don't quote me on that. I am just thinking I remember a demo of it by AYRE. It is not crystal but Diamond or something if I also remember correctly. I will admit if I am wrong. Since I am not entirely sure. The point is it is a $13,000 DAC and DAVE is around that as well. I do not know anything about L.K.S. I saw 2x 9038PRO but you see my second thought on this.

Anyways, no need to argue that point. I was just honestly wondering how good this L,K.S. is. I am not kidding. Like I said you never know....
The board looks pretty darn good for China. Plus 2x 9038PRO. However like I also said I do not know what else the circuit is, if they have custom programmed the 9038's and most importantly how it sounds. I am being serious because our Dollar goes a lot further in China of course. For all I know this is like a $50,000 DAC, or perhaps pretty good but not spectacular. I know nothing about this thing other than their Changlish.

My second guess was no way it is replacing the QX-5, DAVE or even Codex,Benchmark or heck Teac, Oppo. I have no idea what level this thing is at. I do not know if people are buying it for price Vs. specs or if it is a tour de force. For some reason it has caught my eye. However I only wish to purchase things I will use. I have no idea where the sound quality lies on this thing. It would be helpful if someone could compare it to a well known DAC at a given price point. Is it akin to $2,500 or $50,000? I am not trolling, if it is superb I would really like it. Since I am not trolling I would hope anyone that comments is honest. It has to be someone that knows though not someone that this is their only experience please.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #535 of 4,419
Audio-GD has one too, albeit more expensive. I see these companies with 2x 9038 are :downgrading" the spec of 1 chip to make 2 chips look better. I guess this is typical Chinese stuff. For beginners. Most posts on these DAC's be them 1 or 2 chips are by 100+ Head-Fier's. I think I can answer my own question. Also having an MSB Select. These are for a different market than myself apparently. Most bang for the buck. I take it these are not reference quality, end game DAC's.

I also see that there is not even a lot of interest in L.K.S. let alone similar DAC's with 1 chip. These are not hundreds of pages long like high end name brand DAC's often are. I think that is what it boils down to. These product's offer someone a lot for a little but they are not super high end products. I am sure most actual high end DAC's with just 1 9038 or FPGA or R2R or even 9018k2m will wipe the floor with almost all of these Chinese products. That is my understanding.

Again, I am not trolling. I really hoped this or others were incredible regardless of their respective prices. If I am wrong I hope someone will correct me. I hope this is better than true TOTL DAC's. That would be great. Apparently there is so little interest in these that no one has yet to answer the question I have posed several times now. After this I shall drop it. I also will refrain from purchasing any no name Chines gear. I do not know where I got the idea that these are better than well known TOTL, end game DAC's. I kind of doubt they are. Who knows.........

I was truly interested in this but for whatever reason I guess I shall never know. I am certainly not one to Gamble $1,600. Even though I have DAC's here 50x that price. Regardless, I do not waste money no matter what the sum. Perhaps you guy's are all too busy laughing at me? I really wish I knew how these sound but not buying one to find out. Why I was hoping for help from those here. Oh well. It is not like I am lacking in DAC's anyways but I always welcome other great components. If indeed it is at that level. I know nothing about these Chinese components seemingly flooding the market. I did wish to however. It is also interesting to date AFAIK no true high brand has implemented dual 9038's. Some did implement dual 9018's or a single 9018K2M. In fact some are currently. It is really not the chip that matters so much after a certain point. I know that much.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #537 of 4,419
Not only a troll, but a stupid one. Doesn't know anything about clocks, or math for that matter. Pure BS. Expresses infatuation with very expensive DACs. Probably listens to an old Sony. Time to ignore this fool. Let's all hope that he doesn't buy an LKS so that he'll be soon gone.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #538 of 4,419
thanks again Lennym for the Amanero instructions...tried both the 2003be and the 2003be_71a, went back to the 1096 and then back again to 2003be...seems stable enough but seems to want more phase lock bandwidth with DSD than has been reported here...have put a Regen in the signal path and will play with it more

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #539 of 4,419
thanks again Lennym for the Amanero instructions...tried both the 2003be and the 2003be_71a, went back to the 1096 and then back again to 2003be...seems stable enough but seems to want more phase lock bandwidth with DSD than has been reported here...have put a Regen in the signal path and will play with it more
I'd be interested to know how the Regen works out. What PS are you using? I recently scored a used Intona (industrial version) and I like it. Placed between my laptop and the LKS seems to give me some extra clarity and consistency over time. Main purpose is to isolate LKS from whatever the computer is doing that might degrade.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #540 of 4,419
I was not kidding. On the basis that our Dollar goes much further there. This looking to be the best they have to offer in this segment. For all I know this is really outstanding. Even amongst DAC's many times it's price. Or it could be some Chinese junk. I was just hoping someone could tell me where this lies. IE, what name brand DAC is the best it stacks up against. I see that the "Elders" here have no interest in this. So don't worry I will move on. Nice idea of mine but really stupid I guess. Most likely this can not compete with a Teac or Oppo is why few got defensive. I think that pretty much spells it out. I guess honestly it is Mid-FI at best. I apologize for intruding upon your thread.

As for my math That is funny. Look at Ayre's specs. Looking on Morion's site of all things. I have a good feeling my question was unanswered because this is absolutely not anything special. Perhaps I should ask is it as good as a $200 DAC? Okay, now I am trolling. I had good intentions but they were met with insults and sarcasm. It is no sweat off my back to pass by a subpar product made in a factory with a dirt floor by child laborers most likely. If the end result was incredible sound I could care less but apparently that is not the case. A more serious question prevails however. Wouldn't those with a $1,600 budget be better served by the likes of Oppo, Teac, Ifi, Meridian ETC? Also being Chinese all of them but perhaps not slapped together. Good luck if you need warranty and they do not cover burned down house.

You do not have to worry I will not be back to this thread. Since I honestly I had very little interest in such an item to begin with. As a seasoned professional I may suggest purchasing products from established companies with a US presence. Pacific valve Co. went out of business due to all the casualties related to the products they were importing from China. Is this UL, CE rated? I think I can answer that. Anyways have fun with this thing. Not sure what the allure is over name brand items even if of Chinese origin. No one cared to tell me. OH-Well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back