L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Sep 22, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,351 of 4,419
The Panasonic FM + CGW will probably fit that role, they have a slightly leaner presentation than the Nichicon FGs but dynamic punch improves somewhat once the CGWs are added.
The Nichicons (Muse/FG) sounds very lush at the expense of blurring out soundstage details.

The TK caps seem like a side grade of the existing Nichicon FG caps, endurance under hot conditions not much better, 85°C for 1000 hours

I see no harm in trying if you do not mind the hassle of removing the caps

Thank you! I agree very much with what you said above. I will try and look for Panasonic one

Sep 22, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #1,352 of 4,419
It's the CVHD950x I had put on earlier

@demos , I didn’t notice the 950X picture at first look! Are you playing with it ? X_X. Keep us updated :D

I just got a AOCJY3 deliver yesterday, still waiting for the dual LT3045 PCB, but can try with the tps7a47 for now

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/aocjy3-100.000mhz-f/abracon

The AOCJY3 is not gold plated like your AOCJY2 btw

3.pic.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-22_16-28-8.png
    upload_2018-9-22_16-28-8.png
    300 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #1,358 of 4,419
DAC left powered on about 12hours to let the OCXO settle.

Presentation especially sound stage is considerably wider than stock, I use the HD800 which has a wide soundstage so this came as a pleasant surprised when it widened even more.
No longer falls apart on complex EDM type tracks, makes easy work of the highly compressed EDM albums.

Overall a very balanced presentation, instrumental and acoustic music does not lose its subtle details, instead little details like the musicians shuffling around while playing become more discernible.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #1,359 of 4,419
Dac has been powered on about 12hours to let the OCXO settle.

Presentation especially sound stage is considerably wider than stock, I use the HD800 which has a wide soundstage so this came as a pleasant surprised when it widened even more.
No longer falls apart on complex EDM type tracks, makes easy work of the highly compressed EDM albums.

Overall a very balanced presentation, instrumental and acoustic music does not lose it subtle details, instead little details like the musicians shuffling around while playing become more discernible.
very nice work!

Sep 23, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #1,360 of 4,419
Moved the Pulsar over from the 003 to the 004

1)Stock CCHD575

2)Extracted Stock XO

3)XO Pads on PCB

4) XO socket taped down waiting for soldering

5) Underside of board below XO socket

6) Add flux and solder.

7)Cleanup flux

8)Pulsar in its new home
Hi, do you know if and when the Pulsar team are back in action. Their website says Autumn but we are well into Autumn now.

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,362 of 4,419
I don't know when they will be back. Just check in with them every couple of months.

I was on the wait list for 1 year for the one you see above.
Such a coincidence I got a reply back from Mauro just now. The 100 mhz is not available but he said the 98mhz or the 90mhz will provide exactly the same performance. So I order one of those. Any thoughts on frequency difference? They have good sales price on now as well.

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,363 of 4,419
Such a coincidence I got a reply back from Mauro just now. The 100 mhz is not available but he said the 98mhz or the 90mhz will provide exactly the same performance. So I order one of those. Any thoughts on frequency difference? They have good sales price on now as well.

Are you sure ? Why don’t you use the Abracon instead

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,364 of 4,419
9038 has a register that contains the ratio between the master clock and the max audio bitclock.

If the frequency of the master clock is changed this register value needs to be altered, the microcontroller in the front panel display programs the 9038, the software inside also has to be changed.

If you still want to try the 98MHz clock, check with Pulsar to see if they will accept a return in the event this does not work for you.

Sep 23, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #1,365 of 4,419
9038 has a register that contains the ratio between the master clock and the max audio bitclock.

If the frequency of the master clock is changed this register value needs to be altered, the microcontroller in the front panel display programs the 9038, the software inside also has to be changed.

If you still want to try the 98MHz clock, check with Pulsar to see if they will accept a return in the event this does not work for you.

They'll advice you to buy a cheap 98Mhz clock to try first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back