L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Mar 13, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #3,466 of 4,419
Post a picture, I think yours was 74AC244D, lower current output version of the 74HC244D.
74ALVC has higher current output.

I think you should eliminate the software player as possible cause before modifying the hardware.

If you have the 74AC244, and want to use the 74ALVC244 the ceramic cap in the red squares have to be replaced with Polymer caps.
I use the 820uF Nichicon FP-RNL
74AC244D_ESL57.png

Thank you, it looks like an another great mod as important as replacing the galvanic isolator.

What software player do you recommend?
I am using the Daphile with the RT kernel.

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #3,467 of 4,419
Thank you, it looks like an another great mod as important as replacing the galvanic isolator.

What software player do you recommend?
I am using the Daphile with the RT kernel.
If you are looking for a better playback setup than Daphile, take a look at Roon or HQplayer.

The main playback/processing engine is separated from the audio endpoint.
It does not need to compete for resources with the playback engine
Audio endpoint is solely responsible for delivering data to the DAC, most importantly the buffering and flow control of that data.

Flow control when properly implemented, eliminates the audio dropout issues and popping noises.
This reduces jitter of the audio feed going into the DAC.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,468 of 4,419
If you are looking for a better playback setup than Daphile, take a look at Roon or HQplayer.

The main playback/processing engine is separated from the audio endpoint.
It does not need to compete for resources with the playback engine
Audio endpoint is solely responsible for delivering data to the DAC, most importantly the buffering and flow control of that data.

Flow control when properly implemented, eliminates the audio dropout issues and popping noises.
This reduces jitter of the audio feed going into the DAC.

When using the USB input I don't have any problems with the dropouts, I am using the lowest DPLL setting.

Thank you, I will take a look at Roon.

My daphile (squeezelite) is configured similar to:
https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/p/in-part-3-of-audio-engine-series-id.html

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #3,469 of 4,419
What operating system software and player are you using to send DSD to the DAC?
004 is quite fussy about the quality of the DSD sent to it.

Have you tried HQPlayer ?
Time limited demo is free, available for Linux/Windows/Mac.

Try it with Amanero, no driver needed for Linux/MAC, ASIO driver needed for Windows.
Bobb that was my starting point, discarding that the source of the noises was the USB (Amanero with the power supply the same as yours) then Gustard u16 the same, or the playback software, I tried with HQplayer, Foobar2000, Vcl amp, etc, multiple changes of desktop pc, laptop (with battery only), windows 10, windows7 both 32 and 64 bit versions. Something I don't understand is that if the noises are occurring, if you turn off the LKS and turn it on again the sound clears for a few seconds (quite a few) and then they come back again.
Also remember that there were users This first version of LKS004 (17-04 firmware) that reported this same problem here, I think I remember someone from Australia, which makes me think that something was corrected in later versions. I also tried to turn on without connecting the connector of the front display / keyboard module, the dac continues to work anyway, it will keep the setting parameters the same, only that they cannot be seen or changed as is logical, this module is not the cause either. Another user would surely have thrown away this dac, for me it became a fun / entertainment and a challenge to be able to find the cause.

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #3,470 of 4,419
Bobb that was my starting point, discarding that the source of the noises was the USB (Amanero with the power supply the same as yours) then Gustard u16 the same, or the playback software, I tried with HQplayer, Foobar2000, Vcl amp, etc, multiple changes of desktop pc, laptop (with battery only), windows 10, windows7 both 32 and 64 bit versions. Something I don't understand is that if the noises are occurring, if you turn off the LKS and turn it on again the sound clears for a few seconds (quite a few) and then they come back again.
Also remember that there were users This first version of LKS004 (17-04 firmware) that reported this same problem here, I think I remember someone from Australia, which makes me think that something was corrected in later versions. I also tried to turn on without connecting the connector of the front display / keyboard module, the dac continues to work anyway, it will keep the setting parameters the same, only that they cannot be seen or changed as is logical, this module is not the cause either. Another user would surely have thrown away this dac, for me it became a fun / entertainment and a challenge to be able to find the cause.
Have you tried to use a low DSD rate, if not lock it down to DSD64 and see what happens, check the display shows DSD64.
It is worth checking this again to confirm what DSD rate this problem is heard.

Measure the voltage output of the LT1763's supplying the 9038, nominal voltage output is 1.2V, nominal input voltage is 5V
Do this at cold start where you are not hearing the noise, repeat the measurement when you hear the noise.

Clean up the soldering mess, there is flux residue everywhere, especially around the I/V input and XO.
IV_Flux_mess.png

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #3,471 of 4,419
Have you tried to use a low DSD rate, if not lock it down to DSD64 and see what happens, check the display shows DSD64.
It is worth checking this again to confirm what DSD rate this problem is heard.

Measure the voltage output of the LT1763's supplying the 9038, nominal voltage output is 1.2V, nominal input voltage is 5V
Do this at cold start where you are not hearing the noise, repeat the measurement when you hear the noise.

Clean up the soldering mess, there is flux residue everywhere, especially around the I/V input and XO.
IV_Flux_mess.png
Thanks Bobb, I already have new work to do on my diabolical toy, if I don't get it sometime, I'll finally have to call an exorcist, I still have psychophonies of some spirit inside (LOL).

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #3,472 of 4,419
Thanks Bobb, I already have new work to do on my diabolical toy, if I don't get it sometime, I'll finally have to call an exorcist, I still have psychophonies of some spirit inside (LOL).
If the noise is present on all 4 channels then the problem has to be in front of the DAC chips.
Digital signal chain, or as B0bb pointed out the PLL. Or noise on the clock power supply.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #3,473 of 4,419
Yes.

In order to avoid cutting the PCB trace, the resistors require special placement.

Check with someone with the needed skills and a Gen2 like @Xoverman to help get the specific implementation steps worked out.
As I do not have a Gen2, someone needs to verify that the Gen2 boards do not have the mentioned resistor.

It is likely that Gen2 boards can only accommodate 1 resistor per channel vs 2 on the Gen1, this is not an issue

Xoverman,
Are you going to add the 22ohm resistor between the Vcom cap and the analog?
If yes please let us know how to do it in the Gen2 units:)

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #3,474 of 4,419
If the noise is present on all 4 channels then the problem has to be in front of the DAC chips.
Digital signal chain, or as B0bb pointed out the PLL. Or noise on the clock power supply.
Yes,I think the solution has to be very close and in this area of the regulators close to 9038 and the clock, remember that I already changed all the lm317 for low noise modules, schottky diodes in all the rectification, I remember someone asking Jinbo about the need to update the firmware to the version of 18-08 and said that it was not necessary, I do not think this is but I am no longer certain of anything.

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #3,480 of 4,419
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back