L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Sep 6, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #2,356 of 4,419
69810299_532378810638059_5481187089347248128_o.jpg
The big donut just arrived. It is matt finish. Waiting for the Audio Magic beeswax fuses arrived and put them together to the amp

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #2,357 of 4,419
That looks perfectly sized (the big donut) for my Pass preamp. Mine should arrive soon.

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #2,359 of 4,419

The big donut just arrived. It is matt finish. Waiting for the Audio Magic beeswax fuses arrived and put them together to the amp
Which component have you bought the Big Donut for?

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #2,361 of 4,419
The Max Donut is just a little too large for my Pass preamp toroid (I can't get the lid back on) so I'm ordering another and will use both on the twin toroids in my power amp.

Meanwhile, I have placed the freebie discs on the HDMI cable at the LKS end and the DC connector into my preamp. They are very effective at furthering musical flow, lowering noise floor and generally increasing my musical enjoyment.

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #2,362 of 4,419
The Max Donut is just a little too large for my Pass preamp toroid (I can't get the lid back on) so I'm ordering another and will use both on the twin toroids in my power amp.

Meanwhile, I have placed the freebie discs on the HDMI cable at the LKS end and the DC connector into my preamp. They are very effective at furthering musical flow, lowering noise floor and generally increasing my musical enjoyment.
I have Black discus everywhere at my home
IMG-20190804-WA0027.jpeg IMG-20190804-WA0019.jpeg IMG-20190804-WA0024.jpeg

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #2,363 of 4,419

Btw, how's the quality of Pass Labs XP-20? Any details loss at low volume? I ask this because XP-30 uses the Muses 72320 IC for volume control, which my int amp uses as well. Very good at low volume. I am not sure if XP-20 uses the same

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #2,364 of 4,419
Ok b0bb, here is my current plan (yeah, I’m probably nuts...j. I am going to get one of the 2.5A MPAudio regulators with no heat sink and I am going to try to fit it with a heat pipe - maybe this one: https://www.quietpcusa.com/Streacom-GPU-Cooling-Kit-DB4 . But I have questions/want some advice - of course, right? Ok, so here goes... in order to get the heat pipe to work, it will probably be necessary to get the condenser end outside of the LKS case and therefore will require some additional shielding to be installed over/around it, in the interest of not bringing additional RF into the case. Would you agree with that statement?

Also, we know there is already a fair amount of noise inside the case from the xformers, display, probably other components as well. Am I asking for trouble by putting this thing in there, in intimate proximity to the regulators (will be attached to the regulator board urging thermally conductive tape plus mechanical attachments)?

If the answers to the above questions point to this being a bad idea, I guess I will just stick with the 950 I already have...

Sorry for being a PITA and thank you for any insight you may have!!

Oh, one more thing, can you save me some time and point me at a good pre-regulated 5VDC source inside the LKS that would be suitable to drive this new power supply? I’m sure I can find a source in there if I poke around long enough, but I don’t want to load down a circuit that may be adversely affected by doing so...

Thank you sir!!

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #2,365 of 4,419
FWIW, I have tried the pair of small donuts for a few weeks and must report that I do not hear a benefit from them. It may be that my system is less, shall I say, sophisticated than some others here, but it was sufficiently revealing for me to hear a clear improvement from a copper barrier between the transformers and the circuit. So I conclude that the benefits from the donuts are system dependent. As they say, YMMV.

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #2,366 of 4,419
Btw, how's the quality of Pass Labs XP-20? Any details loss at low volume? I ask this because XP-30 uses the Muses 72320 IC for volume control, which my int amp uses as well. Very good at low volume. I am not sure if XP-20 uses the same
It's a superbly transparent preamp at any volume and uses the Wayne Colburn volume circuit. I don't know about the IC. My Revelation Audio DC link cable makes it perform at an ever higher level. It drives my power amp very well, an important criterion for a preamp.

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #2,367 of 4,419
I searched the thread for fuse specs for a DA004 to be used in the US and can't seem to find this info. Can anyone post the fuse specs or link to the third party fuse they purchased which would have the specs. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #2,368 of 4,419
I bought mine on Amazon and it was a good price with fast delivery.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #2,369 of 4,419
Ok b0bb, here is my current plan (yeah, I’m probably nuts...j. I am going to get one of the 2.5A MPAudio regulators with no heat sink and I am going to try to fit it with a heat pipe - maybe this one: https://www.quietpcusa.com/Streacom-GPU-Cooling-Kit-DB4 . But I have questions/want some advice - of course, right? Ok, so here goes... in order to get the heat pipe to work, it will probably be necessary to get the condenser end outside of the LKS case and therefore will require some additional shielding to be installed over/around it, in the interest of not bringing additional RF into the case. Would you agree with that statement?

That heatpipe setup handles up to 65W, for the XO regulator target a power dissipation of 3W on startup and 1W in steady state.
That big metal block is not a radiator it has to be bolted to a larger piece of metal, such as the actual PC case.

You might want to look into getting the heat pipes custom made, the link below is a place in California is an example of shops offering rapid prototyping for heatpipes used in electronics.
Prepare to spend some money if you go this route.
https://myheatsinks.com/heat-pipe-solutions/custom-heat-pipes/

Also, we know there is already a fair amount of noise inside the case from the xformers, display, probably other components as well. Am I asking for trouble by putting this thing in there, in intimate proximity to the regulators (will be attached to the regulator board urging thermally conductive tape plus mechanical attachments)?

Done correctly everything should be inside the case.

Oh, one more thing, can you save me some time and point me at a good pre-regulated 5VDC source inside the LKS that would be suitable to drive this new power supply? I’m sure I can find a source in there if I poke around long enough, but I don’t want to load down a circuit that may be adversely affected by doing so...

Thank you sir!!

The existing regulator is the second stage regulator, take the feed from that

Sep 16, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,370 of 4,419
Please recommend the HQ Player DSD settings for LKS 004. I'm listening to the classics.
Does upsampling work on DSD512? I keep getting interrupted, while the DSD 256 works.
Secondly, which Amanero firmware do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back