L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Aug 18, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,326 of 4,419
Something I think is worth mentioning here.
Before changing the fuse, I checked shenzhen audio site Q&A section, they said the spec of the fuse is 3.15A. So I went to buy a 3.15A Zero fuse. When I took out the stock Swiss Schurter Shute frozen fuse, you know what the caps on the fuse is printed 4A. My 004 have been here for more than 2 years and so far still working fine. However, I wonder if this is the cause some owners complaining their units running hot, which was discussed in the early pages in the thread.
Furthermore, the spec of the fuse should be varied with voltage. If 110V version is 3.15A, the 220V one should be around 2A. I am in Hong Kong which is 220V, and it comes with 4A!!!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #2,327 of 4,419
A fuse is for protection only. It cannot be the cause of a component running hot.

Aug 18, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #2,328 of 4,419
But 4 A, 220 VAC is too much for any DAC. If is for 110 VAC enough 3,15 A, for 220 VAC you need about 1,6 A.

Aug 20, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #2,331 of 4,419
:astonished:

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #2,332 of 4,419
Mad Scientist BlackDiscus Nano Donuts

These new products from Mad Scientist, of New Zealand, are small-ish black half doughnuts (let's get the spelling right for the UK) made of a fairly hard black material, commonly and humorously known as 'unobtainium'!

48586426331_e3eb6b4ba2_o.jpg

The Donuts are designed to sit on top of small toroidal transformers. I bought two for the transformers inside my LKS DAC (for the analogue and digital power supplies). They come with a couple of blobs of Blu-Tack ready to stick on the top plate of the toroids. Lid off, attach Donuts, lid back on. That's the installation completed!

I can only guess that they are designed to interact with the transformer's electromagnetic field in some interesting way that improves their efficiency or removes external radiation by tightening the field boundary. Pure supposition, and Mad Scientist aren't saying. What I can say is that they most certainly do work.

They make my system sound smoooooooth but without losing any of the detail or dynamics! What they do for vocals is take away the edges and make multiple vocals much, much easier to differentiate. There is a little more tonality, too, as if someone has turned up the colour a little. In London Grammar's Strong, there is deep continuo bass accompaniment and I can hear it better when Hannah Reid is giving it her all. Dire Straits’ Water of Love has some ensemble singing and the voices are much better differentiated. Kiss the Cloud by Yello features Fifi Rong singing over some very deep bass lines and again clarity is foremost, making it easy to follow both. Holly Cole's Trust in Me has a similar stark voice over piano and bass and the effect is quite striking.

Then there is the separation of instruments, for instance the three brass instruments vying with each other in Van Morrison's brilliant Satisfaction.

Really complex material like Ozric Tentacles' Magick Valley and Shpongle's Brain in a Fish Tank are rendered less complex, easier to follow the different strands of the music.

Giving it highly dynamic material like John Pattitucci's Messiaen's Gumbo is breathtaking, with huge air and detail in the snare drum and a very focussed sax to the fore.

Moving over to more difficult material, my favourite Mozart Requiem with Fruhbeck de Burgus conducting, the massed choirs in the Dies Irae section are much easier to follow and better differentiated. Vivaldi's Gloria with Preston often hits the limiters which is a shame because the performance is utterly beguiling, especially in the second movement where the different choirs are positionally highly defined.

There is nothing in the frequency spectrum, tonality or dynamics of my system that have changed. This is not a ‘hi-fi’ upgrade, it's a music upgrade and I don't have any language to describe the overall effect. It has more colour and shape, if that's any help. I can listen inside the music and hear more of what's going on.

My feelings about the BlackDiscus Nano range are that they work by some kind of ‘magic’, a science we don’t really understand, remarkably similar to the way Black Ravioli works. It matters not to me as the effects are both positive and enjoyable and the cost is not exorbitant. Highly recommended, but make sure that your system is working well before investing in these mods.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #2,333 of 4,419
Mad Scientist BlackDiscus Nano Donuts

These new products from Mad Scientist, of New Zealand, are small-ish black half doughnuts (let's get the spelling right for the UK) made of a fairly hard black material, commonly and humorously known as 'unobtainium'!

48586426331_e3eb6b4ba2_o.jpg

The Donuts are designed to sit on top of small toroidal transformers. I bought two for the transformers inside my LKS DAC (for the analogue and digital power supplies). They come with a couple of blobs of Blu-Tack ready to stick on the top plate of the toroids. Lid off, attach Donuts, lid back on. That's the installation completed!

I can only guess that they are designed to interact with the transformer's electromagnetic field in some interesting way that improves their efficiency or removes external radiation by tightening the field boundary. Pure supposition, and Mad Scientist aren't saying. What I can say is that they most certainly do work.

They make my system sound smoooooooth but without losing any of the detail or dynamics! What they do for vocals is take away the edges and make multiple vocals much, much easier to differentiate. There is a little more tonality, too, as if someone has turned up the colour a little. In London Grammar's Strong, there is deep continuo bass accompaniment and I can hear it better when Hannah Reid is giving it her all. Dire Straits’ Water of Love has some ensemble singing and the voices are much better differentiated. Kiss the Cloud by Yello features Fifi Rong singing over some very deep bass lines and again clarity is foremost, making it easy to follow both. Holly Cole's Trust in Me has a similar stark voice over piano and bass and the effect is quite striking.

Then there is the separation of instruments, for instance the three brass instruments vying with each other in Van Morrison's brilliant Satisfaction.

Really complex material like Ozric Tentacles' Magick Valley and Shpongle's Brain in a Fish Tank are rendered less complex, easier to follow the different strands of the music.

Giving it highly dynamic material like John Pattitucci's Messiaen's Gumbo is breathtaking, with huge air and detail in the snare drum and a very focussed sax to the fore.

Moving over to more difficult material, my favourite Mozart Requiem with Fruhbeck de Burgus conducting, the massed choirs in the Dies Irae section are much easier to follow and better differentiated. Vivaldi's Gloria with Preston often hits the limiters which is a shame because the performance is utterly beguiling, especially in the second movement where the different choirs are positionally highly defined.

There is nothing in the frequency spectrum, tonality or dynamics of my system that have changed. This is not a ‘hi-fi’ upgrade, it's a music upgrade and I don't have any language to describe the overall effect. It has more colour and shape, if that's any help. I can listen inside the music and hear more of what's going on.

My feelings about the BlackDiscus Nano range are that they work by some kind of ‘magic’, a science we don’t really understand, remarkably similar to the way Black Ravioli works. It matters not to me as the effects are both positive and enjoyable and the cost is not exorbitant. Highly recommended, but make sure that your system is working well before investing in these mods.
Now is time to upgrade the fuse. You will be equally surprised.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #2,334 of 4,419
Now is time to upgrade the fuse. You will have equal surprise.
Thanks, I'll think about it but I have a lot invested in SR fuses already. It's an expensive blind purchase when I don't know that it will outperform the SR Red in my LKS.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #2,336 of 4,419
I ordered black donuts last week. Looking forward to dropping them in. Love the easy non electrical tweaks. Will report my impressions soon

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,337 of 4,419
Further listening has convinced me that Bob of Mad Scientist is right about the bass using the Donuts. It is both tighter (easier to distinguish the exact note being played) and altogether more potent. Songs are boogie-ing along, driven by metronomic rhythms and bass lines. Everything has a more planted feel and comes across as more vivid and exciting.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #2,338 of 4,419
Further listening has convinced me that Bob of Mad Scientist is right about the bass using the Donuts. It is both tighter (easier to distinguish the exact note being played) and altogether more potent. Songs are boogie-ing along, driven by metronomic rhythms and bass lines. Everything has a more planted feel and comes across as more vivid and exciting.
If you like this style of improvement, you should try his power cord Nitro Nano.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #2,339 of 4,419
If you like this style of improvement, you should try his power cord Nitro Nano.

Just a general observation: this company and its products (and their effects) sound identical to a company called "Audio Magic" in Colorado. I don't know if Audio Magic is still in business, but they made fine products, albeit products that always produced a house sound. I still have an Audio Magic Nano fuse I tried a few years ago. The effect was too great in my system, but I understand why many people - especially tube lovers - esteem the products so highly.

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #2,340 of 4,419
Just a general observation: this company and its products (and their effects) sound identical to a company called "Audio Magic" in Colorado. I don't know if Audio Magic is still in business, but they made fine products, albeit products that always produced a house sound. I still have an Audio Magic Nano fuse I tried a few years ago. The effect was too great in my system, but I understand why many people - especially tube lovers - esteem the products so highly.
Their Super Fuse Bees Wax Ultimate sounds interesting. Should I try?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back