L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,891 of 4,419
Evening all,
I was pondering over purchasing this dac for a while but in the went with a chord qutest as I live in the UK and its a British made unit with a good warranty. I still keep an eye on this forums and just wondering if anbody had compared the Lks to the qutest or Hugo 2.

Hey there, I had both.. both sold. Going to buy MH-DA004 this days.. (hopefully)
If you ask me why.. bad sounsdtage, just too flat in compare to HugoTT or even Classic Hugo.
Balanced HugoTT is really way to go if you like Chord (like me...)
So curious to try this MH-DA004.

Could somebody explain me simply what is differance with USB upgrasded version?
What it has as normal version?
thx

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,892 of 4,419
I have just changed to using my LKS with I2S input (IIS-H). The sound quality is startlingly good and better than S/PDIF.

There is a small problem I would like to fix: when BNC goes into unlock at the end of the music, it mutes very graciously. With I2S, there is a loud pop when it goes into unlock and it puts a little DC into the preamp (the volume control clicks). There is no problem once the clock is received and it plays music. Is there a way to get it to mute as nicely as with the BNC and co-ax inputs?

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #1,893 of 4,419
I have just changed to using my LKS with I2S input (IIS-H). The sound quality is startlingly good and better than S/PDIF.

There is a small problem I would like to fix: when BNC goes into unlock at the end of the music, it mutes very graciously. With I2S, there is a loud pop when it goes into unlock and it puts a little DC into the preamp (the volume control clicks). There is no problem once the clock is received and it plays music. Is there a way to get it to mute as nicely as with the BNC and co-ax inputs?
Not sure why you go into unlock at the end of music. What source are you using and what do you use to for i2s output?

Feb 26, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,894 of 4,419
Not sure why you go into unlock at the end of music. What source are you using and what do you use to for i2s output?
Raspberry Pi 3 with Allo Kali I2S reclocker and HDMI send board. Volumio software.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #1,895 of 4,419
Raspberry Pi 3 with Allo Kali I2S reclocker and HDMI send board. Volumio software.

LKS004 is a master clock DAC, Allo's site mentions that this type of DAC is not compatible.
You could try to set the DPLL bandwidth to 15 to see if it mitigates the issue.
(Bangs and booms on the audio output are a symptom of PLL lock failure on the LKS)

https://www.allo.com/sparky/kali-reclocker.html
kali_compatability.png

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #1,896 of 4,419
(Bangs and booms on the audio output are a symptom of PLL lock failure on the LKS)
Interestingly, the S/PDIF inputs mute perfectly on unlock.

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,898 of 4,419
You could try to set the DPLL bandwidth to 15 to see if it mitigates the issue.
Yes, that's helped a little bit. I can put up with it for the astonishing resolution from I2S, but I'm still assessing the balance at the moment.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,899 of 4,419
TX2575-2 68.1 ohm on a Gen1.
If you have a Gen 2 (the one with the low powered XO regulator) it is 62ohms

This is a 2 module resistor that can dissipate up to 0.8W with no air flow and 1.2W with some air flow.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/l-k...s-double-impact.840938/page-117#post-14689266

Double check your unit to determine the exact one.

These are made to order by Texas Components.

This the best grade Z-foil with a non inductive layout

Thank you. How many resistors are there to change? I found on Ebay is this the same?
I think my version of dac is 2, so i will order 62 ohm ones, what about wattage doesn't matter?
Here's link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Comp...3cb102014:m:mSv7ZY4vRvxNJ1OkV8NSEtQ:rk:1:pf:0
And my DAC board :

Attachments

• DSC_0704.JPG
    DSC_0704.JPG
    952.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 27, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #1,900 of 4,419
TX2575-2 68.1 ohm on a Gen1.
If you have a Gen 2 (the one with the low powered XO regulator) it is 62ohms

This is a 2 module resistor that can dissipate up to 0.8W with no air flow and 1.2W with some air flow.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/l-k...s-double-impact.840938/page-117#post-14689266

Double check your unit to determine the exact one.

These are made to order by Texas Components.

This the best grade Z-foil with a non inductive layout

I have also 68.1 ohm resistors but in a second generation 004 and yes - it has the low powered XO regulator. Only measurements can tell what exactly is inside...

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #1,901 of 4,419
Thank you. How many resistors are there to change? I found on Ebay is this the same?
I think my version of dac is 2, so i will order 62 ohm ones, what about wattage doesn't matter?
Here's link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Comp...3cb102014:m:mSv7ZY4vRvxNJ1OkV8NSEtQ:rk:1:pf:0
And my DAC board :
You will need 4 resistors.
Order the TX2575-2 directly from Texas Components, the ones on ebay have only half of the recommended power rating.

Custom orders run between $30-$60 USD depending on the specified precision.

The I/V resistors are on the underside, if you want to be sure take a look on the underside for the exact value.

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #1,902 of 4,419
Are there any feelings about the relative sound qualities of Texas versus Vishay I/V resistors?

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #1,904 of 4,419
Hello folks, I just got my MH-DA004 with the upgraded Amanero board. last night.
I am having a problem. I hope someone here can give me some suggestions on things to look at to fix it.
When I first hooked it up I had installed the Combo384 drivers from the web site. When I plugged it in it appeared that it connected and loaded the driver. Except that Foobar failed to play anything through it "Failed to initialize driver" error. I spent a bunch of time on this Win 10 laptop to remove the driver completely tonight so I could reload it. Now it is not recognized at all by windows. If I run the USB through the Upton Regen, at least windows makes the tome that indicates something was plugged in. USB direct to the laptop gives no indication that anything has been connected. The 004 does not show up in device manager nor in the sound panel.
I tried a different laptop. This time a Windows 7 machine. Drivers loaded fine, but I got the same results. On Both machines I tried all of the available USB ports (three on each laptop) and three different cables.
BTW using the same cables and USB ports the SMSL SU8 that I also just got yesterday works fine. This should climate USB port or cable problems as the root cause, I think.
So it would seem that the Amenaro board is not enumerating to windows. I have reset the power by unplugging from the wall for periods of time... no change.
So would it be worth opening it up and trying to reseat the board? Can I do some quick checks for voltage perhaps? Is this something that has been reported before for this board.
Any assistance will be appreciated.
Darn it, I was really looking forward to listening to this thing.
Oh and unfortunately, I have no way other than USB to connect a digital player to the DAC.

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #1,905 of 4,419
You will need 4 resistors.
Order the TX2575-2 directly from Texas Components, the ones on ebay have only half of the recommended power rating.

Custom orders run between $30-$60 USD depending on the specified precision.

The I/V resistors are on the underside, if you want to be sure take a look on the underside for the exact value.

I can't see value of resistors, and to be sure which Crystek is better CCHD 950X , or CCHD 575X?

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_025427.jpg
    IMG_20190302_025427.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back