Kung Fu Hustle
Apr 16, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 27
when I first watched this movie, it was in cantonese. so it was not as fun and wacky as the other stephen chow movies I have seen in mandarin. the whole story is actually the imagination of the little boy who was beat up by the old kids. audiences usually wouldnt figure that out until the end.
biggrin.gif
by the way, there were too much special effects so, I dont think this one is as fun as shaolin soccer..BUT it left me something to think about.

Apr 16, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankcent
when I first watched this movie, it was in cantonese. so it was not as fun and wacky as the other stephen chow movies I have seen in mandarin. the whole story is actually the imagination of the little boy who was beat up by the old kids. audiences usually wouldnt figure that out until the end.
biggrin.gif
by the way, there were too much special effects so, I dont think this one is as fun as shaolin soccer..BUT it left me something to think about.

Hmmm. When I saw shaolin soccer it was dubbed in English. I couldn't stand it, it made the movie so so so bad.
mad.gif

I didn't assume the entire first movie was him just imagining things. Interesting. I actually had a totally different take on it, but you're probably right. Either way, it's awesome how people can come away from art with different impressions like that
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 27
I liked how this movie was fun/silly and stylistic, but still serious. Had life lessons and philosophical ideals, but still had bad@ss action. Just a nice balance of elements IMO

Apr 16, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankcent
w the whole story is actually the imagination of the little boy who was beat up by the old kids. audiences usually wouldnt figure that out until the end.
biggrin.gif

I know cantonese and chinese and also confirmed with many friends who are native frm HK, it's not the imagination of the boy. How did you get that impression?

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 27
Totally not what I got from the movie either. The kid at the end of the movie is a different kid.

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 27
I watched it (Kung Fu Hustle) subbed a while ago. I'm still smiling about it.
biggrin.gif

Great movie.

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 27
It's okay. That's it. little story, if any. Special effects were kinda cool. Funny.

If this is the best martial arts movie you've ever seen, than I feel sorry for you. =) (j/k)

And I agree, shaolin soccer is better. More story, if less action. The characters are a bit deeper and more likeable. And uh . . any kind of dub es muy malo.

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 27
I thought Kung Fu Huslte was awesome, tho i saw it with sub titles
it had so many homages to different martial arts movies throughout history!

very clever, but i could tell i was missing something in the word play.

it was one of the better new kung fu movies i've seen (nothing will top the original iron monkey tho)

I loved Shaolin Soccer, but it wasn't as playful in its allegory.

Buddhist Palm Fist!

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 27
It was like last year I saw this movie but I still like it and remembered clearly.

One part very funny:
When Steven ask the fat guy to kill that landlord lady, the fatguy stuck the knife into Steven. When fatguy realise the knife is at Steven arm, he pull it out and at the same time Steven said:"Don't!!!".
Fatguy said:"Oh, ok." and put it back in....
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Favorite martial arts movie, period.

You haven't seen too many HK films have you? j/k
icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I love Stephen Chow and I love Kung Fu movies... but this one just didn't work too well. It was funny and the characters were in general good, but it needed more story.

For a Stephen Chow movie I prefer Saint of Gambling or Tricky Brain (English Title
confused.gif
). For a Kung Fu movie I prefer Once Upon a Time in China or Iron Monkey. For a Stephen Chow and a Kung Fu movie I prefer Chinese Odessey (sp?).

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 27
Well, I like Gong Fu as a comedy and it's good it's a comedy, since I don't like the computer animated Kung Fu choreography like Matrix Reloaded.

For a good martial arts movies you need to have a look at classics like 36th Chamber of Shaolin (The Master Killer), etc.

Apr 16, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
I thought Kung Fu Huslte was awesome, tho i saw it with sub titles

Yes I should have mentioned the one I saw was with subtitles. They would never play dubbed movies in the theaters around here. Dubbing = death.

Quote:

very clever, but i could tell i was missing something in the word play.

Indeed! I thought there was a couple "Inside Jokes" that you'd probably only get if you were living in asia, or knew that culture/language. too bad im a whitey.
frown.gif

Quote:

it was one of the better new kung fu movies i've seen (nothing will top the original iron monkey tho)

Remind me, was that Bruce Lee or Jet Li?

Apr 16, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonhanjk
One part very funny:
When Steven ask the fat guy to kill that landlord lady, the fatguy stuck the knife into Steven. When fatguy realise the knife is at Steven arm, he pull it out and at the same time Steven said:"Don't!!!".
Fatguy said:"Oh, ok." and put it back in....
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back