Kumitate (くみたて) Lab: A Triumph and Celebration of DIY - Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #286 of 376
KL-REF: the chameleon that is able to adapt to multiple music genres it is being challenged with

After a long time, I finally decided to give a more detailed impression/review of the various models from Kumitate Lab, which I owned personally, to give the people from head-fi a better understanding of the Kumitate Lab lineups as it is pretty difficult for people outside of Japan (out of Asia exactly) to be able to audition it. I have owned the KL-REF for almost three years and ever since from the day I received it, it had always held a special place in my heart despite hearing multiple flagships iems over the years. So I shall start off this impression with what I love most about KL-REF, the bass.

Bass
The impactful rumble and deep vibration of the dynamic bass has a very special characteristic that makes me feel that it is one of the most unique iem. Ito-san choice of using a dynamic driver is because he felt that dynamic driver has the least distortion in the lower frequencies. And this is indeed evident in KL-REF, as the bass produced by KL-REF has an excellent depth and texture layering, making the presentation of drums to be really impressive and realistic. If you are a fan of rock and heavy pop music, do try the KL-REF at the MAX level, it will definitely be addictive for such genre. Though the bass presence can be pretty overwhelming for some at the MAX level, but rest assure it doesn’t interference with the other frequencies

Mids
The mids have a natural approach, without being too thicked or forward or veiled. I will describe the vocals to sound raw and organic on the KL-REF, giving a clear and emotive presentation (for both male and female vocals, whereas the KL-REF Type-S has an extra added aggressiveness and sweetness to female vocals – more to be discussed in my next review of KL-REF Type-S model). The natural mids result in a great separation, allowing you to clearly tell apart the various instruments playing in the track

High
The high frequencies are pretty much smoothened out, without having excessive dips or peaks above 10kHz, resulting the KL-REF free of any unnecessary sibilance, thus you will not feel any listening fatigue even after long hours of listening. The excellent high frequency extension of the KL-REF makes the overall soundstage and atmosphere very cohesive with the rest of the frequencies.

Overall
KL-REF to my ears is a reference/neutral in-ear monitor, without much coloration in any of the frequency range. Hence KL-REF might sound pretty dull during first few minutes of listening, but as one slowly get use to the sound signature of KL-REF, you will realise the amazing characteristics and performance of KL-REF. Coupled with a tunable bass volume, each individual can adjust the bass accordingly to match his preference and also suit to your mood and the nature of the song. Throw whatever music you have to it, be it male vocals, female vocals, anisong, pop, rock, metal, jazz, KL-REF will show to you that it is indeed a chameleon of strong adaptive characteristics and is able to perform at a high level across all the different music genres.

Also have you done a comparison between the KL-REF and the KL-REF Type S? You mentioned it briefly in your review of the REF and that's about all I could fine on the web regarding the Type S. I am trying to figure out which one is a better upgrade for me from my Sirius. Either the Ref, Ref Type-S or the Lakh. I've become quite smitten about Kumitate and would love to get one of their TOTL CIEMs. I'm just not sure which one. Also I'm trying to decide by the end of the year, since they said that they keep your ear impressions for a year.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #287 of 376
How does the imaging compare to something like the Andromeda?
In my opinion, the andromeda sounds slightly elevated and abit more hollow, compared to the more-realistic imaging of KL-REF with great sense of depth.
Also have you done a comparison between the KL-REF and the KL-REF Type S? You mentioned it briefly in your review of the REF and that's about all I could fine on the web regarding the Type S. I am trying to figure out which one is a better upgrade for me from my Sirius. Either the Ref, Ref Type-S or the Lakh. I've become quite smitten about Kumitate and would love to get one of their TOTL CIEMs. I'm just not sure which one. Also I'm trying to decide by the end of the year, since they said that they keep your ear impressions for a year.
Will try to finish up my write up of KL-REF Type S by this week so that you guys can have a better idea of the difference between the two.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #288 of 376
In my opinion, the andromeda sounds slightly elevated and abit more hollow, compared to the more-realistic imaging of KL-REF with great sense of depth.

Will try to finish up my write up of KL-REF Type S by this week so that you guys can have a better idea of the difference between the two.
I'm guessing the KL-REF is more precise than the andromeda? Kind of weird to bring it up, but I was kinda thinking, by based on what you said, its accurate for hearing footsteps (since I've been using IEMs more than headphones for gaming and listening to music as of late due to ear pain when using headphones of various weight, clamping force, and earcup sizes, due to me wearing glasses, and im looking to upgrade).

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #289 of 376
I'm guessing the KL-REF is more precise than the andromeda? Kind of weird to bring it up, but I was kinda thinking, by based on what you said, its accurate for hearing footsteps (since I've been using IEMs more than headphones for gaming and listening to music as of late due to ear pain when using headphones of various weight, clamping force, and earcup sizes, due to me wearing glasses, and im looking to upgrade).
Yes, I would say the tone of KL-REF is more accurate than andromeda

Jun 10, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #290 of 376
KL-REF Type S: Bringing your favourite female vocals close to your heart
REF-TYPE-S.jpg
KL-REF Type S has the same exact driver configuration (2dd+3ba) as the usual KL-REF, the only difference is that it is specially tuned with a focus towards female vocals. If I were to describe the KL-REF as thick and more organic, then the Type-S will be the clearer and brighter sibling.

Bass
Unlike the natural and mellow bass of the KL-REF, the Type S bass performance can be described to have faster attack with little decay, and the overall weigh of the bass tone is slightly lighter than that in KL-REF thus making the Type S to seem to have a better clarity edge over the usual KL-REF. Furthermore, due to the thickness nature of the dynamic bass driver, this cause the Type-S to not sound too cold and harsh, and in addition to that you can still feel the vibration of the ultra low frequencies. As such, Type S provide a better listening experience for tracks that involve fast-beat bass notes and drums, and for those who find the bass of KL-REF too excessive or fatiguing, KL-REF Type S might be a better choice. But due to the fast attack, the Type-S might sound less 3-dimensional that its original sibling (KL-REF).

Mids
The mids is the most interesting part of the Type S, I feel that there is the slight dip in the middle region of the low frequencies, thus giving the perception that the mids of Type S is slightly push forward. The forwardness of the mids excel in conveying the details and mood along with the change in musical atmosphere and emotional expression of the singer. This creates the feeling that female vocals (especially) is singing right beside your ear. The added sweetness to female vocals as well as the crisp instrumentals will provide you with an experience akin to sitting in the most front row of a live concert hall.

Highs
The great extension, excellent clarity and resolution of Type S creates a very airy and open soundstage, making it very obvious for listener to pick up the details in the tracks. Even though the treble of the Type S might get excessively bright and hot at higher frequencies, there isn't much sibilance issue being picked up. Every time when it seem as if the ear-piercing sibilance of female vocals is about to be reached, with the smoothened highs characteristic of KL-REF, the excessive spikes in the highs will gradually be tamed down. This is what makes the Type S performance so attractive yet memorable without being fatiguing.

Overall
There is no clear winner between the KL-REF and the retuned Type-S variation, similarly to how a parent usually don't have a favourite one out of all the children. While the older sibling takes on a more reference and natural approach in sound presentation, Type S has a more distinct and characteristic sound tuning, with a slight emphasis on the mid-high frequency range. The more aggressive approach of Type S creates a brighter, open, more refined and higher clarity sound signature. Type S is the iem that will create an unforgettable virtual experience, where one can admire and listen to their favourite female vocals as if they were attending the live performance.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #291 of 376
Thank you for the wonderful review! This is the first ever impression I have had on the Ref Type-S. I can say that this is definitely my type of sound signature. I hope I can try these one day.

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #293 of 376
Thank you for the wonderful review! This is the first ever impression I have had on the Ref Type-S. I can say that this is definitely my type of sound signature. I hope I can try these one day.
I see a little screwdriver in the case. Is there a knob on the Ref Type-S as well for the bass?
Saw that you have both the Andromeda and KL-Sirius, if you like that kind of signature, KL-REF Type S should be close to your preference too. (Based on my memory, Andromeda and KL-Sirius are pretty close but I might remember wrongly because I demoed them in different occasions quite far apart)

Yes, similarly to the normal KL-REF, the Type-S has an option for adjustable bass dial as well.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #294 of 376
Hi! I received my TRIOs back from Kumitate lab today. Does anyone have any recommendations on what tips to use with it? Also, I find that the treble is a little too harsh for my taste. I saw that someone installed white Knowles dampers in the nozzles to give the trio the same tuning at the black edition. Has anyone else tried this? Thanks!

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #295 of 376
Hi! I received my TRIOs back from Kumitate lab today. Does anyone have any recommendations on what tips to use with it? Also, I find that the treble is a little too harsh for my taste. I saw that someone installed white Knowles dampers in the nozzles to give the trio the same tuning at the black edition. Has anyone else tried this? Thanks!

If treble is your problem, Comply usually will tame that, but the cost is increased warmth in the bass, and a slight drop in resolution. If this is a trade-off you are willing to do, then that is probably the way to go. Either that or just sell the Trio and get something that isn't harsh to your ear.

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #296 of 376
Saw that you have both the Andromeda and KL-Sirius, if you like that kind of signature, KL-REF Type S should be close to your preference too. (Based on my memory, Andromeda and KL-Sirius are pretty close but I might remember wrongly because I demoed them in different occasions quite far apart)

Yes, similarly to the normal KL-REF, the Type-S has an option for adjustable bass dial as well.
I'm going to do a show listen on the Andromeda in a couple weeks. Just got the KL-Sirius in. I really like it. The stock cable is a bummer though. With what appears to be solid-core silver between the drivers they are really sensitive to cable changes. Threw on Double Helix Cables Symbiote Elite SP v3 (8-braid) and damn if these aren't absolutely fantastic. I intend to take some more pictures. I'll give a share here when I get some with the Double Helix wire. It's a pretty stunning looking combo. These may end up being my cable reviewing reference set.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #297 of 376
Finally we get to have Kumitate LAB CM demo in Hong Kong. I tried KL-Sirius and KL-Meteo myself and I personally found Sirius more impressive. But I guess that's mostly because I already got earphones that have similar approach to Meteo (dorado, and another dual bass/ dual mid-high CM). On the other hand, Sirius sounds more spacious and revealing to me. Unfortunately most other people were busy demoing the Sony Just Ear so they did not get much attention, I hope there will be some more promotion or even discounts in the upcoming AV Show 2018 so more people could try them on.

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #299 of 376
Hi. Just popping in to ask whether KL-Sirius owners find it sibilant at all? I'm considering one based on reviews that it was superb vocal clarity and have a very clean sound overall.

However, I'm concerned that the upper mids focus may lead to a slight bit of sibilance.

I've understood that sometimes sibilance is NOT caused by the IEM but instead caused by the music production itself. Also, the human voice tends to be sibilant in real life at some points anyway, so it's not entirely negative.

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #300 of 376
Hi. Just popping in to ask whether KL-Sirius owners find it sibilant at all? I'm considering one based on reviews that it was superb vocal clarity and have a very clean sound overall.

However, I'm concerned that the upper mids focus may lead to a slight bit of sibilance.

I've understood that sometimes sibilance is NOT caused by the IEM but instead caused by the music production itself. Also, the human voice tends to be sibilant in real life at some points anyway, so it's not entirely negative.

There is an upper mid focus but it's not sibilant, with the custom version being even more smoothed out in the treble. At the very least, I've heard worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back