Kuba Disco semi-review
Dec 1, 2020 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

renanrischiotto

100+ Head-Fier
Ok this is not a review but I managed to get the frequences response graph of the Kuba Disco. So I guess it's something. As an audio noob, I found it very balanced. I guess people where right saying that this headphone is amazing for its price (good as the legendary Sennheiser HD600?). The red line is the level 3 bass (you can adjust the bass level of the headphone through a little lever on the earpads, level 1 to 3).

What you expert guys think? If it is good as I think, I'm buying ASAP.

Kuba Disco is only available here in Brazil. It's a result of a start-up project of a brazilian audiophile, he created a little company and I guess he's having sucess growing it.
https://kuba.audio/disco

Attachments

• Disco+frequência.jpg
    Disco+frequência.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 25
Thank you for posting this, renanrischiotto.

I have no idea whether they would sound or fit good. But they look pretty cool! :) Detachable cables. All replaceable parts down to the smallest screw. Adjustable bass response. Superficially at least, it looks like a pretty nice product for ~$150 US. How does it fit and sound though? That is the real question.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret the graph. Is it diffuse field?

Just based on looking at the images there are two things that might concern me a little in the design. One would be the amount of tension or clamp on the wooden headband. And whether that might start to loosen over time and usage.

I wonder if the detachable cables also lock in place, or whether they are just standard 3.5mm mini-jacks. And also how the extender adjustments work. And whether those might come loose over time. And is the range of adjustment reasonable on the extenders?

I'm sure the guy making these has already thought of all the above though.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 25
Is this an on-ear headphone btw? Because the pads look somewhat small for a full-sized around the ear type of headphone

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 25
Thank you for posting this, renanrischiotto.

I have no idea whether they would sound or fit good. But they look pretty cool! :) Detachable cables. All replaceable parts down to the smallest screw. Adjustable bass response. Superficially at least, it looks like a pretty nice product for ~$150 US. How does it fit and sound though? That is the real question.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret the graph. Is it diffuse field?

Just based on looking at the images there are two things that might concern me a little in the design. One would be the amount of tension or clamp on the wooden headband. And whether that might start to loosen over time and usage.

I wonder if the detachable cables also lock in place, or whether they are just standard 3.5mm mini-jacks. And also how the extender adjustments work. And whether those might come loose over time. And is the range of adjustment reasonable on the extenders?

I'm sure the guy making these has already thought of all the above though.

I have not bought it yet, but very very soon if everything go smooth. Some people says that the headband tension is quite strong, some put the headphone in the box to loose a bit, but every person has the head and ears at different sizes lol. But they are always upgrading the headphone, the headband is in its second version, the cable in its third version, the earpads in its third version (I read yesterday on a video that they stopped the production of this third earpad version to produce another one, the XL e suede, but I need to confirm that). They are always listening to the feedback. I think the cables does not lock in place, its just 3.5mm mini-jacks but I'm sure the guy has already thought of this and also the extender adjustments.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 25
I have no bought it yet, but very very soon if everything go smooth. Some people says that the headband tension is quite strong, some put the headphone in the box to loose a bit, but every person has the head and ears at different sizes lol. But they are always upgrading the headphone, the headband is in its second version, he cable in its third version, the earpads in its third version (I read yesterday on a video that they stopped the production of this third earpad version to produce another one, the XL e suede, but I need to confirm that). They are always listening to the feedback. I think the cables does not lock in place, its just 3.5mm mini-jacks but I'm sure the guy has already thought of this and also the extender adjustments.

Well, I love that the company is open to feedback and making adjustments/upgrades in its designs. And it certainly looks like it has some good potential. And the price also seems quite reasonable for what they're offering. So please keep us posted if you learn any more.

Maybe a couple of the more well-healed audiophile types here will take on bite on this, and give use some more impressions as well.

Since the design is completely modular, and people's heads come in so many different sizes and shapes, maybe they could make a couple different sizes and shapes of headbands, made from some different materials, with more or less tension. Or figure out some type of design that allows the amount tension or clamp to be more user-adjustable.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 25
I don't think there's possible to have the cables with the locking system in both sides of the drivers. If it is, probably he didn't did that to cut costs or to mantain the modularity, as the main focus of this headfone is the sound quality and the modularity (while being confortable of course), so the parts (headbands, the plastic) are not the BEST ones, but I think it's good enough. They say the audio quality is to compete with good headphones while being half the price or even less. The guy that created this headphone said its drivers are the same as the Aedle VK-1, a 300 euros headphone. The support said to me that this headphone is to compete with the ATH M50X, Sennheiser Momentum and the Beoplay H6.

300 euros here in Brazil is around R$1800,00 (unbelievable expensive here), and this headphone is R$750 (still expensive but if the quality is awesome can worth it) so...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 25
I like that he has cables going into both cups as well. I've never liked the one-sided cable designs (which is what I have on both of my current headphones, the M50x and Beyer DT-770), because they always sound slightly off balance. And have more weight and pull on one side.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 25
If the headphone can easily be taken apart and put back together by the user, that would also be a plus for folks who like to do their own modifications and tweaks.

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 25
Leonardo (the guy that created this HF), said that the sound signature of this HF is "alive" and "fun". So I guess the sound is high quality, very balanced (but not boring), clean and with the adjustable bass.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 25
I'm gonna tell ya, I'm pretty hyped for this HF, I hope it not disappoint me but instead makes me impressed and beyond my expectations. Let see.

Hope you like it, dude. Sincerely. It's a hit or miss, no midterm.

I bought one in April, only got it in my hands by September. Really loved the sound and the bass adjustment, but I returned after 5 days due to excessive discomfort on my ears and in my head. Feels like it's trying to shrunk your head and ears. The 3rd generation earpads felt like stones, and the headband gives an full force hug on your head, making the touch point on the top of the head feels hurt in a matter of few minutes. I could not wear the headphone for more than 5 minutes without trying to adjust something on it. It's by far the most uncomfortable phone I ever tried.

To get the things worse, on the fourth day using the phone, disappointed as hell, I read on Facebook a post where someone is showing a fourth generation prototype. Just four days after I get my phone. I returned the phone the next day.

I feel that too many generations of headband and earpads indicates two things: they really try and listen to costumer's feedback, and that's really positive, but in the other side, it also indicates that after 3 or 4 years of this product being sold, they still didn't found a way to give the headphone a full comfort feedback from clients. It's fairly common to read or watch Youtube videos expressing concerns about it. I think the original project was for a on-ear phone, due to earcup super small size, then they decided to change, and they're still trying until now... This headphone has an excellent idea, great sound, but fails to deliver a great hearing experience due to excessive discomfort. Maybe getting a 1 or 2 cm bigger earcup

I didn't had any trouble to return it to manufacturer and received by money back after a few days.
Ended up buying for the same price an AKG K361, with much better comfort, finishing and manufacturing.

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #14 of 25
They made new earpads (XL and suede), check the website, I already bought the headphone, I'm just waiting now, it will come with the new earpads (XL). I think the disconfort can be solved with bigger and deep earpads. Have you tried the recommendations to solve this problem? Like put the headphone in a pillow or on the box for a day or so to loose a bit?

Since the headphone is modular, I believe we can change the earpads with aftermarket ones, if these new ones are bad. Like the ATH M40X, some people say that this headphone earpads are terrible so they mod it, putting earpads like the Brainwavz Hm5.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 25
They made new earpads (XL and suede), check the website, I already bought the headphone, I'm just waiting now, it will come with the new earpads (XL). I think the disconfort can be solved with bigger and deep earpads. Have you tried the recommendations to solve this problem? Like put the headphone in a pillow or on the box for a day or so to loose a bit?

Since the headphone is modular, I believe we can change the earpads with aftermarket ones, if these new ones are bad. Like the ATH M40X, some people say that this headphone earpads are terrible so they mod it, putting earpads like the Brainwavz Hm5.

I really liked the modular idea. That's wjat me got into this headphone, but didnvt worked for me, definitely.

I tried to stretch the headband, but nothing worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back