KSC75 modded
Nov 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

idvsego

100+ Head-Fier
I have had an issue with the ksc75 getting proper fit to give me the sound I like.  If I press them against my head I like...if I let them hang naturally, I dont.  So I decided to try a headband mod.  the PE mod doesnt provide enough clamping.  The sennheiser px100 mod was my first choice, but am still sourcing a donor pair for the headband.  In the meantime I decided to strip a cheap pair of coby behind-the-head phones from a portable DVD player for the band. 

First I popped off the drivers. that was easy. just pull. Finding out how to remove the plastic backing was tougher.

SNC00048.jpg

After poking around it for a little bit the silver logo piece went flying and exposed a screw.

SNC00050.jpg

took out the screws and pulled the wire out of the band. and ended up with this...

SNC00051.jpg

I used a nail file to grind down the little nipple on the ksc75 to get a flat surface. Here is where I did something dumb. I was doing all of this at work and didn't have my small drill bits. So I thought I could just use the screw to thread the whole. Of course this ended up being crooked and jacking up the montuing surface.
mad.gif
I hate being impatient sometimes. It causes problems. So after I messed up one of them I decided to wait. After I had the drill I made the pilot hole and mounted the driver tot he band.

To repair the other driver that I goofed on I had to use epoxy to rebuild the palstic piece and then reinforce the screw with super glue.  Unfortunately this became a permanent mod instead of the reversible mod I originally intended.  behind the head experts may notice that the drivers are a bit forward on the arms. no choice because the mount point on the Koss were mid driver instead of on the edge like the original drivers. its ok, it still fits on my head and feels like it clamps ok.

SNC00059.jpg

SNC00060.jpg

SNC00061.jpg

They clamp better and have much improved bass response for me.  I only listened tot hem for a second because I need to let the glue fully cure before stressing it much.  Will give an extended listen tomorrow at lunch.  Next mod will be to recable for single side entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back