KSC 75's to MS-1? SR-80?
Oct 19, 2008 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

ExtendeD

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I purchased the ksc 75's a while back and really loved the sound. I already bought the JVC Harx 700 for long and gaming sessions, but am looking for a nice, smaller pair of headphones for short listening sessions. I've read so many good things about the SR-60's.

Please excuse my noobishness, but what makes Grados special? I haven't been here too long, but I see cans like the AKG K81's mentioned more in recommendation threads. I plan on listening to a lot of rock but there will be some hip-hop and electronic. Are Grados right for me? If possible, please don't tell me to go for something higher end. I've spent too much already.

Thanks.

Edit- Poll added, please vote.
Edit2- Title changed because I'm willing to spend $30 more for higher quality phones. Thanks again to everyone who has helped along the way.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 64
Compared to the KSC 75's, the Grado's have more "presence" and deeper, more coherent bass. They have great mid-range "warmth". You'll hear greater detail out of the recording than with the Koss. Yes, there are better cans, but not for the money, IMO. Be careful, though, exposure to Grado SR-60s is dangerous to your wallet - they open the curtain to the possibilities of high quality sound and may infect you with the dreaded "upgraditis".

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 64
I honestly refer the KSC75 to the SR60 and on par with the SR80. The KSC75 is more balanced and has a fullness to them that makes the SR60 and parts of the SR80 sound like tin cans, or at least a radio.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 64
I think everyone should have a pair of SR60's just so they can experience that Grado sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 64
I agree with BluesDaddy, it is dangerous to your wallet. I wanted a better sounding headphone and two years later... I have a pair of SR325i's, Creek OBH11, Fubar 2 dac, K701's, and HD650's. Great sound is definitely addicting.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly refer the KSC75 to the SR60 and on par with the SR80. The KSC75 is more balanced and has a fullness to them that makes the SR60 and parts of the SR80 sound like tin cans, or at least a radio.

This makes me wonder if we have actually heard the same cans. My impressions are exactly the opposite, with the KSC75s being on the tinny side unless you substantially mod them to get a better seal to the ear. As far as bass and midrange, there is simply no contest - the SR-60s are in a whole higher league.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 64
headphones are confusing
smily_headphones1.gif
with all these different opinions and all.
best way still is to listen to some at a store nearby, but the sr-60 are certainly nice, so if not necessary better, they are certainly different and give a good look into the grado sound (rock heaven for many > detailed/fast/direct)
and if you later get some HD555 or something you've got the whole spectrum somewhat covered
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 64
Haha, yeah. Thanks for the advice, I'd love to go to a local shop sometime and take a listen to all these wonderful headphones but there are mostly chain stores where I live. They usually carry brands like Bose or Logitech though :/

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes me wonder if we have actually heard the same cans. My impressions are exactly the opposite, with the KSC75s being on the tinny side unless you substantially mod them to get a better seal to the ear. As far as bass and midrange, there is simply no contest - the SR-60s are in a whole higher league.

Agreed here. The KSC-75 are the first phones I've worn that chirp and rattle under heavy bass, a problem that the Grados certainly do not have.

Though the Grados aren't leaps and bounds better, they are incrementally better. If you like the Koss, I'd be more inclined to tell you to upgrade to PortaPros, which fix the bass rattle while retaining a pretty similar sound the the KSC-75 that you already enjoy.

(And the real me tells you to suck it up, save the extra coin and jump the next level to the DT770s... though that's more than what you're asking for at the moment.
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 64
Yeah, I looked at the Grados because they were a decent price and I've been hearing about this Grado sound. I was so close to buying the DT770's with the sale currently going on, but contained myself. Will the 770's blow me away? They look a little big too. I forgot to mention that I'll be using this unamped most of the time.

Thanks.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 64
I don't know what the '05 DT770 sounds like (I have one coming on Tuesday thanks to the sale). I have a Blu-tak modded DT770 Pro with a PIMETA I built for myself at work, and they absolutely blow me away.

I don't think you'll see as big a jump from the Koss to the low-end Grado as you would jumping up to a DT770, but they don't fit what you're looking for. You wanted something cheap, small, and works well unamped, and I'd recommend the PortaPro for that.

Baby steps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 64
Grado's ROCK! Anything else KSC-75's are fine. Put on some AC/DC or Stones you will see the light.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtendeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I looked at the Grados because they were a decent price and I've been hearing about this Grado sound. I was so close to buying the DT770's with the sale currently going on, but contained myself. Will the 770's blow me away? They look a little big too. I forgot to mention that I'll be using this unamped most of the time.

Thanks.

The DT770 and SR60 is totally different in sound signature IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back