KSC 75's to MS-1? SR-80?
Oct 25, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, being a Saturday morning with a little free time and awaiting delivery of my DT770s from Amazon, I decided to go ahead and do the Kramer mod on my KSC75s. I only have the stock pads and didn't want to nickel or quarter mod them yet as I thought the Koss already a bit bright for my tastes. I must confess that with the holes drilled in the grill cover, this really is a whole different animal. Far more bass extension (though a tad "sloppy" in the bass, like the difference between a vented and closed speaker), much closer in quality to the Grado's. As I'm listening, I may need to do the quarter mod to balance the sound a bit more unless I can find a pair of the planatonics pads locally (can't see paying $10 or more shipping on $5 item). With a better seal at the ear (such as the pleather plantonics may give) I can see why people compare this so favorably to the SR60s. I may still prefer the Grado, but I'll have to give these more of a listen. Hard to imagine getting this good sound from a $15 set of cans.

Ah, thanks for the update. Congrats on having the mod turn out so well and congrats on ordering the 770's. I was about to order my SR-60's this morning, but stuck around to make sure there weren't any better options. I'd really appreciate it if you could get some more impressions up some time today, but it's no hurry. I saw in your sig you did the headband mod, did you just use the one from partsexpress? How's that going? Also, was the mod that easy? I don't even think I have a drill around...

Anyway, thanks again. Have a great morning, and I hopefully your 770's will come today.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtendeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, thanks for the update. Congrats on having the mod turn out so well and congrats on ordering the 770's. I was about to order my SR-60's this morning, but stuck around to make sure there weren't any better options. I'd really appreciate it if you could get some more impressions up some time today, but it's no hurry. I saw in your sig you did the headband mod, did you just use the one from partsexpress? How's that going? Also, was the mod that easy? I don't even think I have a drill around...

Anyway, thanks again. Have a great morning, and I hopefully your 770's will come today.

Been listening to some of the Dead's studio recordings since I posted with the KSC75s. I'm still quite impressed with the sound. Much more "Grado like" then before. I'm still not ready to mod the cushions, though I have another pair I could use if I didn't like it. The headband I use is one off a cheap portable radio you can get at Walmart - Colby I think is the brand name. I believe it was the original mention for a headband mod for these. I couldn't stand the earclips, the drove me crazy and I almost never used the KOSS prior to that. I actually originally bought them for my daughter to use with her Ipod. She liked the sound quality compared to her Ibuds, but didn't like the clips either (or the headband - girls!). Once I got the headband I started using them for listening with my Zune walking to and from my office to where I park (take an Xpress bus now thanks to when gas prices hit $4 per gallon). Long story shorter, I like the headband far better than the clips, though it is a pretty flimsy band. I have another set of the Koss and I may experiment with smaller holes in the grill to get a bit tighter bass - it's still feeling a bit "sloppy" to me.

If you think you're gonna want to "taste" the Grado sound, the SR60 is a great place to start. I actually bought mine from another Head-fier a few years back to use as work phones. Some places sell them marginally cheaper than the $69 list, but can't advertise it due to their agreement with Grado. But I think they're well worth it. The KSCs don't come close without the mod, IMO.

The mod is pretty simple, search "kramer mod" here and follow the directions. You do have to have a dremmel or high speed drill. I used a full sized cordless, drilled pilot holes first and then enlarged them. A little tricky, but not bad. Took probably 15 to 20 minutes overall.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #48 of 64
I would buy the KSC75's and send them over to APureSound and recable them with 75ohm added.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would buy the KSC75's and send them over to APureSound and recable them with 75ohm added.

Yeah, I already have the 75's, but how much does recabling improve the sound? So much so it's better than the Grado? I noticed the price for the shortest cable is $50. For a little more, I could pick up the SR-60.

Thanks for your help.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Not being much of a believer in properly constructed cables sounding different (please, no arguments or personal annecdotes), I wouldn't spend $50 to $100 to modify a $15 set of headphones. Better to just invest in better cans to begin with.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

DT770s did, in fact, arrive in today's mail. First impressions: beautiful cans, very sturdy, extremely comfortable, nice "round" sound, IOW no readily apparent holes or deficiencies. At first I thought the bass was a bit boom, but then realized I had the "loudness" on on the old receiver I have connected to my PC. Now, just a nice balanced sound on what I've listened so far (not much). I'm suitably impressed, especially for the money.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

DT770s did, in fact, arrive in today's mail. First impressions: beautiful cans, very sturdy, extremely comfortable, nice "round" sound, IOW no readily apparent holes or deficiencies. At first I thought the bass was a bit boom, but then realized I had the "loudness" on on the old receiver I have connected to my PC. Now, just a nice balanced sound on what I've listened so far (not much). I'm suitably impressed, especially for the money.

Cool, glad everything worked out well for you. I was thinking about getting the 770's, but I'm probably better off getting a pair of Grado's if I want that bright, agressive sound for rock right? Oh, and the 770's don't do too well without an amp, right?

Congratulations, and thanks for your help thus far. Enjoy your headphones!

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Cool, glad everything worked out well for you. I was thinking about getting the 770's, but I'm probably better off getting a pair of Grado's if I want that bright, agressive sound for rock right? Oh, and the 770's don't do too well without an amp, right?

Well, I like the Grado sound and think you probably will as well. The DT770s are much more balanced, which I prefer. I was sitting here listening thinking these are the first headphones that sound like my speakers to me - they have an amazing (to me) soundstage for closed phones and are, well, punchy - maybe what some folks call "fast" bass. Not sloppy at all like the modded KSC75s.

And after your question I hooked them straight into my Zune. At less than full volume, not so great - a little thin sounding, that punch is definitely lacking. But at full volume on the Zune not too bad, definitely listenable and very hefty - I am surprised. However, these things are way too big for me to ever consider using them portable. They are definitely stay at home cans. For portable, I've got my Senns and my not so new but improved KSC75s.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I already have the 75's, but how much does recabling improve the sound? So much so it's better than the Grado? I noticed the price for the shortest cable is $50. For a little more, I could pick up the SR-60.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:

Not being much of a believer in properly constructed cables sounding different (please, no arguments or personal annecdotes), I wouldn't spend $50 to $100 to modify a $15 set of headphones. Better to just invest in better cans to begin with.

Did you not see the 75ohm added, along with the recable suggestion? Or you can just get an ER4 P-S adapter too.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #56 of 64
I have the APS modded KSC-75's with the 75 Ohm resistor. The recable is more than worth it. Very nice sounding portable headphones. I have a Red Tomahawk and a Portaphile to amp it. I can't say a bad thing about them.

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by eecummings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pppPROf---fan
-it
y

is(what)vo-neGUt is
enGAGEDIN

say what??

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
images

Anus.

X2.

I voted for save up for higher end Grados. But oh, do mod your Koss as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #59 of 64
and buy the sr-60
smily_headphones1.gif
why choose when you can do it all?
modding is cheap, sr-60 is cheap and saving money for higher-end is also cheap, until you spend it...

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
--Said the Calypso singer in the book of Bokononism.

Easy there, you are sounding troll like. I have the KSC's in question. I gave my 2 cents. WHAT IS YOU POINT??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back