KSC-35 vs. Sporta-Pro?
Jul 23, 2003 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ismschism

New Head-Fier
I'm starting to wonder if I can improve the sound of my headphones, the Koss Sporta-Pro's, with another model in the same price range. The KSC-35's seem to be all but worshipped around here, so naturally, I thought they might be better, and worth a shot. But then I read they have the same driver as the Sporta's?? I can't hear them in the stores here, I'd have to get them online. So can someone who's listened to both tell me how the sound quality compares between the two (in terms of detail, resolution, musicality, etc.).? And what about the Sennheiser PX100? I hear good things about that model, how does that fit in compared to these other two?

Jul 23, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 23
please search around the board...this question had been answer many times...

anyway..to my ears...35s sounds more nautal, protapros has louder and boomier bass. (loud and boomy, but nowhere near deep). if they do use the same drivers, i would guess the reason for boomier bass on the protapros is caused by the drivers pressed onto your ears by the headbands..

IMO....the 35s sound more musical then the protapros

Jul 24, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
please search around the board...this question had been answer many times...

anyway..to my ears...35s sounds more nautal, protapros has louder and boomier bass.

This is probably pretty snotty (especially coming from a newbie like me), but what do nautal headphones sound like?
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 23
ism-
I have been trying for a long time to find cans that I enjoy as much as my Sportapros. I have been through the following:

Koss KSC-50's
Koss Portapros
Shure E1
Shure E2c
Senn MX300
Senn MX400
Grado SR60
Sony MDR-EX70
Sony MDR-EX51
Sony MDR-E888LP gold
Sony 7506
Sony V700

and a few others I can't quite remember right now. The only ones that I enjoy almost as much as the Sportas are the Senn MX400's. I know the Sportas aren't accurate, but they are fun, non-fatiguing phones that help me to ENJOY the music I'm listening to more than any of the other phones I've tried (save for the MX400's, which are right up there with the Sportas).

It's also nice that these two sets of cans are relatively inexpensive and easy to find-- much easier to deal with if they get lost, or a cord gets mangled, etc...

just my .02

appar111

Jul 25, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 23
appar11: You seem to have tried everything -but- the KSC-35's. Those are the ones that seem to be considered better than the Sportapro's. Also, I thought the Sportapro's were budget version of the Portapro's and were supposed to be better? I was even thinking of upgrading to Portapro's, but didn't realize some would consider the Sporta's better.

For what its worth, when I was buying my Sportapro's and checking out competition, I also bought a pair of Jensen behind-the-neck "street style" headphones (they have a model no. like JSM15 or something). Even after extensive comparisons, I couldn't decide which I preferred, as each brought something good to the party, so I bought both. The "something good" that the Jensen's had, was musicality. An expressive midrange, plenty of bass, non-fatiguing sound and phsyical comfort (both 'cans' can be worn for extended periods). What the Sportapro's had was tighter and deeper bass, and some more refinement in detail and accuracy. But their mids were reticent next to the sweet sound of the Jensen's, and there were other differences, such as the Jensen's providing more body and richness. After a couple of years I finally recently decided the Jensen's win, and the Sportapro's got relegated to "second favorite" status among the portable headphones I own. Because of the improved musicality, music is just more "fun" to listen to on the Jensen's. I even prefer to use them in listening tests over my AKG K-200's. Even though the Jensen's were ridiculously cheap ($20 CAD, probably sell for $12-$15 US), I'm starting to think they'd be hard to beat on all counts, particularly musicality, even with a lot more money involved.

Quote:

Originally posted by appar111
ism-
I have been trying for a long time to find cans that I enjoy as much as my Sportapros. I have been through the following:

Koss KSC-50's
Koss Portapros
Shure E1
Shure E2c
Senn MX300
Senn MX400
Grado SR60
Sony MDR-EX70
Sony MDR-EX51
Sony MDR-E888LP gold
Sony 7506
Sony V700

and a few others I can't quite remember right now. The only ones that I enjoy almost as much as the Sportas are the Senn MX400's. I know the Sportas aren't accurate, but they are fun, non-fatiguing phones that help me to ENJOY the music I'm listening to more than any of the other phones I've tried (save for the MX400's, which are right up there with the Sportas).

It's also nice that these two sets of cans are relatively inexpensive and easy to find-- much easier to deal with if they get lost, or a cord gets mangled, etc...

just my .02

appar111

Jul 26, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 23
i have both the sportas and ksc-35's. they both use the same driver (you can even swap them around) and so the only possible difference in sound is that the sportas are tight on the ears, whereas the ksc-35's just rest on the ears with no actual pressure on the ears, which can effect sound slightly.

i didnt do extensive testing between the two but from the brief A-B'ing i did i couldnt really notice a difference sonically (and if there was a differnece it was a far smaller difference than say, removing the pads on the ksc-35), but then with your current sportas just experiment with the pressure on the ears and you can see for yourself. i did find the ksc-35's far more comfortable though.

if you have the sportas i wouldnt both with any others in that koss range unless you find the sportas uncomfortable like i did.

Jul 26, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 23
Interesting response. I just kind of assumed the KSC-35's must have something good the other good Koss portable phones don't have. Simply because people are elevating them to legendary status, and the bidding is super-high on eBay for this model (they always seem to go for over $30, whereas you could get the model that replaced them, the KSC-50, for $5!). The prices the KSC-35's are going for seems to be about what you might pay for a new pair of Sportapro's or perhaps even Portapro's. So I still don't understand why everyone's is going ga-ga over this model , more so than the Sporta's or Porta's, when the other two are not discontinued and as you say, have the same drivers and there's not much difference between them. I don't find my Sporta's uncomfortable at all, so I guess there's no valid reason for me to get the KSC-35's. It sounds to me like they'd just have less bass and maybe a bit more open soundstage - the difference of modifying the headband on the Sporta's to relieve some pressure on the ears, as you suggest.

Quote:

Originally posted by MegaMeee
i have both the sportas and ksc-35's. they both use the same driver (you can even swap them around) and so the only possible difference in sound is that the sportas are tight on the ears, whereas the ksc-35's just rest on the ears with no actual pressure on the ears, which can effect sound slightly.

i didnt do extensive testing between the two but from the brief A-B'ing i did i couldnt really notice a difference sonically (and if there was a difference it was a far smaller difference than say, removing the pads on the ksc-35), but then with your current sportas just experiment with the pressure on the ears and you can see for yourself. i did find the ksc-35's far more comfortable though.

if you have the sportas i wouldnt both with any others in that koss range unless you find the sportas uncomfortable like i did.

Aug 16, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 23
Maybe it's just me because I never see a complaint here but I found the KSC-35's very UNCOMFORTABLE! Those things hanging on my ears were just too much to take and they took a couple of minutes for me just to get on correctly! I traded them off for a pair of Sportapro's which are much better in comfort to me and I can just put them on instantly. As far as sound quality, they both sound identical to me. The only complaint I have with the Sportapros is when I wear them behind the neck, they will pull off slightly if I look up or down.

Aug 16, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 23
No Gene, its not just you
wink.gif

I have a major issue with the top of my right ear, when removing the 35s, something pinches up top, and it really hurts to take them off
eek.gif

Aug 17, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 23
Glad to hear it Duncan! I really did think I was the ONLY one on the forums that had an issue with comfort on the the KSC-35's! I just couldn't believe how uncomfortable they were for me not to mention how long it took getting them on where they weren't UNBEARABLE! They sound great but to me, not any better than the Sportapros. I also think the Sportapro's better, (or worse to some), bass can be attributed to them being held firmer on the ears. The KSC-35's, (again to me), let out too much sound because of them resting so lightly on the ears.

Aug 17, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by MegaMeee

That does affect sound, but don't forget the clips/headband -- it's possible that resonances and how "tightly" each holds the driver unit also affects sound slightly.

Aug 17, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by ismschism
I still don't understand why everyone's is going ga-ga over this model , more so than the Sporta's or Porta's, when the other two are not discontinued and as you say, have the same drivers and there's not much difference between them.

That's the problem -- there ARE major differences between them. The KSC-35 sound significantly better due to their fit, and the KSC-35 are significantly more comfortable. (Plus, for my usage, they're also more convenient because they're much smaller.) They're all-around better headphone, IMO.

Aug 18, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 23
I own the porta-pros, KSC35, KSC50, The Plug and a radio-shack version of the Koss Pro35 (which I got for $20 on sale locally).

The Porta/sporta (same diff) are boomier and louder than the 35's because they are tighter against the head. The 35's have a cleaner sound, but weaker bass, so I drive them with a little EQ on the bass side.

The ksc50's, which fit on the ear like the ksc35, are looser and have even less bass and almost a tinny sound.

The RS Pro-35, which are traditional open / over the head band phones, have the best sound of them all for me. I think the ksc35, portas, and RS pro-35 all have the same speaker/driver, but the fit makes for different sounds. Though, the RS pro35 list that they have a Titanium driver (not sure if the KOSS phones have Ti drivers). The fit makes a diff and thus, the RS pro 35 have the best fit--not too tight, not too loose.

One mod I performed on my portas that seemed to help the boomy-muddiness, was to cut out a small dime-sized hole in the center of the pad, revealing the center of the speaker. I haven't performed this mod on the pro-35 or ksc35, since they sound good as is.

The latest version of the radio shack pro-35 phones (item 33-1222) can be found:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=33%2D1222

PS. The diff between the portas/RS-35/KSC35 is not that huge. they're all very similar sounding, and no matter which you get, you'll be glad you did. Go for the fit you want most.

Aug 18, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 23
I also read in another thread on a very similar subject that the Sporta/Porta Pros may have different wiring than the KSC-35s. That may also make a difference in sound. Search around and you'll find the thread. It was fairly recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back