Krell KSA 5 Clone (China)
Oct 30, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #61 of 85
It is here! Here is a little teaser. Looks like I got version 3.0

What came before it in my system? A Pass 1.7 clone.

Beautiful but it will not drive headphones :frowning2:

I used this for headphones, HA5000 clone!

The mighty "Krell" is settling into my system. I am enjoying the sound, both as a headphone amplifier and preamp. I only got it yesterday and it feels like the sound has been changing. I suppose burn in is real with this. My first impressions are of a somewhat old school sound, not the last word in detail and 3 dimensionality but pleasant to listen to with a good bass. I will report back once impressions are clearer.

It is very well put together but the control knobs feel a bit flimsy/plastic. The volume control feels a but rough over part of it's travel. I am not sure why that would be. The unit is dead silent. Not a whisper of static, even at full volume.

host pictures online

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #62 of 85
I had a KSA-50 and KSA-100 for a few years, so when I spied the knock-offs I was interested, but the components and board looked cheap. If someone was going to come up with one of those or a Pass X-150 with legit parts they could sell a pile of them to audiophiles.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #63 of 85
It is here! Here is a little teaser. Looks like I got version 3.0

What came before it in my system? A Pass 1.7 clone.

Beautiful but it will not drive headphones :frowning2:

I used this for headphones, HA5000 clone!

The mighty "Krell" is settling into my system. I am enjoying the sound, both as a headphone amplifier and preamp. I only got it yesterday and it feels like the sound has been changing. I suppose burn in is real with this. My first impressions are of a somewhat old school sound, not the last word in detail and 3 dimensionality but pleasant to listen to with a good bass. I will report back once impressions are clearer.

It is very well put together but the control knobs feel a bit flimsy/plastic. The volume control feels a but rough over part of it's travel. I am not sure why that would be. The unit is dead silent. Not a whisper of static, even at full volume.

host pictures online

I hope that you are working on that review for us.
I am still using mines every day as a speaker amp and I still think it's a great sounding amp.

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #64 of 85
Hooster check the actual volume dial and make sure it was not put in too close to the faceplate that might be why it feels rough in spots ( if it is slightly uneven and too close ).
Usually a small set screw on the side to hold them in place.
If no recessed set screw it is likely just a press on.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #65 of 85
Hooster check the actual volume dial and make sure it was not put in too close to the faceplate that might be why it feels rough in spots ( if it is slightly uneven and too close ).
Usually a small set screw on the side to hold them in place.
If no recessed set screw it is likely just a press on.

Thanks, will do!

Mar 21, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #68 of 85
I still use it everyday as a speaker amp in my bedroom.
That's great to hear Bear , i got mine a few months ago from a local seller , back then i did not think anyone would make a thread about this amp so i totally missed some of the banters here . It's a bit odd though that my unit has more RCA ports (4 instead of 2) but everything else looks identical .

I've read your initial post and now i feel tempted to modify it just like you did! Would you mind if i have to ask you a few questions if i decide to mod it? I've never done any soldering or DIY at all haha ....

Mar 21, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #71 of 85
I suggest you get one of these stereo headphone sockets. Connect it to the speaker outputs of the amplifier with a length of wire and see if you like the sound.

NEUNYS2202P.jpg
39609.jpg

Attachments

• NEUNYS2202P.jpg
    NEUNYS2202P.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #72 of 85
Hi to all.

This is my first post and to share something ”special (for me) since I been thinking this synergy of my latest set-up , a Krell KRC-3 preamplifier as my headphone amp, Audeze LCD-X and PonoPlayer as my source ( presently, single-ended connection) and waiting from delayed delivery of specially-configured for PonoPlayer balanced interconnect and headphone cable for LCD-X.

Yes, it works!

Of course, I did my diligence first in checking those input and output impedances of the equipments used, beautifully it matched even the output voltage from KRC-3 to drive the sensitive LCD-X effortlessly.

The sound? From my current cabling, it gives me goosebumps and teary-eyed sometimes. Drama it may read here, but you know what a good music is....it relaxed ME. Technically audiophile -jargon explanation, it so easy to follow each and everyone members playing the music. Airiness , reverberate sounds and reflection is there. Bass is something Krell is famous and it’s presentation is solid and reached the depth of the recording if it’s there. Mid is sweet, that includes also the High. No irritating class AB sound.

Perfect? Nope.

Happy? Very happy indeed, sound wise (to my ears).

I’ll can share image of my Krell-inspired setup if requested.

Best regards to all and STAY SAFE!

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #73 of 85
I suggest you get one of these stereo headphone sockets. Connect it to the speaker outputs of the amplifier with a length of wire and see if you like the sound.

NEUNYS2202P.jpg39609.jpg

On second thoughts , i think i should check if it's safe to do this or not , it sounds a bit risky and my headphones are nowhere near he-6 level of toughness .
Have you ever tried plugging your headphones to the speaker ports?

Hi to all.

This is my first post and to share something ”special (for me) since I been thinking this synergy of my latest set-up , a Krell KRC-3 preamplifier as my headphone amp, Audeze LCD-X and PonoPlayer as my source ( presently, single-ended connection) and waiting from delayed delivery of specially-configured for PonoPlayer balanced interconnect and headphone cable for LCD-X.

Yes, it works!

Of course, I did my diligence first in checking those input and output impedances of the equipments used, beautifully it matched even the output voltage from KRC-3 to drive the sensitive LCD-X effortlessly.

The sound? From my current cabling, it gives me goosebumps and teary-eyed sometimes. Drama it may read here, but you know what a good music is....it relaxed ME. Technically audiophile -jargon explanation, it so easy to follow each and everyone members playing the music. Airiness , reverberate sounds and reflection is there. Bass is something Krell is famous and it’s presentation is solid and reached the depth of the recording if it’s there. Mid is sweet, that includes also the High. No irritating class AB sound.

Perfect? Nope.

Happy? Very happy indeed, sound wise (to my ears).

I’ll can share image of my Krell-inspired setup if requested.

Best regards to all and STAY SAFE!
Hi Direk , welcome to the thread i hope we'll bring this thread back to being alive a bit so maybe more people may join us!

Let's share some pictures of your setup , too bad my KSA5 is just a chinese clone , although i think it's doing quite nice for a knock-off .

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #75 of 85
BAC08B5B-AE6D-429D-B1AE-4B5413A99B11.jpeg

Attachments

• 4B1894F4-1B71-405B-BF69-2184DC0434DD.jpeg
    4B1894F4-1B71-405B-BF69-2184DC0434DD.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5EB28E85-9583-47AC-8F63-A7C3E585827F.jpeg
    5EB28E85-9583-47AC-8F63-A7C3E585827F.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DFA359E2-27BB-4A2D-8794-355E9CFD547B.jpeg
    DFA359E2-27BB-4A2D-8794-355E9CFD547B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0