Kramer-mod... KSC75...
Mar 18, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #346 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried doing the mod and when I had to cut a circle in the KSC75 pad, I cut it too much. So I thought of buying new cushions from the KOSS website (5$). If I'm already buying new pads, I thought why not just buy new KSC12 cushions. Unfortunately, I'm not able to find KSC12 pads in the KOSS website and not even on eBay.
Please help me!

Somebody a couple pages back mentioned the plantronics pads fit the ksc75, and I found a website selling them for $1.63 US with FS. Can somebody confirm if these will work?

PLANTRONICS 40709-02 Ear cushion black foam pack 2 AUDIO VIDEO ACCESSORIES ACCESSORIES

update: Actually it was "boogernights" in post #291 who said they should work...it's chump change anyways.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #347 of 542
I wholeheartly recommend getting the px200 pads for a couple of bucks more. The resault is pretty damn unexpected.

Perfect fit, too. Looks something like this
imageupload7770291.jpg

I'm gonna order the white (grey) version when the reapear on ebay.
Should look even better. There's some guy selling them there but he ran out so I asked him to order some more. Should be there in a week or two I hope. I'll try to ask him to make a little discount for head-fiers. He used to work for Koss back in Sweden. He should understand
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #349 of 542
Finally... after having done a non-stop listening of the last album (lossless) of Morrissey with my recabled KSC-75 during the last week on my sansa clip, I decided to make a comparaison with an original pair of KSC-75.

I finally admit that recabling really worth it. The spc did improved the sound. With much innocence I would say that the sound has improved of something like 20%.

I especially like how bass sounds along a sharp sound: snare stroke + tom rebound, bass guitar and ride cymbal, etc...

Just my opinion...

Sorry I can't really tell more with restricted english
redface.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #350 of 542
I found a pair of KSC75 at RadioShack yesterday for $5.47. I laughed, and I immediately snagged them from the hook. I don't think they knew what they had!

I have to admit, I was awful impressed. This is the best $5.47 I've ever spent on audio equipment! I have to do this mod to them someday...I can't wait to hear how they sound!

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #351 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a pair of KSC75 at RadioShack yesterday for $5.47. I laughed, and I immediately snagged them from the hook. I don't think they knew what they had!

I have to admit, I was awful impressed. This is the best $5.47 I've ever spent on audio equipment! I have to do this mod to them someday...I can't wait to hear how they sound!

Very nice. Are you sure you didn't switch the price tags?
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #352 of 542
I found some metal mesh and just pried out the grill and put the mesh on.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #353 of 542
Hey guys if you aren't some kind of treble freaks, don't drill to many holes in the grill, especially not in the very middle.
They're bright as they are. I think I got a little over excited and transformed them from a bright candle to a ******** 100watt light tube!

Sounds good but fatiguing.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #354 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice. Are you sure you didn't switch the price tags?
tongue.gif

Maaaaaaybe...
rolleyes.gif

I did not, but I suppose I can't rule out the possibility that somebody else might have. Besides, he had to scan it with the laser scanner, which most likely would have rung up the correct price.

Either way, it was bargain central!
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #355 of 542
I just got mine and they sound fantastic. Next step is the kramer mod (when my drill gets done recharging
biggrin.gif
).

One question: Is there a headband known to fit these driver modules, preferably from a cheap headphone?

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #358 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by SolariS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody a couple pages back mentioned the plantronics pads fit the ksc75, and I found a website selling them for $1.63 US with FS. Can somebody confirm if these will work?

PLANTRONICS 40709-02 Ear cushion black foam pack 2 AUDIO VIDEO ACCESSORIES ACCESSORIES

update: Actually it was "boogernights" in post #291 who said they should work...it's chump change anyways.

i bought these earpads awhile back and yes they do fit perfectly on the KSC75

May 6, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #359 of 542
Well I finally picked up a pair of KSC75s. I really wanted some Allessandros but I couldn't afford them. After selling my lousy bluetooth headphones I pooled enough cash for a pair. After owning them for a good four hours, I finally gave in to temptation and modded em up. A couple of notes:

Has anyone noticed that the plastic grill (which protects the driver, the one you drill holes in) was glued to the unit? Because mine was. Luckily it was poorly glued (one driver more than the other) - I wonder if Koss are iGrado-ing us?

Also I only put in four extra holes. Seemed like enough.

Overall, when I initially pulled them out of the box and cranked em up, my reaction was 'hey, these ain't bad!' - since mod and 6 hours or so burn in, thats changed to 'hey, these a pretty freqin good!' They love my Fiio too, no hiss, nice warmth and a little bass kick. Wish I had a better amp (see first paragraph)

The only thing I don't love are vocals - they aren't bad, there just so... kind of, there. Mind you I think my Phonaks have spoilt me, and they did cost like 8x as much.

Also my right driver rattled after the mod. I pulled off the grill (a lot easier the 2nd time) and sort of push it outwards a bit, popped it back in and hey! all good!

May 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #360 of 542
Well, I've been modding away at my KSC75s - I did the ol 'put them in some ear defenders' tricks, like this mod: Lifehacker - Make Noise Reduction Headphones for $20 - Headphones

after quarter mod / kramer mod and 20 hrs burn in, they were starting to sound nice. Then I put the drivers into the ear defenders...

Basically the ear defenders came to two lumps of foam in each earpiece. I experimented a lot with the position of the drivers and bits of foam. I expected the bass to become very boomy and the sound to be a bit 'echo-ey' - oddly enough, neither one happened. What did happen is the bass became weaker and the mids (especially upper-mid vocals) become very forward and quite harsh...

I don't know enough about headphones to know why, except I assume the KSC75s weren't sucking in enough air.

Anyway with a lot of experimenting my final design became a thinner layer of foam pressed against the back of the ear defenders and the drivers sitting propped up from the foam on a small plastic knob. I just bluetacked the back of the driver to the nob. This was by far the most successful setup (about my fifth variation) and now they sound really good!

The mids are still a tad harsh but the bass is back and the sound is quite balanced. I would say it sounds 90% as good as wearing them clipped to the ears. Excluding of course the benefits of sound isolation. Mind you, they look rediculous. If anyone is interested in pics, I can post some up.

Edit: I'm finding the mids are growing on me, not sure if I'm just warming to the sound or if the drivers are improving with time. Also I've noticed very low bass (I'm guessing around 50hertz) are muddying up after the mod. No real biggie, most headphones do. Man, these 'phones have my toe tapping more than any pair I've owned in a loooong time... smiles all 'round!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back