Koss Sportapro and ksc-75: Awesome.
Dec 6, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 29
The KSC-35 will never leave my portable rig- you can quote me on that. Live on, Baby Grados! (and i agree with the 75 ohm adapter thingy too)

Dec 6, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #17 of 29
I enjoy the PortaPros like the next guy, they are not too bad at all. I enjoy the EM7ti much more though. If one lowers their expectations enough almost anything would sound amazing.
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Baby Grados!

You're asking for it, pal.
tongue.gif

As always, I'm going to have to disagree with some of the statements made in this thread. Don't get me wrong, the KSC-50's, 35's, 75's, 214254155's are all just AWESOME for the money, but I can honestly say they don't come anywhere near the quality of higher end phones like my Grados. The bass is bloated and blows away the highs and some of the mids, and it's sloppy compared to Grado bass. Really, I don't consider their sound signature or overall sound quality to be anywhere near Grados at all.

Dec 6, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
You're asking for it, pal.
tongue.gif

As always, I'm going to have to disagree with some of the statements made in this thread. Don't get me wrong, the KSC-50's, 35's, 75's, 214254155's are all just AWESOME for the money, but I can honestly say they don't come anywhere near the quality of higher end phones like my Grados. The bass is bloated and blows away the highs and some of the mids, and it's sloppy compared to Grado bass. Really, I don't consider their sound signature or overall sound quality to be anywhere near Grados at all.

I like my KSC75s as much as my ATH-A900s..even though the sound quality isn't necessarily better/equal to that of the ATH-A900s (the technicas have soundstage going for them, of course). I'd say the KSC75s are 85%-90% of the ATH-A900s, in a lot of ways...and there are ways in which the KSC75s outperform the ATH-A900s.

The bass bloat of the KSC75s that everyone keeps on talking about is exaggerated. Get a good amp, pair it with a 75 ohm adapter, then tell me what you think...yes, the highs are rolled off in comparison with the Grados, but you get very much the same forward mids/impactful bass presentation.

Dec 7, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 29
If you want to experiment you can get several different resistor values and a plug and socket (or a cheap cable you cut in half) for less than the $20 the finished product sells for. There is nothing magical about 75 ohm (except maybe for the etys which were designed for this). You might like a different value. If you find one you like you can package it up easily enough. I can't see spending $20 for a couple of resistors unless they were very special (1% metal film aren't that special)

I found the KSC35 good phones for the money, but, didn't like the bloated bass. Maybe I should do some experimenting, but, I doubt anything I could do would make them compare to a better set of cans

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I like my KSC75s as much as my ATH-A900s..even though the sound quality isn't necessarily better/equal to that of the ATH-A900s (the technicas have soundstage going for them, of course). I'd say the KSC75s are 85%-90% of the ATH-A900s, in a lot of ways...and there are ways in which the KSC75s outperform the ATH-A900s.

The bass bloat of the KSC75s that everyone keeps on talking about is exaggerated. Get a good amp, pair it with a 75 ohm adapter, then tell me what you think...yes, the highs are rolled off in comparison with the Grados, but you get very much the same forward mids/impactful bass presentation.

Impactful bass? In comparison to my Grados, I hear a lot of the pounding of the bass drum (which mind you is like a blow to the head on my Grados, a fart on the KSC-50's, but still mildly resonant at least) and the mid-low to deep bass (bass guitars and double basses, plus lowe stuff like the symphonic-quality bass drums) is way below the SR-80's level, though the prominent mid-bass can make some music sound pleasurable. Toms on a drum set actually are a little more prominent, not bad.

The mids and highs are extremely fuzzy. They aren't terribly grainy or anything, but it sounds like there's a big ol cottonball or something between the transducers and my head. I think maybe I should try this comparison again with the pads off or something. I believe I tried that I while back and really liked the sound. As of right now, the high-end details are very fuzzed out, though there's definitely still a decent amount of detail there. Still, cymbals sound more like a tink-tink-tink, one frequency, while on the SR-80's the cymbals have that loud weird ringing and such and sound more realistic. I actually don't like cymbals on this phone very much. They actually almost sound harsher than on the SR-80 due to that one-frequency type thing that seems to come through.

Impact? The KSC-50's can't even come close to the foot-tapping punchy, fun presentation I get from the SR-80's, but they do make some noise of their own. Compared to any other phones in this price range, these are really a world apart. My point here, though, is that the KSC-50's make some noise of their own, but they really can't hold a candle to the SR-80's presentation.

I really enjoyed this comparison, though. It further confirms my findings on burn-in. When I first got my SR-80's I really missed the physical amount of bass the KSC-50's put out. Well right now it feels that overall, the SR-80's have MORE bass than the KSC-50's (besides in that mid-bass area), and it extends an entire magnitude lower. Amazing that the SR-80's are now the phones that sound fuller overall and make the better presentation in every aspect. Compare a new SR-80 to a KSC-50 and you would actually be disappointed a tiny bit as I was.

Also the amp makes the KSC-50's less bloated unless I'm mistaken.

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #23 of 29
I like the Koss Sportapros because they have taken a beating and I don't feel bad about that any more
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I think my Sportapros are very loud... I listened to them for about a week before I got my new cans... their loudness sneaks up on you. They are great for what you pay, durable and lightweight. Not very fashionable, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #25 of 29
I don't think the ksc55s are as good as the 75s or 35s. I know mine are definately muddier than my 75s. I thought at first it was because they are older, but the more I listen and think about it, I don't think the 55s ever sounded this good. I think the different housings and cable has something to do with it. The channel separation and imaging on these things is astounding for a sub-$50 phone. The 55s bass got boomy when amped, but the 75s just improve with an amp, I don't think they're boomy at all.
smily_headphones1.gif
Where's the Koss clip-on smilely
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Yep. My ATH-A900s are riding pine while my KSC75s have a complete monopoloy on my ears.

The best thing is that they only get better with amplification and a 75 ohm adapter...transforming them into an entirely new beast.

Really? Which 75 ohm adaptor are you using? I'm thinking of doing something like that with my Sportas, as I'm probably going to be selling my DT770's, and can't decide on SR225/325's or ER4P's, so I thought I'd go back to my ol' standard, and dayum! I love the Koss 35/75/Porta/Sporta series...

Dec 8, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #29 of 29
HI:
I have been enjoying the koss75 with my portable radio lately. I have the XIN 75 ohm adapter but don't hear much difference on my portable radio.

The 75s are very fun sounding though. I have the koss UR40 in the mail and will get them in two days. I hope they will block out my computer fan noise. I think the UR40 has the same drivers as the 75s.

I paid 25.00 for the UR40 and like the koss sound so much that I thought that I would give them a try.

Even though the koss 75s and possibly the UR40 are not high end cans they seem to better many higher end stuff because of their fun sound IMO. I am hoping that the UR40 are as much fun as the 75s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back