Koss Sportapro and ksc-75: Awesome.
Dec 4, 2004 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

slug

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased both the koss sportapro and ksc-75 for my girlfriend to use as portables merely based on the acclaim given to them from this forum. I expected them to be good but when I plugged them in right out of the packaging I was blown away.

I have owned Grado SR-225's for about a year now, AT A900's for 8 months or so, and shure e2's for a few weeks and these koss headphones were the first ones to truly "wow" me upon first listen. With headphones that cost around $200 you expect quality out of the sr225 and a900 so maybe that is why they didn't startle me with their fidelity and presentation quite like the Koss 'phones have.

I have only done short comparisons straight out of my ipod (yes I know amped and with a better source would be a different story), but for the purpose of these headphones as being a portable solution I could not be happier for both the price and sound quality. They truly make me wonder if spending 10X as much for my grados and at's was insane. After this post I'm going to do some comparisons with my av710 and amp to see if the difference in price reveals itself a bit more.

At any rate... consider me amazed.
eek.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 29
Yeah that driver is pretty good. I have almost every model koss phone that uses that driver. They each look a little different and have a little different flavor here and there but they all sound pretty close. The UR40 is cool because it has that full size feel but still has the KSC sound. They really are nice for the price.

Dec 5, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by slug
At any rate... consider me amazed.
eek.gif

Yep. My ATH-A900s are riding pine while my KSC75s have a complete monopoloy on my ears.

The best thing is that they only get better with amplification and a 75 ohm adapter...transforming them into an entirely new beast.

Dec 5, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 29
Where can we pick up a ksc-75 from? A google search turns up nothing usefull

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 29
Walmart dont have any of the good cans, i check their headphones every time im in there hoping they would update to some different models. Radio shack has upgraded theirs. They have some KTX pro1 copys, a noise canceling philips HS900 style, a UR40 clone and the plugs. I think Koss is making these cans for them and they are putting their optimus logo on em. They look a little different color wise but ide bet they are the same cans.

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Yep. My ATH-A900s are riding pine while my KSC75s have a complete monopoloy on my ears.

The best thing is that they only get better with amplification and a 75 ohm adapter...transforming them into an entirely new beast.

Where's a good source for a decent 75 ohm adapter? I'm thinking of experimenting.

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 29
Dec 6, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 29
Try xin's 75 ohm adapter at www.fixup.net.

The adapter tightens up/tones down the blass and makes the highs less harsh, in my experience.

I tried the adapter with other low ohm headphones (ATH-A900/PX-100). It changed the sound...I just didn't like the change that much.

I like my KSC75s more than my ATH-A900s because they are more portable, more comfortable, yet still sound great!

They don't have the soundstaging of the ATH-A900s, but I like the open-air aura of the KSC75s.

The transients for the KSC75s are simply faster than those of the ATH-A900, ime, too. I (along with others) find that to be the greatest weakness of the closed audio technica line (including ATH-W2002) in comparison with Grados/Senns: the attack is just a tad slow for some types of music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
Where's a good source for a decent 75 ohm adapter? I'm thinking of experimenting.

Dec 6, 2004 at 8:53 AM Post #13 of 29
Yup, it's really hard to go wrong with most of the Koss KSC series. I don't have the KSC-75's (yet), but I've got the KSC-35, KSC-50, Sporta-Pros and Porta Pros, and for awesome cheap sound, they can't be beat.

-Keith

Dec 6, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 29
Curious... how long has that KSC-XX driver been in production?

Is it the same driver as the old PRO4X series? I had PRO 4X plus cans since 86' they finally died on me a couple years ago. From what I recall they had great bass. Sub-bass seemed to extend lower than V6's. Nice vocal/mid projection. Mids were somewhat similar to V6's but more laid back, considerably less fatigue-ing.

?????

Thanks,
Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back