Koss Pro/4AAA - 70's vintage cans
Jan 31, 2005 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 130

pummer

Head-Fier
Recently I stumbled upon a set of Koss Pro/4AAA's that my dad has had for "30 years," he says. Anyone know anything about these? They sound pretty damn good for their age. I like them, but they're reaaaaally heavy. I think the earpads have deflated though, and I've emailed Koss to try and requisition a new pair. I see they still sell the Pro4AA, but no one seems to know anything about the Pro4AAA.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 130
anyone?
frown.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 130
I've got the Pro 4AAT which are the titanium. Sounds like yours are the aluminium version (4AAA).

The drivers are almost identical for these. These headphones are good quality and very durable. They were designed to last for a long time (~50 years).

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 130
HA, I was just looking on here for some more info on these old puppy's, I found these cans when i was snooping through some of my dads stuff. He said these were pretty old, but still pretty good. Thats good to know that you can still get parts for these cans. I'm listening to them right now, I like em. Have you used these very much?

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 130
I have an old Pro4AA. My impression of them is "meh".

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 130
You mean old Pro4AAA. that looks like that phones chopper pilot has on his head, right?

As far as I heard, that phone was the top of the line at its time about 30 years ago. But I do not think its still on the same spot in these days. Things have been changed, so headphone world is.

About the Pro4AAT which is successor of Pro4AAA, which is supposed to sound identical or better than old Pro4AAA. It looks like people have two extremely different idea regarding that phone. Quite lot of people say "meh" just like eric did, and a few people say its "great".

For me, I have love and hate situation with that.
The phone requires quite lot of power, so headphone amp is a must to take out its full power. It takes quite long time to open up its sound. "great" when it comes to its bass department, the bass was the one of the tightest bass I ever heard, but its little "meh" for other departments. It feels little stuffy and congested due to its closed design and especially its weight is too heavy to be comfortable.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 130
Nah, my Pro4AA is the 30-year-old variety, not the Pro4AAT.

And fwiw koss typically charges $5 for a pair of replacement pads including shipping. It appears that the new MV/1 uses the same pads as the Pro4AAA.

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 130
they sound decent for their time. very neutral, weak in the bass area. those were the best headphones on the market back in the 70s until a company named Sennheiser sprung up.

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 130
Maybe I'll have to hear the Pro4AAA some time. The Pro4aa strikes me as honky and weird.

And Sennheiser introduced the HD414 in 1968, so, not really.

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 130
they were very popular in the 70's but as others stated they lacked bottom
end but very resonable pricing.i think i paid 39.00 at radio shack/tandy anybody else remember when that was the name on the building now its
just radio shack.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #12 of 130
Vintage Koss Pro 4AAA's will reproduce lower bass with clean, unbloated authority, however 4AA's are weak in that department. It's easy to confuse the 4AAA and 4AA names, however there is a difference in looks and sound. If you're lucky, the rarer 4AAA's can be had on eBay for less than $40.

4AAA's:
muspics70s_prod_12_lg.jpg

4AA's:
muspics70s_prod_01_lg.jpg

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by itza2mer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vintage Koss Pro 4AAA's will reproduce lower bass with clean, unbloated authority, however 4AA's are weak in that department. It's easy to confuse the 4AAA and 4AA names, however there is a difference in looks and sound. If you're lucky, the rarer 4AAA's can be had on eBay for less than $40.

4AAA's:
muspics70s_prod_12_lg.jpg

4AA's:
muspics70s_prod_01_lg.jpg

I could never get Koss to send me the correct earpads for the 4AAAs - twice they sent me the 4AA pads, and I just gave up. Maybe I'll try again.

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by pummer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could never get Koss to send me the correct earpads for the 4AAAs - twice they sent me the 4AA pads, and I just gave up. Maybe I'll try again.

Try ordering them now, they should be in stock. I ordered 2 sets of 4AAA replacements earpads last month, and got the correct pads.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 130
I just fixed up an old Koss Pro/4AAA of mine I haven't heard in years and it still sounds quite very good connected to my Technics receiver. I've tried the older Pro4/AA and HATED them because they were woefully uncomfortable due to the design of the Pro/4AA really pressing the whole headphone against your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back