Koss PortaPro Bet
Nov 16, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 21
well not in my case. but i guess if you run with them, i did tap on the cable to see what would happen, sincce i read about the cable noice, and yea its there but only when you are doing something more activity oriented i guess. still in my opinion they sound clean, bass is there when it needs to be although they could use a tad more detail

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #17 of 21
In my opinion, if you want to "teach" someone how to appreciate cleaner music, you got to do it in a manner that the headphone you are introducing must be similar in signature, but gives off cleaner sounds. For "bassy" (more muddy, doh) headphones like Dr. Dre and Skullcandy, you are going to need a headphone that is good (so good that they don't compare) and that they must share the same sound signature (it has to be bassy).

Oh, you also have to make sure that they aren't listening to 128kps too.

I am not sure why she thought the Beats Tour is better, since I sampled it once and I thought it sounded like a slightly cleaner version of my previously owned CX300-II. Wasn't too impressed even before I was introduced to audiohood.
tongue.gif

But then, like I said, there is also the cost factor as well. If they spent loads into a pair of earphones/headphones, they'll want to justify their cost. I usually try to explain my audiophilic self by bringing around my SRH840 and my Skullcandy GI (the only reason to why I own these) and do a blind test from my music source. It almost always explains itself.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #18 of 21
I think the whole bet should be based on value perhaps over straight up sound.  The beats are a lot like the Bose products.  They are pretty decent sounding headphones with emphasis leaning toward one thing or another.  They are priced at the top end of the retail market and dollar for dollar there are better more well rounded headphones available.  But, both have a cult following who would have a fist fight with you rather than admit their headphone is sub par.

I don't agree that the Porta Pro's are overhyped.  For 29 dollars I think it's truly one of the best dollar for dollar headphones you can possibly get your hands on.  They have certainly stood the test of time.  You won't get the most detail out of them as they are a bit muddy, but they are a pretty fun sounding little headphone. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #19 of 21
Ive read wonders about the porta pros i cant wait to get a black pair. Just a concern i really like the design of the sony mdrpq2 any word on the sound quality? I really do make a face when people say skullcandys are good idk how people exect to get quality sound from stores like target.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
Ive read wonders about the porta pros i cant wait to get a black pair. Just a concern i really like the design of the sony mdrpq2 any word on the sound quality? I really do make a face when people say skullcandys are good idk how people exect to get quality sound from stores like target.

I've owned normal ones and 25th anniversary ones, and this might sound silly seeing as they are identical except for the cloth-covered cord but I actually preferred the normal ones. Beats me why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back