KOSS PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition [Photos + Review]
Apr 22, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #76 of 174
Got them today, very nice package, the headband is black anodized, not silver as the original edition, not blue around, they replace with black and gray, the cable is nothing fancy, a very nice jacket and it feels a little less flimsy than the original one, but it is not an aftermarket cable...it is different though, and the plug is also different, the coin and the booklet with the story was a nice touch on top...for the collectors of course
Sound wise and let me tell you that the PP is one of my more neglected headphones, but every time I grab them, place them on my head and fire them up, I was always amazed to hear how good they sound for the price, incredible, definitely my favorite portable headphones while isolation is not an issue and this were not the exception, I played a couple of CDs of Jean Luc Ponty, and honestly, for the price they score in the market (the original one) I do not think that we can complaint...will let them a few days there in the punishment seat, and later on will see again....

May 2, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #78 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchi211 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be ordering mine this week as well. They will be a nice addition to my Portapro collection.

are they OOS? I don't seem them on the website right now
frown.gif

May 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #79 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by zerodeefex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they OOS? I don't seem them on the website right now
frown.gif

Hope this will answer your question on page number 3.....
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the ones interested in getting it, the price will be $79.99 the orders will be placed by phone only. Free shipping till May 1st...
wink.gif

May 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #80 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they compare to a stock PP? Roughly the same?

Roughly the same, yes, even while the cable is different, but to me the only real value, is for the real fans, that may want something unique and different from the rest on the look...same as the HD580 Jubilee, that are basically the same as the HD600...

May 2, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #81 of 174
Quote:

Hope this will answer your question on page number 3.....
wink.gif

Oh
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm apparently incapable of reading!

Thanks!

Quote:

Roughly the same, yes, even while the cable is different, but to me the only real value, is for the real fans, that may want something unique and different from the rest on the look...same as the HD580 Jubilee, that are basically the same as the HD600...

Portapros were my second set of better than crap cans in my life. I picked up a set of portapro 2s from radioshack before a trip since my hd-497s weren't as portable as I wanted for a romp through Europe. They eventually were mangled beyond repair, and I tried a slew of other cans: ksc-75s, akg k26ps, and even px100s, but none of them ever really were a replacement. I eventually turned to IEMs with Shure E4s and se530s for portable use, but the portapros really hold a dear place in my heart. I can fondly remember sitting on the shuttle in college, really letting the music take me away
smily_headphones1.gif
So I think I'll pick up the anniversary set!

May 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #82 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

And a quick question: are the Portapros better than the KOSS KSC75s?

KSC75 drivers are titanium coated Portapro drivers. Draw your own opinions.

May 2, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #83 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMO it will be better to say that the KSC75 uses titanium coated drivers, and the Portapro uses Mylar drivers, some may like one sound over the other, personally I like better the PP, with no titanium coating (nothing against titanium, as the Edition 9 are titanium coated) now, unless you have any extra information to share, I will refrain to make such comments as if they are the same drivers or not, with this or that difference, as we do not know if they are the same or not, or if they were designed one after the other one...No speculations please....
tongue.gif

May 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #84 of 174
Where in Singapore can you get these bad boys my dads out on business there and would love to get a pair.

May 19, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #87 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not just the titanium thingie, it's the housing, too. The portapro's have a "flat back" while the ksc75's have this silly futuristic looking housing at the back of the drivers which affects the sound as well.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #89 of 174
Guys i have the KSC35, KSC75 and portapro, the KSC75 is the best , the detail is crisper than the portapros and the KSC35 sounds thinner.
BUT ..... the Koss UR40 beats them all, same 60ohm driver in a comfy full size open backed can.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #90 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys i have the KSC35, KSC75 and portapro, the KSC75 is the best , the detail is crisper than the portapros and the KSC35 sounds thinner. BUT ..... the Koss UR40 beats them all, same 60ohm driver in a comfy full size open backed can.

I disagree. PortaPro and KSC35 are much better than the KSC75, especially with digital music. Both the PP and 35's add nice warmth to digital music.

I have not had the UR40 but if they are anything like the UR19, which I do have, then not my cup of tea. I find the UR19 lacking in depth (for my taste) over the PP and 35's.

I've been a Koss fan for decades. Still have and use my "original" Portas and going to add the anniversary edition to my collection. Finally I will have a Koss option for every listening source I own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back