Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Jul 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #376 of 1,439
No need to post pads across the Atlantic. Looking at some pics of the Senn PX pads it's obvious that they completely cover the three large slots on the back of the KSC75. Being pleather not foam this has to make the difference.

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #377 of 1,439
Quote:
No need to post pads across the Atlantic. Looking at some pics of the Senn PX pads it's obvious that they completely cover the three large slots on the back of the KSC75. Being pleather not foam this has to make the difference.

Funny you mention that. I noticed those ports yesterday and thought that uncovering them might reduce the bass bloat that the pads cause. I cut out the material covering the slots and the result? No noticeable difference. The headphones are still significantly louder and bloomier with the PX200 pads.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #379 of 1,439
Quote:
About to go on a trip... Can't decide on my PortaPros or my KSC75s on a PortaPro headband... Damn it lol.

Easy choice....KSC75 on PP headband.

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #380 of 1,439
So, I know adding a headband to the KSC75 is about the EASIEST mod you can do.  But, I felt there might be just a handful of people out there who are apprehensive to do the mod without seeing a video.  Soooo  I made one.

It took me about 20 takes, because I have a hard time remembering what to say.  The lighting is poor and sometimes I go a little out of frame.
All and all, it was fun to make though and I thought it turned out ok.

Yep, I do say "Pop"! and a few other random things, please be nice.  Haa.

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #382 of 1,439
So, I know adding a headband to the KSC75 is about the EASIEST mod you can do.  But, I felt there might be just a handful of people out there who are apprehensive to do the mod without seeing a video.  Soooo  I made one.

It took me about 20 takes, because I have a hard time remembering what to say.  The lighting is poor and sometimes I go a little out of frame.
All and all, it was fun to make though and I thought it turned out ok.

Yep, I do say "Pop"! and a few other random things, please be nice.  Haa.

As elementary as tho may be, I'm certainly appreciative. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #383 of 1,439
I did a little experiment to see if I could record my volume differences with an SPL meter. I downloaded a pink noise .MP3 file and played it through my Squeezebox Touch > headphone amplifier > KSC75.

I adjusted the volume with the stock foam pads until my meter indicated 90 dB. Then I adjusted the pads as close together as a could and squeezed moderately (to simulate headband pressure) against the meter to record the SPL. Notice I was careful to touch the earphones only on the mounting tab location - not covering any of the ports on the back.

Here is the photo from this measure...

I then replaced the stock pads with the Sennheiser PX200 leather pads (with cut outs for the slots on the back of the KSC75). Without touching the volume control, I again squeezed the earphones against the meter (with the same pressure). Note in the photo that the compressibility of the leather pads allows a closer seal than with the foam. Here is a photo of this measure...

Leather pads are 10 dB louder than the foam pads. I should mention that changing the amount of pressure on the leather pads back and forth moves the meter up and back considerably and also audibly changes the sound of the pink noise - making it more thick and "muddy." Removing pressure completely from the leather pads makes them measure the same as the stock foam pads.

It isn't very scientific or controlled I know, but it does confirm what I hear on my head. That even with all the ports open, the leather pads make the KSC75 significantly louder than the stock foam pads. This is most likely due to the leather pads "sealing" against the ear better than foam thus creating a sealed cavity between the driver and the ear - in spite of the fact that the KSC75 is an open back earphone.

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #384 of 1,439
I manage to find out what was the 'rattling' right ear problem. There was a small hair stuck in the cup touching the driver as soon as it needed excursion. problem solved!

I'm doing the kramer mod but where can i find the headband or anything that could work without being the part express' one. I'm in canada and they charge 8$ shipping for a 2$ product :frowning2:

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #385 of 1,439
I manage to find out what was the 'rattling' right ear problem. There was a small hair stuck in the cup touching the driver as soon as it needed excursion. problem solved!

I'm doing the kramer mod but where can i find the headband or anything that could work without being the part express' one. I'm in canada and they charge 8$ shipping for a 2$ product :frowning2:

Get some portapros! You could use the headband if you don't like their sound and if you do, congrats you just bought a can almost as good as the 75 in SQ for the price.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #386 of 1,439
Quote:

Have  a look through thrift shops. Those were a generic headphone that came with a lot of cheapo walkmans and cd players.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #387 of 1,439
I've been running my Hiflight 75s through my JDS C5/IPC 6th gen rig and loving it. Here's a little hype (as if it needed more) for some great budget cans, WHICH ARE EVEN BETTER THANKS TO SOME SMALL MODIFICATIONS! 

The higher impedance has definitely smoothed some bumps out, which make some of my live FLAC recordings much more enjoyable.

Enjoy your 75s head-fi!

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #388 of 1,439
I'm having fun using my ksc75 with the fiio e10 connected to my pc. Now I'm just curious using a portable battery pack with the e10 to become a portable combo.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #389 of 1,439
Purchased a KSC75 after a couple of Weeks contemplation with regards to the Superlux HD681 (Frans Mod may be too awkward, difficulty obtaining parts); Monoprice 8323 and the KOSS Pro DJ100.
Am already very pleased with my Modded PortaPro, so decided to try this KSC75.
Definitely do not wish to use the PortaPro headband (ugggly) and have been trying to replace it without success, UK abode. Searched the Parts Express site but need to purchase in bulk, I only need two.
Any links to suitable headbands with compatible clips (without the necessity to use glue/plastic-weld etc) would be most appreciated.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #390 of 1,439
Purchased a KSC75 after a couple of Weeks contemplation with regards to the Superlux HD681 (Frans Mod may be too awkward, difficulty obtaining parts); Monoprice 8323 and the KOSS Pro DJ100.
Am already very pleased with my Modded PortaPro, so decided to try this KSC75.
Definitely do not wish to use the PortaPro headband (ugggly) and have been trying to replace it without success, UK abode. Searched the Parts Express site but need to purchase in bulk, I only need two.
Any links to suitable headbands with compatible clips (without the necessity to use glue/plastic-weld etc) would be most appreciated.

I think these are the same as the parts express headphones and they are £2.59 including delivery on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Altai-A070B-WA-87060-Headphones/dp/B0002DEJMU/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back