Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #1,126 of 1,438
I think people underrate the Sportapro. The sound seems to have opened up a little bit with use and now sounds pretty nice.

I'm one of those that does not lol :)

Glad you're liking them!

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,127 of 1,438
Just purchased 3 pairs of Massdrop Edition KSC75's. Gonna gift two of them to relatives and keep one for myself. Looking forward to trying them out. :ksc75smile:
I've been listening to the new Tool album with my KSC75s (with headband) and it is musical heaven. I might order a couple of the Massdrops.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #1,128 of 1,438
I've been listening to the new Tool album with my KSC75s (with headband) and it is musical heaven. I might order a couple of the Massdrops.

I received a $20.00 coupon as a new Drop member, and just purchased 2 ksc75x for $14, $7 ($34.00 minus $20.00 coupon). I'm going to recable and put the ksc75 drivers on a PortaPro.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #1,129 of 1,438
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #1,130 of 1,438
I was about to pull the trigger on the Massdrops, but then I read the cable is significantly thinner than the regular KSC75s. Since I don't know how to re-cable, I think I'll pass.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9w6cii/massdrop_koss_ksc75_wire_is_super_thin/

I'd read about that in the Massdrop KSC75 discussion thread too. I'll just have to give it a try personally since I've never owned them. I'm quite gentle with my gear so we'll see how it goes. As for the two pairs that I'll be gifting, it works out better for them because they'll likely be using it with their smartphones and the Massdrop edition has an in-line mic to allow them to make calls with it. Whereas the original Silver KSC75 does not. I personally could do without the in-line mic since I don't plan on using it with a smartphone. So I might just buy a pair of the original ones eventually since they have a thicker wire and no in-line mic. In which case I'll eventually just give my Massdrop pair away to another family member.

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,131 of 1,438
I'd read about that in the Massdrop KSC75 discussion thread too. I'll just have to give it a try personally since I've never owned them. I'm quite gentle with my gear so we'll see how it goes. As for the two pairs that I'll be gifting, it works out better for them because they'll likely be using it with their smartphones and the Massdrop edition has an in-line mic to allow them to make calls with it. Whereas the original Silver KSC75 does not. I personally could do without the in-line mic since I don't plan on using it with a smartphone. So I might just buy a pair of the original ones eventually since they have a thicker wire and no in-line mic. In which case I'll eventually just give my Massdrop pair away to another family member.
The cable is thinner and springier, but has better strain relief where most KSC75 units fail. Worst case scenario, I am able to recable/mmcx mod for those interested (for a fee, of course). :p

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,132 of 1,438
I got my KSC75s last week. I've been putting them through their paces and they sound great. There's more bass than I expected. They lack sub bass but are suitably punchy. I'm digging the sound. I ordered some Yaxi pads.

I got the PE Headband off of ebay but it seems like there are different versions. Three at least as far as I can tell. There's the original with the rectangular ends and the metal band has kinks to stop the plastic parts from sliding up. There's a similar version but the metal part is not kinked and instead has a bump on each side to prevent the plastic from sliding up. There's the bad version that doesn't fit the KSC75 and the metal ends are contained within the plastic.

I have the kind where the metal is not kinked and has the bumps. I'm wondering if anyone has both this and the kinked version. They fit fine, but I'm wondering if the kinked version is superior. They seem like they would have more clamping ability. Anyone know?

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,133 of 1,438
I got my KSC75s last week. I've been putting them through their paces and they sound great. There's more bass than I expected. They lack sub bass but are suitably punchy. I'm digging the sound. I ordered some Yaxi pads.

I got the PE Headband off of ebay but it seems like there are different versions. Three at least as far as I can tell. There's the original with the rectangular ends and the metal band has kinks to stop the plastic parts from sliding up. There's a similar version but the metal part is not kinked and instead has a bump on each side to prevent the plastic from sliding up. There's the bad version that doesn't fit the KSC75 and the metal ends are contained within the plastic.

I have the kind where the metal is not kinked and has the bumps. I'm wondering if anyone has both this and the kinked version. They fit fine, but I'm wondering if the kinked version is superior. They seem like they would have more clamping ability. Anyone know?
So uh, you can ignore most of the above. It slipped my mind that I actually impulse bought the original Parts Express headband the other day (from Amazon) and just got it in the mail. So first I didn't realize that this also has bumps to prevent the plastic from sliding up in addition to the kinks. This version is far superior to the other two. These allow the drivers to pivot much better. That plus the kinks in the metal of the headband allow a much better fit. I'm very happy I got these. Looking forward to getting those Yaxi pads to complete my top tier cheapo daily drivers.

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,134 of 1,438
So uh, you can ignore most of the above. It slipped my mind that I actually impulse bought the original Parts Express headband the other day (from Amazon) and just got it in the mail. So first I didn't realize that this also has bumps to prevent the plastic from sliding up in addition to the kinks. This version is far superior to the other two. These allow the drivers to pivot much better. That plus the kinks in the metal of the headband allow a much better fit. I'm very happy I got these. Looking forward to getting those Yaxi pads to complete my top tier cheapo daily drivers.
It speaks volumes about the quality of these cheap headphones that I have more expensive and supposedly better headphones gathering dust while my Koss's have become a daily fixture. The only question is whether I reach for the headbanded KSC75, vanilla Portapro or vanilla Sportapro! :)
The PE headband allows the drivers quite a bit of movement but clamps reasonably well without being particularly tight. The KSC75 and PE headband is one of the best cheap headphone purchases that can possibly be made.

Sep 5, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,136 of 1,438
What do you guys recommend for a cheap replacement pad for the KSC75 ? The pads on one of my pairs are shot. Thanks.
Do you want the same pads again? If so you can get official Koss pads quite cheap. I paid about £5 for a pack of three pairs.
People on here have written positive things about Yaxi pads as well. I've never tried them personally though so can't offer an opinion on them.

Sep 5, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #1,137 of 1,438
Do you want the same pads again? If so you can get official Koss pads quite cheap. I paid about £5 for a pack of three pairs.
People on here have written positive things about Yaxi pads as well. I've never tried them personally though so can't offer an opinion on them.
Definitely go with the Yaxi pads. Good improvement in pad longetivity, comfort, and sound. You can get 2 pairs of different colors for $20. Yes, cost more than the Koss original replacement pads, but definitely worth the added expense.

Sep 5, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,138 of 1,438
What do you guys recommend for a cheap replacement pad for the KSC75 ? The pads on one of my pairs are shot. Thanks.
I like yaxi pads and Plantronics donut pads.

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #1,139 of 1,438
I think I popped my driver's on and off various headbands too much. Now the left one falls off sometimes, especially if I toss it in my bag. The clip on the driver looks worn down a little. I'll have to figure something out...

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #1,140 of 1,438
I think I popped my driver's on and off various headbands too much. Now the left one falls off sometimes, especially if I toss it in my bag. The clip on the driver looks worn down a little. I'll have to figure something out...
I've read that the ball joint can become worn away, which is why I try not to pop them on and off too many times. The KSC75s have only been popped off the headband once or twice since I got it and that was only to try the Sportapro drivers on the headband.
I'm not sure they were designed to be popped on and off repeatedly but at least they're pretty cheap to replace if they end up goosed. I've actually got a spare set in case my current pair breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back