Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Oct 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #586 of 1,438
To end on an on topic note, I actually feel the KSC75 have the perfect amount of bass for me. I have been curious about trying out the PortaPros and switching drivers to see if it's really so much better... but I like the sound so much already I kind of don't want it to change.

The drivers themselves actually have similar, if not identical, amounts of bass (see here), the marked difference between models being distance to the ear. KSC clips put the drivers a little farther away than the PortaPro headband does, they also have a thicker foam. I adjust the PortaPro bass response to my liking by using the thicker KSC foams and playing with the headband pressure.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #587 of 1,438
The drivers themselves actually have similar, if not identical, amounts of bass (see here), the marked difference between models being distance to the ear. KSC clips put the drivers a little farther away than the PortaPro headband does, they also have a thicker foam. I adjust the PortaPro bass response to my liking by using the thicker KSC foams and playing with the headband pressure.

+1. Slap the sportapro/portapro drivers on the parts express headband so that they are lightly on the ear and they sound awesome.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #588 of 1,438
Two
The drivers themselves actually have similar, if not identical, amounts of bass (see here), the marked difference between models being distance to the ear

Two words: sample size. Can't trust those measurements if they're only gonna measure 1 driver pair. My KSC35 driver is definitely bassier than the KSC75 driver with the same clips.
A little off topic, but bro if you haven't put L-cush pads on your SR60i then you've been missing out
smily_headphones1.gif

I did do that. I still think the SR225i is slightly better, though admittedly you basically pay more than double the price for the small improvement.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #589 of 1,438
Hi, just want to say : Thank you. I bought my pair of KSC75 one year ago and they are amazing. Less muffled than the Porta Pro, pretty comfortable, and that sound... Just exceptional. The only thing which is missing is isolation, but on the other hand the airy sound is amazing. They easily compete with more expensive headphones ! 

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #590 of 1,438
Two words: sample size. Can't trust those measurements if they're only gonna measure 1 driver pair. My KSC35 driver is definitely bassier than the KSC75 driver with the same clips.

One word: Consistency. These drivers have been in manufacturing for so long that driver matching is practically perfect for all pairs, furthermore, all graphs I've seen put the overall bass response between models within 2 dB of each other. If anything, the KSC75 driver should sound thicker due to the higher harmonic distortion from 200 Hz and down. So yeah, don't take my word for it, but I won't take your impressions either over my own plus a handful of measurements that seem to back up what I'm saying. Next time try switching the foams around as well, current KSC foams are almost twice as thick.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #591 of 1,438
One word: Consistency. These drivers have been in manufacturing for so long that driver matching is practically perfect for all pairs, furthermore, all graphs I've seen put the overall bass response between models within 2 dB of each other.

2dB is noticeable.

Also, there actually is driver variance because it's known that Koss sources multiple companies for Portapro production. That's why packaging is vastly different even between models for the same country. It's also why there's a bunch of bootleg Portapros running around. I can go to five places in my city and come up with five Portapros, all in different packaging, despite the vendors claiming that they're recent stock. There are also KSC75s with and without inline volume controls, though they are all the same SKU.

Actually, it so difficult to figure out which ones are legit anymore that I only buy Koss from koss.com. The reason the KSC35 is $45 on koss.com is because they made a special production run in the mid-2000s (I believe it was 2003) after huge demand to bring it back. (The KSC50 was poorly received) Chances are those KSC35 units are still from that single run, and it is priced as such so that they don't sell quickly; once they're gone, they're really gone. I would expect the actual KSC35 drivers to be of a higher standard than the rest, simply because there's a lesser chance of variance from the same production run.

When you warranty a KSC35, they will send you a KSC75 (before then it was a KSC50). They will not send you a new KSC35 because they have told me over the phone that they no longer produce them.

So I can't in good faith believe those measurements unless you purchase a KSC35 from koss.com and measure THOSE.

EDIT: Checked out the site some more -- lol those Portapro measurements with the 4K dip. So much for consistency

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #592 of 1,438

. . . .It's also why there's a bunch of bootleg Portapros running around. I can go to five places in my city and come up with five Portapros, all in different packaging, despite the vendors claiming that they're recent stock. There are also KSC75s with and without inline volume controls, though they are all the same SKU.  
Actually, it so difficult to figure out which ones are legit anymore that I only buy Koss from koss.com. . . .

So one or none of the Portapros you might find in your city being sold by reputable retailers you would suspect of being bootlegged? Legit retail outlets, right? 

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #593 of 1,438
2 dB IS noticeable, but well within the realm of measurement / rig variations. I wasn't talking about the DIYAH measurements only, there's measurements over at Headroom, GoldenEars and others for both models. DIYAH does not smooth the plots, and most every other site does to some degree, so that's why you see more pronounced peaks and dips. The treble response, however, is markedly different between models due to ringing induced by the titanium coating in the KSC75, so no surprises there.

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #594 of 1,438
Man these are nice, ear freeing break from the IEMs. Problem is the stock ear clips are not clips at all, I imagined they would have had a spring. So they sway around off the ear, bass especially sounds completely different. Gonna need better clips or headband.

I can't believe how much problems I have with fitting and movement with all kinds of portable phones, I want to put this issue to rest...

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #595 of 1,438
  Man these are nice, ear freeing break from the IEMs. Problem is the stock ear clips are not clips at all, I imagined they would have had a spring. So they sway around off the ear, bass especially sounds completely different. Gonna need better clips or headband.

I can't believe how much problems I have with fitting and movement with all kinds of portable phones, I want to put this issue to rest...

Yeah, you gotta lose the clips. Parts express headband works great. Or get the sportapros (aka portapro drivers) and enjoy them as is (or even better with Trindymom's mods), or else put your ksc75 drivers into the sportapro headband. Plenty of great options.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #596 of 1,438
Thanks - parts express one costs at very least another KSC to ship here... if I wanted the sporta pro headband, I might as well as have bought sporta pro in the first place... can't win with these things. Maybe some cheap european equivalent of parts express...

E: I like the sound very much though... much more natural to listen to than the IEMs due to the airiness and whatnot. PX100 sounded wimpy compared as well. I've been falling asleep on the couch listening to some albums.
smile.gif
I mean not in the being bored way...

Some bending of the clips helps a bit, might try to mod PX100 band with these.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #597 of 1,438
I rediscovered my 75's for use with an iPhone 5S and what sheer listening pleasure over my iPod classic. I'm carrying the 75's more and more and in its stock state.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #600 of 1,438
Checking in! Its been a few months!

Its great to see that the community is having tons of fun modding and discovering this headphone. I just want to say that i never thought that one of my threads would ever become this popular and still be active 2+ years later.

I would just like to thank each and every one of you whom have contributed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back