Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #121 of 1,439
Quote:

oh i have a donor headband from a coby set.  They work great with a little moddification but the portapro's are just a classic look.  

That they are! You are a dedicated Koss-head my friend!
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #122 of 1,439
For anyone in the UK who wants one of these cheap headbands it can be found for £0.99 + £1.99 postage on ebay. Orange Lightweight Stereo Headphones Adjustable Headband Cheap School Office

Quite a lot of other people and stores sell them. The product part number is A070B so if you google "a070b headphone uk" you'll find a choice. Sometimes these are branded as Altai. I bought mine from the ebay seller linked above and they were delivered on time (just now). The KSC75 clip right into the headband as expected and it works nicely. You can have the drivers a little lower and more forward than is possible with the clips so you no longer have that feeling that the music is above and behind as the positioning is now the same as with a conventional headphone.

These also look just right with my iRiver H140:

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #123 of 1,439
Good of you to mention those!

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #124 of 1,439
KSC75s are awesome! 
I love these little babies :)
For $15,  the sound coming out of these is unbelievable
Pretty great  soundstage, clarity, and instrument separation 

I'm still burning them in but I haven't noticed too much of a difference (~30 hrs of burn in)
I also Kramer modded them but didn't notice a huge difference
I did initially dent the diaphragm but was able to fix it by sucking it back out with a straw

The clips do start to hurt my ears after a while so I ordered a pait of Sportapros and I'm gonna stick them in the headband
And as a bonus I'll have another pair of KSC35s to play and compare with!

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #125 of 1,439
^ Awesome! 
size]

Quote:
The clips do start to hurt my ears after a while so I ordered a pait of Sportapros and I'm gonna stick them in the headband
And as a bonus I'll have another pair of KSC35s to play and compare with!

Also awesome! After doing these mods to the sportapro's, I am kind of digging keeping them intact, and keeping the ksc75's on the parts express headband (which looks to be the same as the headband that Julian posted above).

Either way, lots of fun options with the great, cheap headphones!

Edit: speaking of dimples on the driver, my avatar is showing the same thing. It's almost impossible NOT to put dimples in those drivers! Just breathing on them dimples them lol.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #126 of 1,439
Is there any compact way to protect the KSC-75s?  I love the Koss Lifetime Warranty, but I hate being away from the Koss KSC-75s while they send me a new pair.

I'd rather keep them protected.  However, the case you can get for them is too big.  I want a more compact hard case that I can use for the headphones.  Any thoughts?

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #127 of 1,439
Is there any compact way to protect the KSC-75s?  I love the Koss Lifetime Warranty, but I hate being away from the Koss KSC-75s while they send me a new pair.

I'd rather keep them protected.  However, the case you can get for them is too big.  I want a more compact hard case that I can use for the headphones.  Any thoughts?

I bought a hard shell camera case for £1.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #128 of 1,439
^ Awesome! 
size]

Also awesome! After doing these mods to the sportapro's, I am kind of digging keeping them intact, and keeping the ksc75's on the parts express headband (which looks to be the same as the headband that Julian posted above).

Either way, lots of fun options with the great, cheap headphones!

Edit: speaking of dimples on the driver, my avatar is showing the same thing. It's almost impossible NOT to put dimples in those drivers! Just breathing on them dimples them lol.

The dimples affect the sound. To remedy them blow really really hard through the vents on the back of the clips. It should pop them out or atleast most of them.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #129 of 1,439
Quote:
The dimples affect the sound. To remedy them blow really really hard through the vents on the back of the clips. It should pop them out or atleast most of them.

I also managed to accidentally rip the cable out of that pair, so they are no more and I'm using another pair. That's good to know though for future reference! Thanks.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #130 of 1,439
I recently got a pair of these but ended up returning them. They sounded good for $15 - $20 bucks, but I had some weird distortion on mine.

Does anyone hear chirping/whistling distortion noises when playing songs with deep sub-bass frequencies at louder volumes? Did I get a defective unit or is it just a limitation of these drivers?

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #131 of 1,439
It possibly indicates trying to drive them without powerful enough amplification and causing clipping. What were you using them with?

These are not the most sensitive earphones and impedance is relatively high. They aren't ideally suited to devices with low ouput.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #132 of 1,439
Quote:
It possibly indicates trying to drive them without powerful enough amplification and causing clipping. What were you using them with?

These are not the most sensitive earphones and impedance is relatively high. They aren't ideally suited to devices with low ouput.

I used them with a Fiio E11 amp and ipod touch. I could hear distortion and clipping even when amped.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #133 of 1,439
Quote:

I used them with a Fiio E11 amp and ipod touch. I could hear distortion and clipping even when amped.

I run mine off an E11 (amongst other things) and have never run into distortion. Any chance you have some foreign matter in the driver compartment?

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #134 of 1,439
Quote:
I run mine off an E11 (amongst other things) and have never run into distortion. Any chance you have some foreign matter in the driver compartment?

I didn't check the drivers for any stuck hairs or anything. They were brand new though.....I just assumed they were defective out of the box or it was just a limitation of the driver.

Can you make them clip at all? I could easily get them to clip when I raised on the volume on the E11 on bass heavy songs.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #135 of 1,439
I know that my Koss KSC 35 would start clipping when there was a problem with the wiring.  Happened every few years after heavy use.  It never, ever had any issues otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back