Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Sep 23, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #1,171 of 1,437
I ended up putting tape over the KSC75 clip. It gives the PE headband enough to grab onto now.
that's a good idea. will do that with the headband I'm receiving in a couple of days. Thanks for the tip!

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #1,172 of 1,437
Been meaning to post this for awhile. Thought some of you Koss fans would be interested in how the early mid to late 2000s KSC75 and early 2000s US-Made KSC-35 and Ford Mac5's looked like.

I07YxTe.jpg

m1gITNo.jpg

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #1,173 of 1,437
So after listening to the KSC75s and PortaPros for awhile I've come to a decision: I prefer the KSC75s. I'm half considering selling the PortaPros, or maybe I'll just throw them in the closet and come back to them after awhile to see if my tastes have changed. People criticize the bass of the KSC75s, but I don't find it to be any worse than the bass in the PortaPros. The difference is the PortaPros are warmer throughout which causes you to lose the crisp highs that the KSC75s have. But my favorite part about the KSC75s are how great vocals sound. That's mainly where they outclass the PortaPros, in my opinion.

I ran into an issue with the KSC75s where they sounded better at home than at work. Weird huh? At home they would have great bass and controlled highs, but at work they'd lack bass and cause fatigue. I recently realized that it's because I listen to them at lower volume at work because I'm concerned about listening to headphones at too high volume for too long and also bothering my neighbors. But at home normally I'll have them on when washing the dishes or something which causes me to turn up the volume more. They sound great with the sound turned up just a little bit louder. Of course, I wouldn't do that for longer listening sessions.

In the end I think I'll still be bringing the KSC75s to work but I'll be leaving the PortaPros at home. I'll be swapping between the KSC75s and my Skullcandy Grinds (I know, Skullcandy doesn't have a good reputation here but these are legit, especially for sub $20 open box you can get on eBay).

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #1,174 of 1,437
So after listening to the KSC75s and PortaPros for awhile I've come to a decision: I prefer the KSC75s. I'm half considering selling the PortaPros, or maybe I'll just throw them in the closet and come back to them after awhile to see if my tastes have changed. People criticize the bass of the KSC75s, but I don't find it to be any worse than the bass in the PortaPros. The difference is the PortaPros are warmer throughout which causes you to lose the crisp highs that the KSC75s have. But my favorite part about the KSC75s are how great vocals sound. That's mainly where they outclass the PortaPros, in my opinion.

I ran into an issue with the KSC75s where they sounded better at home than at work. Weird huh? At home they would have great bass and controlled highs, but at work they'd lack bass and cause fatigue. I recently realized that it's because I listen to them at lower volume at work because I'm concerned about listening to headphones at too high volume for too long and also bothering my neighbors. But at home normally I'll have them on when washing the dishes or something which causes me to turn up the volume more. They sound great with the sound turned up just a little bit louder. Of course, I wouldn't do that for longer listening sessions.

In the end I think I'll still be bringing the KSC75s to work but I'll be leaving the PortaPros at home. I'll be swapping between the KSC75s and my Skullcandy Grinds (I know, Skullcandy doesn't have a good reputation here but these are legit, especially for sub $20 open box you can get on eBay).
Been listening between the two recently, like you, and I agree with your assessment. I favor the KSC75 over Porta Pro. KSC75 with Yaxi pads on Parts Express headband = Yummy! Just can't get over how darker the PP's are, and I think bass on the KSC75 is just fine. Can always hit the bass bump switch on my headphone amps, or EQ my ES100 if needed.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,175 of 1,437
KSC75 drivers are my go-to also but my portapro2/MAC5 have their uses for music such as electronic/trance.

Just a heads up, i managed to order two pairs of KSC75X version for only $14 from drop aka massdrop, with the $20 new customer coupon. i believe the promo ends this weekend. Can never have too many KSC75 as backups/stocking stuffers. :ksc75smile:

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #1,176 of 1,437
I'm surprised this Post is still alive.
Stumbled on to here while searching for something else, it's been approximately 6 years since I commented on this Post.

I'm still using a KOSS KSC75 as my daily everywhere headphones.
Previously modded a thick cable with Parts Express headband but found something else more comfortable, Sennheiser PX100/PX200 headbands (they are the same)..... https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kos...e-hidden-gem-hype.638757/page-29#post-9805690

The thick cable didn't break but too heavy, now using a MMCX cable with a MassDrop black KSC75.
I prefer the Sennheiser HD414 foam pads over the Yaxi version, just personal taste.
Also replace the grill........
Utilising a USB3 to 3.5mm DAC adapter to mobile, the little USB converter is for use with IBM Thinkkpad T60p.

Here are images of what I'm currently using, if it breaks, I 'll replace with exactly the same and yes I am vain when deciding to have yellow brackets/covers to match the foam pads......though not quite a perfect match.
w64vqyf.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #1,178 of 1,437
Ok... I've finally read through the entire 79 pages of this thread and I finally feel entitled to post here, lol.

My personal experience/findings with the Koss 'phones are:-

I started with the PortaPro and found them too bassy and a bit veiled for my tastes. Honestly felt disappointed and suckered into the hype. But given the cost of them (£26), decided to go down the modding rabbit hole and found some sizeable improvements straight away with the Kramer mod and the quarter mod alone but the bass was still too prominent for my tastes. So from there, my objective was to distance the drivers away. First I made rings with paracord and fitted them inside the foam pads, which made a positive change. My next mod was to double up on the temple pads on the headband. Again, an improvement on the sound - albeit at the detriment to comfort... But only marginally. Then I came across the KSC75. Yay. Sound-wise was hitting the sonic sweet spot straight away but the earclips were a bit of a bugger. I couldn't bend them to my liking but worse yet, I couldn't get them symmetrical which unbalanced the sound. I then clipped the KSC75 drivers onto the PortaPro headband (with the double temple pads) which to this day is (to my ears) the best combination sonically but the comfort wasn't perfect. Not bad but doesn't 'disappear'. I then got the PE headband which made them WAY more comfortable but the original foam pads were a little abrasive after about 20 min. So I got the Yaxi pads which are SOOOO much more comfortable and they finally disappear once worn. So my current iteration is the KSC75 with the Yaxi pads and PE headband. The PE headband does bring the bass up a notch but is a compromise I'm wiling to live with for the comfort it brings. My normal 'out and about' cans are Senn HD380 but they are unbearable in hot weather - this is another aspect where the KSC75 really shines. Since they are so inexpensive, I'm not too concerned about sweat damage because the replacement is not a bank-breaker at all. And the Yaxi pads can easily be washed under the tap with some soap. I've yet to try the paracord rings with the KSC75 tho. But the elevated bass is not unwelcome with the sparkle of these cans. Another thing I like about them is that they look so unassuming. A true wolf in sheep's clothing! Next mod I want to do is MMCX and BT20 but I don't have access to a 3D printer. Anyone here wanna hook a brother up?

In conclusion, the 'Yaxi PE75' are great and makes more expensive headphones harder to justify (except for the sub bass to which there is apparently no known cure thus far). Still not going to stop me from buying more headphones tho. I know I have a problem but I don't have a problem with it (?!). I be a magpie like that.

Love my 'Yaxi PE75' and recommend it to anyone who's willing to listen. Even just the stock KSC75.

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,179 of 1,437
Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #1,180 of 1,437
Thanks. I'll give that a whirl once I get back to shore (I'm somewhere in the open waters in the Natuna archipelago at the mo). It'll probably be some time after Christmas before I have access to such things.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #1,181 of 1,437
Ok... I've finally read through the entire 79 pages of this thread and I finally feel entitled to post here, lol.

My personal experience/findings with the Koss 'phones are:-

I started with the PortaPro and found them too bassy and a bit veiled for my tastes. Honestly felt disappointed and suckered into the hype. But given the cost of them (£26), decided to go down the modding rabbit hole and found some sizeable improvements straight away with the Kramer mod and the quarter mod alone but the bass was still too prominent for my tastes. So from there, my objective was to distance the drivers away. First I made rings with paracord and fitted them inside the foam pads, which made a positive change. My next mod was to double up on the temple pads on the headband. Again, an improvement on the sound - albeit at the detriment to comfort... But only marginally. Then I came across the KSC75. Yay. Sound-wise was hitting the sonic sweet spot straight away but the earclips were a bit of a bugger. I couldn't bend them to my liking but worse yet, I couldn't get them symmetrical which unbalanced the sound. I then clipped the KSC75 drivers onto the PortaPro headband (with the double temple pads) which to this day is (to my ears) the best combination sonically but the comfort wasn't perfect. Not bad but doesn't 'disappear'. I then got the PE headband which made them WAY more comfortable but the original foam pads were a little abrasive after about 20 min. So I got the Yaxi pads which are SOOOO much more comfortable and they finally disappear once worn. So my current iteration is the KSC75 with the Yaxi pads and PE headband. The PE headband does bring the bass up a notch but is a compromise I'm wiling to live with for the comfort it brings. My normal 'out and about' cans are Senn HD380 but they are unbearable in hot weather - this is another aspect where the KSC75 really shines. Since they are so inexpensive, I'm not too concerned about sweat damage because the replacement is not a bank-breaker at all. And the Yaxi pads can easily be washed under the tap with some soap. I've yet to try the paracord rings with the KSC75 tho. But the elevated bass is not unwelcome with the sparkle of these cans. Another thing I like about them is that they look so unassuming. A true wolf in sheep's clothing! Next mod I want to do is MMCX and BT20 but I don't have access to a 3D printer. Anyone here wanna hook a brother up?

In conclusion, the 'Yaxi PE75' are great and makes more expensive headphones harder to justify (except for the sub bass to which there is apparently no known cure thus far). Still not going to stop me from buying more headphones tho. I know I have a problem but I don't have a problem with it (?!). I be a magpie like that.

Love my 'Yaxi PE75' and recommend it to anyone who's willing to listen. Even just the stock KSC75.
Great review! It is hard to go wrong with the Yaxi setup. I have more expensive headphones, but this set up gets the most head time. Especially with my Hidizs AP80. Truly magical.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #1,182 of 1,437
@MisterMudd Thanks. Mine's almost always plugged into the Shaling M0 - even when listening to music on my phone! With the M0 on the plastic clip and the cable shortened and held with a rubber band, is hard to beat. Once I do the MMCX mod, the cable arrangement should become easier and more elegant.

For those without the PE headband, I highly recommend the PortaPro headband with double temple pads.

I will try the Yaxi pads with paracord rings soon and will report back.

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #1,183 of 1,437
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #1,184 of 1,437
@JaiSAn thanks for the list of cables. I've never ventured into exotic cable materials before but this sounds (pun intended?) like a good opportunity to start.

They look like pretty cables. How easy is it to remove the 'ear hook' from these things? I'm getting way ahead of myself here, I know...

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,185 of 1,437
They look like pretty cables. How easy is it to remove the 'ear hook' from these things?
The earhooks can be straightened out with hair dryer and if desired, use fine pointed scissors (can be found in Superdrugs/Boots for a few £s) to snip it as there's small spiral gaps on the inside but be careful not to damage the cable.
If the ears hooks are not required then the 3rd Link (supposedly better cables) may be the better option as there's no transparent built-in hooks....
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...52913_46f62553c7&cn=9263&cv=15091&afref=30828

These cables are more supple, feels more softer probably because of the weave and it's less inclined to tangle. All in all, I'm very happy with these cables at these prices, can't beat £8 all inclusive albeit slow boat from China delivery.

Last Week, I purchased that 3rd Link £11 cable just to satisfy my curiosity of quality differences, the reason I have all these links at hand.

NB. Some people complained these cables have connection issues but that's because of their own misjudgement/mistake, they didn't #click the connectors into place correctly resulting with intermitten connections, it requires a little force with the end reasult having no gaps. The annoying part is the unplugging, need to be very careful but after a few times it becomes easier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back