Koss KSC-35 vs. KSC-75
Sep 25, 2004 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

sbatth

Head-Fier
hi all,

side by side pic
koss.gif

differences in bold below (even if it's just a difference in wording of the same thing or sthg that's in both but only mentions it on the page for one of them)

ksc-35 - $29.99 (direct link to product at koss.com)
Quote:

Frequency Response: 15-25,000 Hz
Unique sportclip design fits around the ear, eliminating the headband
Dynamic element design for deep bass performance
Includes convenient carrying case
Straight, dual entry 4 foot cord
Includes 1/8" and 1/4" stereo plugs for home and portable use

Impedance: 60 ohms
Weight: 0.7 oz.
Sensitivity: 101 dB SPL/1mW
Distortion: <0.2%
Cord: Straight, Dual Entry, 4ft
Plug: 3.5 mm/6.4 mm

ksc-75 - $19.99 (direct link to product at koss.com)
Quote:

Titanium-coated high polymer diaphragm for accurate sound reproduction
Dynamic element design for extended frequency response
Sportclip design fits around the ear to eliminate the headband
Neodymium iron boron magnet structures for deep bass performance
Oxygen-free copper voice coils for signal clarity
Straight, dual entry 4 foot cord

Impedance: 60 ohms
Weight: 1.5 oz.
Sensitivity: 101 dB SPL/1mW
Distortion: <0.2%
Cord: Straight, Dual Entry, 4ft
Plug: 3.5 mm

summary of difference from the web pages:
minor differences (for me): ksc-35 comes w/a carrying case, a 1/4" plug
major differences (again, for me): differences in the clips, weight, 75's are $10 cheaper

i don't own either of these cans but have been reading whatever i can find about them. seeing as how the ksc-35's are such a hot recommendation here for cheap/portable cans, this ought to be a nice opportunity for the few lucky ppl who have tried both or the new ksc-75's to share some more info w/us. i guess the 75s were released early this month and i'm sure there are some guys out there who have them by now (e.g. cannedheat and 3805). there was a thread started here but that was more of a news release (and car discussion, lol) than an informational bit.

thanks to cannedheat we do know the following:
Quote:

I do not like the additional bulk - but this may be an illusion caused by the silver phones, translucent ear thingy, and black pads. The all-black KSC-35s appear much slimmer.

There are several good design points that favor the 75s. First, they fit and hold very close to the ear. Secondly, they are more comfortable than the 35s. I believe they will be more durable than the 35s as well.

The only drawback, thus far, is the larger depth - probably due to the translucent cover on the ear wires (the part that holds the phones onto the ear)....
I believe the 75s fit a bit better on my ears and are more comfortable than the 35s. The depth of the 75s is much larger. I estimate the 35s are roughly .75" tall when the ear clips are compressed. The 75s are roughly 1.25" tall and cannot be compressed - the ear clip pivots, but cannot travel close to the driver...
My son fell asleep with the 75s on. When I lied down on the floor, without a pillow, the left phone fell off. When used with a pillow, the 75s are confortable - but they may slide off of the ear when sitting up...
My first perceptions of the sound may change over time....but here are my first impressions:

My perceptions are the 75s do not have the bass that is exhibited by the KSC-35s. I feel the balance has shifted slightly toward the midrange. The bass seems more-natural with the 75s.

The 75s are a helluva phone for the dollars. They are more-comfortable than the 35s in my opinion...

we also got this from 4805:
Quote:

people seem to think that the weight between the ksc 50's and 35's was significant, but it really was the nature of the earclips. The 75's weigh even more than the 50's, but feel exactly the same as the ksc 35's. the weight is a non-issue.
Oh, btw, i recieved them today! First impression is that they sound similar, if not exactly the same as, the ksc 35's (don't have the 35's around anymore to compare). A major improvement is that the earclips can be bent and adjusted like the 50's, while retaining the comfort and hold of the 35's. The clip is a metal wire tube surronded by smooth, rubbery plastic in order for the clips to be able to flex. All these factors combine to make it a much better value (imo) than the ksc 35's, being that they are $10 cheaper.

so to start things off, i'd like to ask a couple questions to anybody who has tried the 75s out:

1. how well can the ksc-75s stay on while exercising (where there is bobbing up and down motion like running)? it sounds like they don't stay on as well as the 35s from what cannedheat said but 3805's post makes me think that they hold just as well. could either of you or somebody else please tell me more about this?

2. how does the sound of the 75s compare to the 35s? that is also another issue we seem to be getting different feedback on. is the bass a bit different or are they identical for the most part?

thanks!

Sep 25, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 56
well, to answer the first question, the ksc 75's clips can be flexed to fit the driver closer or father away from the ear, thus letting the user be able to control hold and fit. To me they perform just as well as the 35's for running and weight lifting.The ksc 35's clips are hard plastic and cannot be bent.

Most tend to think that the ksc 35's sound better than the rest of the koss 60 ohm line of headphones because they have the closest fit to the ear. When i first received my 75's they seemed to not be as bass heavy as the 35's. All though i did not have my 35's for reference, (gave 'em away) after i adjusted the earclips to fit closer and tighter against my ears they sounded very similar if not the same as the 35's, from what i can remember.

It seems to me that koss combined the best of the 35's (great fit, comfort, and sound) and the best of the 50's (cheaper, adjustable earclips, more modern styling) into the ultimate earclip headphone, the ksc 75.

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbatth
there was a thread started here but that was more of a news release (and car discussion, lol) than an informational bit.

not to be a punk, but please read post before replying.

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 56
It's not yet clear if the KSC-75 is closer to the KSC-35 or the KSC-50/55. Both the KSC-35 and KSC-75 use neodymium magnets (while the KSC-50 and KSC-55 use samarium cobalt magnets), so that is a good sign.

However, the KSC-35 use cellulose diaphragms and, from the description of the KSC-75's diaphragms (polymer), it sounds like these may use the inferior mylar diaphragms of the KSC-50/55.

Sep 25, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 56
the whole line of koss 60 ohms: portapro, portapro 2, sportapro, ksc 50/55, ksc 35, and ksc 75 all use the same magnets and the same diaphragms. The difference lies in that the ksc 50/55/75's diaphragms are supposedly 'coated' with a thin titanium layer. I think that's just sly marketing, because it is possible to swap out and switch the drivers in the ksc 50 and the ksc 35 and there is no discernable difference in sound quality at all, even though the diaphragms are a different color. In fact, the newer ksc 35's (well, at least mine) come with the titanium 'coated' drivers. Everything relies on fit, particularly how close the driver is to the ear.

Sep 25, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

hi all,

side by side pic
koss.gif

differences in bold below (even if it's just a difference in wording of the same thing or sthg that's in both but only mentions it on the page for one of them)

ksc-35 - $29.99 (direct link to product at koss.com)

ksc-75 - $19.99 (direct link to product at koss.com)

summary of difference from the web pages:
minor differences (for me): ksc-35 comes w/a carrying case, a 1/4" plug
major differences (again, for me): differences in the clips, weight, 75's are $10 cheaper

i don't own either of these cans but have been reading whatever i can find about them. seeing as how the ksc-35's are such a hot recommendation here for cheap/portable cans, this ought to be a nice opportunity for the few lucky ppl who have tried both or the new ksc-75's to share some more info w/us. i guess the 75s were released early this month and i'm sure there are some guys out there who have them by now (e.g. cannedheat and 3805). there was a thread started here but that was more of a news release (and car discussion, lol) than an informational bit.

thanks to cannedheat we do know the following:

we also got this from 4805:

so to start things off, i'd like to ask a couple questions to anybody who has tried the 75s out:

1. how well can the ksc-75s stay on while exercising (where there is bobbing up and down motion like running)? it sounds like they don't stay on as well as the 35s from what cannedheat said but 3805's post makes me think that they hold just as well. could either of you or somebody else please tell me more about this?

2. how does the sound of the 75s compare to the 35s? that is also another issue we seem to be getting different feedback on. is the bass a bit different or are they identical for the most part?

thanks!

------------------

I believe the KSC-75s will remain on when exercising, I simply never bent the ear wires when my son fell alseep with the headphones on. He commented later that the phones were very comfortable, even when sleeping. I concur, the 75s are very comfortable.

Now to sound. I asked my reliable brother which phone he preferred, the KSC-35s or the KSC-75s, and whether any sound differences were perceptible. He was unfamiliar with both sets of phones. He concluded that the phones sounded the same, with no differences in the bass, mids, and treble. He commented that the 75s looked more-durable and liked that the ear wires could be adjusted. He noticed no discomfort and the additional weight of the 75s was not an issue at all.

Now, I feel that the sound signatures are very close and am using the KSC-75s more often while the 35s sit in their case. I prefer the 75s (although I like the all-black styling and smaller height of the 35s more) because they are more comfortable and I can listeten all evening and experience no discomfort (unlike the 35s).

Edit: I should have mentioned that my brother likes bass and found no differences between the 2 sets of Koss phones. He tried the Sennheiser PX-100s and really liked those - due to the headband.

Sep 26, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3805
the whole line of koss 60 ohms: portapro, portapro 2, sportapro, ksc 50/55, ksc 35, and ksc 75 all use the same magnets and the same diaphragms.

Can you point to a source for this information? It's not consistent with past posts about this subject on Head-Fi. Also, if you go to Headroom's website and look at the frequency response measurements for the PortaPro versus the KSC 50/55, you'll see that there is a rather significant difference in the upper midrange (also in the bass, but that's more likely caused by different ear coupling), providing support to the theory that the PortaPro/KSC-35 drivers are different than the KSC 50/55/SportaPro drivers.

Quote:

The difference lies in that the ksc 50/55/75's diaphragms are supposedly 'coated' with a thin titanium layer. I think that's just sly marketing, because it is possible to swap out and switch the drivers in the ksc 50 and the ksc 35 and there is no discernable difference in sound quality at all, even though the diaphragms are a different color.

People have done this test before and have reported sonic differences. (Search the archives.) Moreover, even the skeptics (e.g. MacDEF) acknowledge that the drivers have a different coloration. If they look different, it makes more sense to me to believe that they are different.

Quote:

In fact, the newer ksc 35's (well, at least mine) come with the titanium 'coated' drivers.

That's news to me, but interesting if true. In the past this was not the case. MacDEF did a dissection and posted pictures a long time ago. While the drivers looked very similar, they did have the color difference and one was shinier.

Quote:

Everything relies on fit, particularly how close the driver is to the ear.

Don't forget the cable. I'm personally a cable skeptic but there was one Head-Fier who swapped PortaPro drivers into the KSC-35 housings and reported still having some of the bassier PortaPro sound.

My feelings are, until more reviews are in about the KSC-75, people who want the KSC-35 sound should just get the KSC-35.

Sep 26, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 56
lol. thanks a lot guys. right when i was just about to order some headphones (finally), i am confused about what i should do again.

i've got a question for wodgy.... if the sound is different, do you think it is so different that an average joe like me would be able to notice the difference (or a relatively inexperienced person when it comes to headphones who appreciates good sound and has a discerning ear)? i've got most of my music encoded at 224 kbps AAC if that makes a difference. thanks!

i'm looking for some all-around cans and comfort is a big issue so i'm willing to compromise just a little bit in the sound if they are more comfortable.

Sep 26, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 56
if there is a difference, it would have to be minor.
as i said, i could not do an a-b comparison, but from what i remember, there was no difference at all.
Also, how does headroom measure the frequency response curves?
There could be differences simply because of the physical nature of each different phone.
To be on the safe side, sbatth, you might as well go with the 35's which have been tried and proven around head-fi. I personally can't tell a difference between the two in terms of sound quality.

Sep 27, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

i bought the ksc-35s for $30 shipped. finally. can't wait for them to get here.

When I first got the Ksc-35's about the month ago, there was no bass there... after roughly 100+ hours burn-in (seriously!) with FM Radio from my iMP-450, the trable became better, the bass really got in, and the mids sorta changed.

I used to think iRiver MX300 buds were 'decent'.. ha..haha..

You won't regret the purchase..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back