Koss KPH40 Utility Review/Impressions
Nov 13, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #107 of 142
so, everyone seems to like Yaxi earpads. Anyone try the Dekoni? I have two pair and really like them. I have Yaxi coming this week, as well.
There's Plantronics earpads on AliExpress that fit Koss headphones. Look at the reviews for the person that posted photos in their review.

"It's a little bit bigger."

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #108 of 142
I had no idea the kph40 (lightweight band) / porta pro (chunky old school band) / KSC75 (clip on) all have the same 'connector' to the driver that snaps off and on!

I do like the lighter weight headband and really like the clip on at the ear!

Maybe I saw this in a youtube video, but great to know.

I prefer the Dekoni over the Yaxi, personally. They're just a little stiffer and I prefer it. The Yaxi is a deeper black, btw.

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #109 of 142
I had no idea the kph40 (lightweight band) / porta pro (chunky old school band) / KSC75 (clip on) all have the same 'connector' to the driver that snaps off and on!

I do prefer the Dekoni over the Yaxi, personally. They're just a little stiffer and I prefer it. The Yaxi is a deeper black, btw.
You learned how special Koss are at the right time.

The Portapro on the KSC75 earclips is very, very dreamy!

It costs $100 in China to get what Koss has. However, that is slowly changing... Koss can't innovate like China can.

I've never heard of Dekoni earpads for Koss...

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #110 of 142
Nov 15, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #111 of 142
A/B-ing the KPH40 against the DT 880 600 ohm. They have different overall presentations, but...

The DT 880 is more resolving, faster... pushes detail a little more.
But the KPH40 is capable of pulling out 89% of what the DT 880 can. On the right chain.

Truly impressive.

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #112 of 142
A/B-ing the KPH40 against the DT 880 600 ohm. They have different overall presentations, but...

But the KPH40 is capable of pulling out 89% of what the DT 880 can. On the right chain.

Truly impressive.
Oh really? That is impressive. I’d been looking at a DT model recently, not one specifically just any of those popular models, ended up with the HD560S instead.

But that is incredibly impressive, I’m glad I kept the KPH40 now

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #113 of 142

Truly impressive.
I bought a $45USD CD player (that also has a DVD player model of the same design) on AliExpress and the KPH40 sounds absolutely incredible on it. It's darkish, balanced and warm.

At $50 for the KPH40 who really caress about the extra 11% value from other headphones. :wink:

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #114 of 142
Oh really? That is impressive. I’d been looking at a DT model recently, not one specifically just any of those popular models, ended up with the HD560S instead.

But that is incredibly impressive, I’m glad I kept the KPH40 now
I bought a $45USD CD player (that also has a DVD player model of the same design) on AliExpress and the KPH40 sounds absolutely incredible on it. It's darkish, balanced and warm.

At $50 for the KPH40 who really caress about the extra 11% value from other headphones. :wink:

Makes ya think, man.
I wanted that 11% though.

And having the KPH40 on the Topping NX7 means I can take this level of quality with me anywhere. Maybe scale the DT 880 up further on a different amp in the future.

Point is I can live with this discovery, hahahaha

Nov 16, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #116 of 142
I'm not a fan of expensive earpads. I'd rather just use the Koss ones at that point. How much better in sound are the Dekoni's?

Try these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005424267836.html
I really struggle trying to decide a difference in sound. Especially when it's so slight you struggle to find the difference. I like them much more for the extra size (circumference) and thickness. They are simply more comfortable pressed against my ears.

Also, having had original earpads simply dissintegrate on my makes me think they are just so very thin. But, like my signature - these are my jogging cans. They just thump so well on a run!!!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #117 of 142
Just posting this for posterity, an unbalanced 2.5mm to unbalanced 3.5mm cable works fine as a replacement cable for the KPH40. My cat recently destroyed my cable, and I ordered a Bose qc35 replacement cable to try to fix it. Sounds good and it only cost me $5. Turns out the pin out for the balanced side of the KPH40 cable has both negative channels make contact with the common ground of the unbalanced side.

Here is the cable I used, for reference: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Rex-Replacement-Compatible-Cancelling/dp/B07W6FD6MV/

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #118 of 142
Also, 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor works well, allowing your favourite 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to be used.

I bought one of those adaptors recently from a local store in Australia, when included Koss cable failed after 6 month or so.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #119 of 142
I picked up a pair of these since they were on sale on Amazon and they arrived today. I've had the KPH30i for a few years so I have something directly comparable.

The KPH40 surprised me by how small the drivers are (it's been many years since I've had the KSC75 or KTXPRO1) and just how light the whole headphone is. The cord seems a bit less tangle-prone and a little shorter than the KPH30i.

The drivers of the KPH40 fit a bit more securely on my ear and the headband has much less contact area on the top of my head. The lightness of the headband combined with the clamp of the drivers on my ears means it tends to stay in place even when laying down, which makes them an even better choice for "bed phones" than the KPH30i, which is what I was hoping for. The headband of the KPH30i is more comfortable for desk use, though.

First impressions sound-wise, they are a little bit different from the KPH30i. While the KPH30i is on the darker side of neutral, the KPH40 is comparatively a bit V-shaped. Bass extension is better and I don't feel that something's missing like I do with the KPH30i. Treble is a bit more forward and there is a notable spike in the lower treble which can get slightly harsh. Vocals are a less prominent and sibilance comes right through. The soundstage is a little smaller while imaging seems similar so far. Basically, I'd say the KPH40 is a little more fun while the KPH30i is more relaxing.

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #120 of 142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back