Koss KPH40 Utility Review/Impressions
Nov 24, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #122 of 142
Unfortunately, most people already own the PP. :wink: No need to buy it again just to balance it. :wink:
Unless there are balanced outputs I want to run a Porta Pro on.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #123 of 142
Hart Audio sells balanced KPH40 cables.
Thanks for the tip on these. I wouldn't have thought to look for these on Hart's site. I like the cable! It's thicker/heavier than the stock one, but doesn't cause me any problem. It definitely makes KPH40 more accessible on my desktop setups. And portable, it's nice to be able to run it balanced and get more juice on a KA3 dongle or ifi Go Blu.

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #128 of 142
How much sound leakage with these? Is it on the same level as Grado’s base model item?

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #130 of 142
Thanks

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #131 of 142
So is this item essentially the same thing as the PortaPro, but just in a different package?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #132 of 142
So is this item essentially the same thing as the PortaPro, but just in a different package?
They sound a little different. The same driver but has a differently designed rear enclosure, some people think that affects the sound slightly. And the lighter clamping force makes them sound slightly different too. Basically they have a little less sub bass than the Portas but that makes everything else sound a little clearer

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #133 of 142
They sound a little different. The same driver but has a differently designed rear enclosure, some people think that affects the sound slightly. And the lighter clamping force makes them sound slightly different too. Basically they have a little less sub bass than the Portas but that makes everything else sound a little clearer
Ok, thanks for your response :)

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #134 of 142
I just took delivery of a new set of KPH40's, love their sound (as I suspected I would since I've enjoyed KSC75's for years), but have a question about the cable.

Is anyone else's twisted from the earcup to the 2.5mm connector? My left cable twists ~3 times while the right cable does not, which forces both cables to twist and the 2.5mm connector to sit higher up. Yeah, I know, this thing is 40 bucks. But still. Is this par for the course?

Either way, does anyone do MMCX mods for pay?

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #135 of 142
I just took delivery of a new set of KPH40's, love their sound (as I suspected I would since I've enjoyed KSC75's for years), but have a question about the cable.

Is anyone else's twisted from the earcup to the 2.5mm connector? My left cable twists ~3 times while the right cable does not, which forces both cables to twist and the 2.5mm connector to sit higher up. Yeah, I know, this thing is 40 bucks. But still. Is this par for the course?

Either way, does anyone do MMCX mods for pay?
Sorry to hear about your cable anomaly! That would drive me crazy, much as I would otherwise still love the sound of my new KPH40s.

I just did an MMCX mod on the KSC75 (very easy if you have the replacement connector pieces 3D-printed for you):

KSC75 Mod.jpg

(Sorry, the shot's kinda dark.)

But if I were going to mod the KPH40, I would grab these from Amazon:

KPH40 Pieces.jpg

Voarmaks DIY Modification MMCX Sockets Cover Parts

These were originally designed for the Portapro, but I believe the opening on the back of the KPH40 is the same size, so these should work just as well.

The soldering on this is easy, by the way. De-solder the old wires, replace with the new (red wire goes to the side with the red dot). The new wires come pre-tinned and there's already a generous amount of solder on the leads so it's pretty foolproof. A couple quick touches with the iron and you're done. (Also, there's a helpful video on the Amazon page cited above.)

(I'm far from an expert, so please anyone here with more skills/experience, feel free to correct me if I'm off-base on anything. Just wanted to offer some help as I literally just did the KSC75s yesterday.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back