Koss KPH40 Utility Review/Impressions
May 20, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #93 of 142
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #94 of 142
Between the KPH40 and the Sennheiser HD598 (or equivalent), which would cause your ears to heat up more quickly?

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #95 of 142
Between the KPH40 and the Sennheiser HD598 (or equivalent), which would cause your ears to heat up more quickly?
While I have both, I use them very rarely. (The KPH40 is currently in Italy with my daughter :).) Still, I would guess the HD598.

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #96 of 142
Ya. These KOSS are all not too different and a very niche use case. If you need a cheap small open back then just get whichever KOSS looks most appealing to you in terms of aesthetics. I would not recommend these as your daily drivers if you can afford a little more like the Emu purpleheart which is a pretty big leap in sound quality. If you cant accept a closed back (emu noise isolation is pretty mild) then Id recommend getting a Grado SR60 with f-pads which would be another big leap in sound. KOSS are just the natural progression from the cheap earbuds that come with your iPhone. Many people hold on to them long term out of nostalgia because it was your first hifi upgrade. I only use mine in certain instances nowadays (like watching youtube).
Grado is cheeks

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #98 of 142
There's a notion that because a pair of headphones is cheap, it can't be end game. But the KPH40s are my end game, at least for my home listening setup. I wasn't a huge fan of the KPH40 stock tuning, but it EQ's very nicely. You can take things to a whole new level if you delve into the dark arts of DSP. The KPH40s have displaced my HD650 and Verum One headphones. The sound with DSP bests them, and they are super comfortable because of their lightweight and upgraded Yaxi pads.

I used Impulcifer and HeSuVi to make them sound like a 2.1 speaker setup. You can read about Impulcifer and HeSuVi in other threads I'm sure, but basically, you get some binaural microphones, put them in your ears, and record some frequency sweeps from a speaker system in the room of your choice. Impulcifer generates a Head-Related Transfer Function with those recordings along with a recording of your headphones, and you feed it into HeSuVi to do the DSP magic to make it sound like speakers.

It's really changed my perspective on headphones. With DSP, the KPH40 can trounce any other headphone I have with subwoofer like bass and a nearly perfect speaker like presentation. So much so that I had to take my headphones off the first time I enabled it to make sure I didn't accidentally turn on my speakers. Other headphones can certainly beat my setup for things like detail retrieval or neutrality, but they just don't match the musicality or immersion, and certainly not the comfort.

TL;DR: Comfort is king, EQ/DSP can render most weaknesses a moot point. You can find happiness in budget headphones.

Sep 16, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #101 of 142
I just ordered a set of the Drop version of these, I had a set a few months back but didn’t have enough experience with Koss at the time to gauge them properly. But since then I’ve really got accustomed to my Porta Pro and KSC75’s.

So I’m wondering how much better these 40s really are compared to the Porta Pros, because I know they share the same driver but a lot of you guys talk as though the 40s are even better. So is there an actual improvement in the sound or is it mainly the benefits of the comfort, light weight, looks etc that make the 40s so appealing?

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #102 of 142
I just ordered a set of the Drop version of these, I had a set a few months back but didn’t have enough experience with Koss at the time to gauge them properly. But since then I’ve really got accustomed to my Porta Pro and KSC75’s.

So I’m wondering how much better these 40s really are compared to the Porta Pros, because I know they share the same driver but a lot of you guys talk as though the 40s are even better. So is there an actual improvement in the sound or is it mainly the benefits of the comfort, light weight, looks etc that make the 40s so appealing?
I haven't heard the Porta Pro or KSC75 but I can say that the KPH40X are my most used headphone. I have EQ'd the sub bass up a bit and thrown on Yaxi pads. They never get uncomfortable. They have no clamp, are CRAZY light and they don't get hot. Bought a kit off aliexpress to convert them to mmcx so I can use my IEM cables.

Of course there is no isolation so if I am in a noisy environment the only thin that comes close for comfort are my custom IEMs

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #103 of 142
I haven't heard the Porta Pro or KSC75 but I can say that the KPH40X are my most used headphone. I have EQ'd the sub bass up a bit and thrown on Yaxi pads. They never get uncomfortable. They have no clamp, are CRAZY light and they don't get hot. Bought a kit off aliexpress to convert them to mmcx so I can use my IEM cables.

Of course there is no isolation so if I am in a noisy environment the only thin that comes close for comfort are my custom IEMs
I got mine about a week ago, I am impressed with them. I’ve been going back and forth between my KSC75s, Porta Pros and these trying to decide which I like best. It’s kinda agony lol. They each do their own thing brilliantly. Really can’t decide which I like best, I was hoping to just keep one set.

I like the idea of upping the sub bass, because that’s what I miss from the Porta Pro. The clarity and openness of the 40’s is great, but after a while I do find myself missing the kind of encompassing feeling of the Portas.

I’m going to stick with the 40’s for a while though and hopefully they will become my go-to set. Because like you said, their lightness and comfort is amazing

Oct 26, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #104 of 142
I got mine about a week ago, I am impressed with them. I’ve been going back and forth between my KSC75s, Porta Pros and these trying to decide which I like best. It’s kinda agony lol. They each do their own thing brilliantly. Really can’t decide which I like best, I was hoping to just keep one set.

I like the idea of upping the sub bass, because that’s what I miss from the Porta Pro. The clarity and openness of the 40’s is great, but after a while I do find myself missing the kind of encompassing feeling of the Portas.

I’m going to stick with the 40’s for a while though and hopefully they will become my go-to set. Because like you said, their lightness and comfort is amazing

After using the KPH40X it's hard to use anything else. New headband pads and ear pads came in today for my Sennheiser PX100 II but it has so much clamp. The KPH40 is just so comfortable I don't think I am going to use anything else.

I don't find the bass lacking on them either though I like a bit more rumble <30hz for artists like LORN. I did put some Yaxi pads on though. Can't remember if the bass changed much. The Yaxi foam is much less abrasive and a bit larger

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #105 of 142
I needed a new pair of Porta Pros so I got the utility version. This is my go to for jogging. I use a Shanling M0 Pro player. I've bought the necessary cables to try balanced (I know, overkill, but I'd like to see if it works). Has anyone tried it? I'll post after the adaptors arrive this week...

Also, everyone seems to like Yaxi earpads. Anyone try the Dekoni? I have two pair and really like them. I have Yaxi coming this week, as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back