Koss KPH40 Utility Review/Impressions
Feb 18, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #76 of 142
Personally speaking, having owned all of the line with the 40s as my latest addition they are indeed my personal favorites.

Better than the porta pros, the KSC75 and the 30i. If you can't have all of them and you need only one then the 40 is preety much the one and only choice.

The only reason to pick the KSC75 over the 40 is if you listen to vocal music almost exclusively as this is still something the KSC75 does a bit better.

Bass presence, extention and control the 40 is simply superior, the mids are great and the highs are a bit shouty but not fatiguing in my ears though i can see some being fatigued by it.

Get the Yaxi pads for the 40, it makes the sound much more pleasurable and definitely more comfortable for the ears.
Which Yaxi pads do you use on then? The ones on Amazon that say they are for the porta pros?

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #78 of 142
Those will fit the kph40s almost perfect
20230220_213700.JPG

Thanks!
They definitely feel nicer on the ear compared to the original.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #79 of 142
Absolutely love my kph40s, use them all day for work and finally got the mmcx mod done so that I can add my mmcx cable with mic for calls and media control etc.
Also added the earpad adapters to try the Yaxi grado s cushions - found them to signficantly reduce the bass and mids became much more harsh - would not recommend at all, I'll stick to the Yaxi portapro replacements.

1678778243386.png

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #80 of 142
I picked up a pair of these on a whim to fill a gap between headphone purchases and I have to admit I AM IN SHOCK AS TO HOW GOOD $40 CAN SOUND. Never expected it and they are so comfortable on top of it. I am listening on the Ferrum OOR/Hypsos. This literally is causing me to question my entire thinkng about the cost to sound ratio.

What a weird an surprising hobby we have !

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #81 of 142
Diminishing returns kicks in hard. The most I'd ever spend on a single product is around $1500. But I likely never will lol.
All that's paid for is production costs, supply expenses, and greed. Way of the world.

This is how I use my KPH40; it lives permanently with the Colorfly C3. Best I've heard it sound. They have complimentary sound signatures :ok_hand:

P4160059.JPG

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #82 of 142
I will have to agree. The kph 40 are so good it makes you question whether anything after that is ever worth it unless you are hitting strides of over 500$.

I tried several pairs of headphones (other than the ones i own for myself) and i can't think for any reasons to pick anything else bar wanting certain features.

If you are looking for the best barebones sound and convenience you can buy there is nothing anywhere near what the kph40 offers and it's genuinely great sound even compared to expensive options.

From my own collection everything has gone back in the shelf and i use the kph40 and LCD2C exclusively. Yes, THAT is how good the Koss is for me to simply ignore anything else in between the two.

May 15, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #84 of 142
Absolutely love my kph40s, use them all day for work and finally got the mmcx mod done so that I can add my mmcx cable with mic for calls and media control etc.
Also added the earpad adapters to try the Yaxi grado s cushions - found them to signficantly reduce the bass and mids became much more harsh - would not recommend at all, I'll stick to the Yaxi portapro replacements.

1678778243386.png
Which MMCX did you use?

May 15, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #86 of 142
Is it difficult to change the cable for a mmcx adapter to do it yourself? If you have any recommended video, I would appreciate it
It's pretty easy to do if you have used a soldering iron before. The trickiest part is taking off the cover which sits in-front of where the existing cable connects to the driver. Do it carefully to avoid breaking the plastic prongs.

May 17, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #89 of 142
It's pretty easy to do if you have used a soldering iron before. The trickiest part is taking off the cover which sits in-front of where the existing cable connects to the driver. Do it carefully to avoid breaking the plastic prongs.
Thanks, I will keep it in mind, in case I need to do
this worked to get balanced 2.5 BAL to 3.5 BAL to 4.4 BAL
20230517-100712.JPG
Interesting, I suppose that will work fine with cable 2.5 to 2.5 (for my qudelix :)

May 19, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #90 of 142
Out of curiosity, why would you not simply get a balanced converter 3.5' to 2.5'?
yes, that is what the converter in the middle do, from 2.5 BAL to 3.5 BAL. There are many 4.4 to 3.5 BAL cables on the market thats why I got one and use an adapter..... Also, I choose a 4.4 to 3.5 cable with an adapter becase I am sick of 2.5 as it breaks. Warning, never use a 3.5 single ended in this chain as it may fry your amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back