Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #286 of 354
Sorted. Found an old TRRS splitter that came with an xbox one headset. Looks same as Schiit product and works perfectly. We got there in the end. Thanks all

Being in Canada, I suspect I'll have the same issue. Hoping I can find one around here (or on amazon.ca).

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #288 of 354
here's a fun mod I did after installing the Grado pads. I loved how it reduced the over all bass presentation but I felt like it was a bit thin or lacking thickness in the mids specifically in the vocal region and noticed it was fixed if I cover the back side with my hands.

I cut a piece of 2mm rubber foam to close the exposed back. It fixed the mids but increased the bass to low mids too much and became slightly slower. I went ahead and got a hole puncher to make 4 holes and it went closer to my target but still too much low mids. so i added more holes, total of 10 holes per side and it was pretty much spot on for what I was trying to achieve with tight bass and thicker mids.

This was just a prototype and will probably make a better one tomorrow so it looks neater and presentable. haha

note: prior to this mod I still have yaxi pads installed under the grado pads. (not entirely sure if I should keep the yaxis under or remove them? any recomendations?)
Also I removed the inner foam behind the drivers to make it like kph30i clears that also helped with clearing up some of the muddy-ness in the bass region.

Attachments

• IMG_20210628_024123.jpg
    IMG_20210628_024123.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #289 of 354
I know the Grado bowl pad mod is popular lately, so I had to try it out. My initial reaction was "it erases the mids," which does have an effect of widening the soundstage... but I don't love it. To be specific, I am testing with my beige KPH30i + Geekria Grado bowl pads + leaving on the stock KPH30i foams.
Back reading after I posted my first post on this thread. You might wanna try the additional mod I did to fix the mids while keeping the Grado Pads on for better stage. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the lack of mids with the grado pad mod.

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #290 of 354
Sounds good but very flimsy. 1st time theleft band broke on my 6th time using it. Then the right one broke and this time it fell off completely. I know its cheap but it doesnt necessarily have to be this cheap.
The driver distance from the ears for sure has an impact. The kph30i's on the Grado G pads really makes them sound like open headphones, which is awesome.

Also the force of the drivers against the ears has a large impact. I find the sportapro's (same drivers as sportapro's) to be a bit too bassy/boomy when using the stock sportapro headband (or portapro headband for that matter) which provides a lot of force. But I love the the sportapro drivers on the part express headband - having those drivers sitting lightly on the ears is great. The ksc75's are also great on the parts express headband, but I prefer the bassier and less bright sportapro drivers.

One of these days I'll have to try the kph30i's drivers on the parts express headband! (if that's possible).

Koss is the king of amazing sounding cheapos lol
Sounds good but very flimsy. 1st time the left band broke on my 6th time using it. Then the right one broke and this time it fell off completely. I know its cheap but it doesnt necessarily have to be this cheap.

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #291 of 354
Sounds good but very flimsy. 1st time theleft band broke on my 6th time using it. Then the right one broke and this time it fell off completely. I know its cheap but it doesnt necessarily have to be this cheap.

You're right. I've had to gorilla glue one side back on. Can't even blame it on the dog in my avatar lol. Definite weak point.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #293 of 354
Just receive mine and they are amazing. Any chance to reinforce those thin plastic parts? With the tape for example.
One of those thin arms broke on my beige KPH30i's yesterday, no mods on them except Yaxipads. I used them exclusively for most of the year, before that I was swapping between them and my portapro x with orange yaxipads, the kph's have the blue. I've got a grey pair of the cans in my amazon cart, but hoping for a sale over the next couple days. I've got the grado G pads there too.

Since that thin arm broke I was thinking glue it back together and then fit those arms with some heatshrink to help stiffen them up. I also want to re-cable but I'd like to keep the controls/mic and so far I haven't seen much on doing that.

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #294 of 354
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #295 of 354
Thinking about pulling the trigger on these or the Porta Pros read a lot of differing opinions. The trend I see are people report the KPH30i to be more veiled than the Porta Pros. Is this your guys’ experience?

I was going to get the clear KPHs but then i saw gold Porta Pros so now I’m debating. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCF1WJQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2CC8TQ3CZD6STPFQBBSD
Those gold portas look sweet! I'd suggest porta pros, as I personally prefer their looks, they're foldable and they're a lot easier to mod (kramer mod) if you want to open up the sound. Porta pro driver is open compared to same driver in shell on kph30i, so in theory porta pro could sound more open. My both pairs have been modded so I can't give proper comparison of sound. Kph30i can be more comfortable though. Just my 2 cents.

Dec 11, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #296 of 354
Thinking about pulling the trigger on these or the Porta Pros read a lot of differing opinions. The trend I see are people report the KPH30i to be more veiled than the Porta Pros. Is this your guys’ experience?

I was going to get the clear KPHs but then i saw gold Porta Pros so now I’m debating.
https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Limited-Headphones-Microphone-Carrying/dp/B01NCF1WJQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=koss+portapro&qid=1637870081&qsid=141-8753462-9153435&sr=8-5&sres=B0755N6CSR,B0763T9Y4Q,B01NCF1WJQ,B006QR8W6K,B00001P505,B09KYLFKGY,B079ZB9JLL,B08512VZ47,B095TS1G9H,B07SFK2K17,B08G8WYX3Q,B01N6YC34I,B08DKCL444,B08G8Z8QD9,B00MIJU844,B0006B486K&srpt=HEADPHONES
Now that the KOSS KPH40 came out, just buy that... or the Porta Pro, can't go wrong with a classic wearing Yaxi's.

Dec 11, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #297 of 354
Now that the KOSS KPH40 came out, just buy that...

Easier said than done! They seem to be sold out planet-wide :frowning2:

I'm looking forward to getting them someday though. I think they look very cool. And the headband looks quite a bit more robust as well.

Jan 4, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #298 of 354
I got my ifi go blu today, wauwie a match made in heaven with the kph30i with the grado pads just perfection.

Question can some body suggest a closed back headphone that has the same signature as the koss kph30i? I need some passive noise cancelling since the koss kph30i block nothing.

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #299 of 354
I got my ifi go blu today, wauwie a match made in heaven with the kph30i with the grado pads just perfection.

Question can some body suggest a closed back headphone that has the same signature as the koss kph30i? I need some passive noise cancelling since the koss kph30i block nothing.

AKG K371. If looking to spend less, then K361, but it's less "warm".

Creative Aurvana Live! SE is more in line with the KPH30i price bracket, though. Doesn't isolate as well, but at least it's a closed back. That's my own personal closed back alternative compliment to the cheap Koss. E-Mu Walnut on Drop is basically the same can, but warmer than the SE.

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #300 of 354
AKG K371. If looking to spend less, then K361, but it's less "warm".

Creative Aurvana Live! SE is more in line with the KPH30i price bracket, though. Doesn't isolate as well, but at least it's a closed back. That's my own personal closed back alternative compliment to the cheap Koss. E-Mu Walnut on Drop is basically the same can, but warmer than the SE.

I forgot to mention Koss SP330. They isolate really well and are on the cheaper side ($50 or less). Might want to buy the protection plan on Amazon, because they are prone to break. Zeos had his break.

Tyll loves em:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/sonic-stunner-koss-sp330-ear-headphone

The bass is highly seal dependant.

Probably not worth the headache of them potentially breaking, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back