Koss KPH30i appreciation thread
Jul 7, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #331 of 354
I looked at those, but the KPH30's looked pretty solid and I don't see me needing the extra interface cables. Time will tell. :)

Pretty impressive for a cheapie.
They're solid enough. I don't know how people manage to break them.

Have yours broken?

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #332 of 354
They're solid enough. I don't know how people manage to break them.

Have yours broken?
No, but I hardly use them. I just use them when I am going out. I am pretty careful as they seem very fragile.
I would NOT toss them in a backpack or shoulder bag. Or take them to the gym to work out with.

Thin plastic frame and super thin cable screams to me "Be careful". :smile:

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #333 of 354
No, but I hardly use them. I just use them when I am going out. I am pretty careful as they seem very fragile.
I would NOT toss them in a backpack or shoulder bag. Or take them to the gym to work out with.

Thin plastic frame and super thin cable screams to me "Be careful". :smile:
Yup. I tuck them in the front of my satchel bag when I'm out, and they've not broken. But I don't toss the bag around.
I can imagine accidents... but I can't imagine an occasion to be violent with them. I don't have to try not to break them. I haven't tried not to break them.
This is silly. I'm annoying myself. I don't know why it bothers me that people break them.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #334 of 354
Yup. I tuck them in the front of my satchel bag when I'm out, and they've not broken. But I don't toss the bag around.
I can imagine accidents... but I can't imagine an occasion to be violent with them. I don't have to try not to break them. I haven't tried not to break them.
This is silly. I'm annoying myself. I don't know why it bothers me that people break them.
:grin: :grin:

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #335 of 354
There's no telling how long a KPH30i headband can last. Mine lasted 2 years of light use and developed a crack on one side of the headband. I think the plastic is either too thin or just gets brittle over time.

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #336 of 354
Hi all, I bought a pair my self today,with out reading anything about them except just a few tips. I was looking for something light ,cheap and if possible to not sweat on my ears as much.I wanted them for my daily long distance walking training. I use my phone with an Ibasso dc3. So far i coudnt find anything that comfortable to wear !Buds are way uncomfortable fro me and almost all i heard sound bad and i cant stand then comfort wise. Then most sport phones were wireless and heavy (wonder hwy the call them sport?).So options were limited. You cant walk long distance jog or train with premium headphones!I You head heats like an oven!
Until know i used a pair of cheap JBL tune 500 which i got them only by handling them ,the felt light and i said well ok ,at least i can hear something while walking ,jogging. Being just a simply cheap a pair ,These were not that bad for that purpose only but still even if the were light i could still sweat on the ears.Only 20 euros!
Friday someone told to go check the KOSS KPH30i and forget looks and built quality and just focus on sound (for ultra portable) and lightness,so i plugged then in the ibasso dc3 and my phone and went for a 8km walk. OK i was impressed ,sound was very detailed and bass was there but very natural not fake pushed. They had less bass then the jbl's but only in loudness ,Koss had better feeling in the bass .What surprised me was that even though they are very easy to drive with almost 100db sensitivity they required
the volume to go up by 2 or three scales on the ibasso volume. I guess that might be due to the higher impedance of 60 ohms!
Anyway right out of the box i am very happy with them for exactly the reason i got them ,to listen to music while doing light exercise. The only thing that's different with me is that these are open,i never get open headphones beacuse i want isolation ,with these you can hear almost anything around you ,yet the sound covers them. Its ok if you are in the woods or the park but in the city if you have many cars going buy ,it disturbs your sound.On the other hand they might save you ,beacuse with others you dont hear any cars behind you ,not even their horns! LOL! So right now they only thing i dont like is that ambient sound leaking in when it gets loud,cars bikes etc. Other then that that it does not bother me.I forgot the most important fact then sound ,sweat was minimal and there was air circulating around my ears at last.I got a free pair of yaxi pads with my purchase as well but i dont think replacing them right away ,unless there is a big gain.They seem very fragile to take apart.
I am very happy with them ,never expected this from something that cheap!!
I was wondering if you could somehow cover the vents around the ear-cups if it would isolate them more to external sounds or that would destroy the sound ??

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #337 of 354

Lol! Well, it bothers me when I break them! On one of my pairs, the slider mechanism has broken on both sides. Crazy glue was my friend for the first break, and I'll try that again on the 2nd. I won't be able to adjust them, but it will have to do.

Having said that, my second pair is holding up, and I use them all of the time. So go figure!

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #338 of 354
Used these for the first time in ages last week. Nice sound out of my phone, using a FiiO KA5. Used them on a treadmill. They moved around a bit , but very happy with them.

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #342 of 354
My KOSS KPH30i headband broke in two hours. I'm signing out of this forum. :wink:
It has been noted many times that they are very fragile. I rarely use them and am very careful.

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #343 of 354
It has been noted many times that they are very fragile. I rarely use them and am very careful.
Yeah, I knew about the controversy before I bought the KPH30i. I'm careful with everything I buy so having them break in two hours is bewildering.

I asked Koss to discontinue them or change their plastic type. Like every Koss headphone, they're all good... but, if they break that easy... there's no point in buying them when you can have your choice of a dozen other Koss headphones.

Nov 4, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #344 of 354
I have a pair since last May and use them almost daily for running in the park since they are extremely light.Nothing happened to them.Only thing i dislike is the cable that is too thin and twists.I will eventually change it but don't have free time for it. Actually i had many headphones in the past only one broke and that is because during a DJ set a friend pulled them from my head and they snapped at the ear cup twist point.They were early Pioneer DJ headphones cant remember the model,it was back in 2000.
Most headphones these days are more fragile than in the past but for two reasons,cost and lightness.Cost i don't justify it in prices above 150 euros!Lightness is what everyone aims these days but there are so many composite materials to use these days why stick to plain plastic...so we go back to reason one!
Anyway KPH30i are fine ,they were designed to be light and ultra portable,if you take them on and of with both hands and not pull them nothing will happen.I fear the cable more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back