Koss ESP950 better than s.e. HD600/650?
Nov 4, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I haven't the ESP950. But just wonder if it has the same sound signature of the 650s? I mean dark and warm.
If not, in which ways you can tell that the ESP950 totally storms the 650s?

My ESP950 with APureSound re-cable is more like an electrostatic RS-1. I had to put it back on to listen tonight after some PM from donunus, and with just an SRD-7 Pro and Nuforce Icon amp they are sounding very good. Not dark at all, but warm and sparkly all at the same time. Right now it is detailed and crisp and with Tabula Rasa, with good ambience and soundstage too, even if a little more forward than is optimal for classical music. It is working very well as a low volume night time headphone at the moment, like RS-1, while with my HD600 I have to turn up the volume a bit more to get the best detail.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind though, the 950 can develope channel inbalance and hiss issues from time to time, good thing there is that life time warranty, you will likely need it.

That is likely the porous dust cover over the drivers letting in dust (only porous on one side), which is why I keep mine in a headphone bag and in the Koss case between use.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 36
I've tried the esp950 with the Headamp BHSE, and with the Headamp KGSS. Both turn the ESP950 into a remarkable headphone. I'd love to hear one with the proper bias, too.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #20 of 36
At least your wallet will be better after you get the MS Live cashback
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 36
Just pretend the e/90 is free. The headphones are worth the selling price.

And be very careful building the blue hawaii. The schematics on the web have a few major problems.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #26 of 36
Just a quick question to the Stax/Koss stats users - which would you prefer, the Koss or the Stax 404 on a Blue Hawaii Electrostatic Amp? I know, the O2 is the best, but between the other two which are almost in the same price league? Thanks!

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by starcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question to the Stax/Koss stats users - which would you prefer, the Koss or the Stax 404 on a Blue Hawaii Electrostatic Amp? I know, the O2 is the best, but between the other two which are almost in the same price league? Thanks!

The closest I have to that combination you asked about is an SR-Lambda Signature Pro instead of SR-404, and Woo GES maxed instead of Blue Hawaii. And my ESP950 have a Stax PC-OCC cable on them and the dampening removed, with alters their sound from stock. The two headphones sound different, so it all depends on your tastes.

The Lambda Sig are more laid back in the lower and middle mids, and a little more forward in the upper mids and upper bass - while the ESP950 are simply more forward and aggressive in general but also more even or level through the frequency band. The Lambda Sig bass extends a little deeper and is a little stronger, and the Lambda Sig treble is also a little more forward and sparkly (tipped up at both ends). So, the Lambda Sig are less flat and balanced/neutral than ESP950, but they are colored in a fun way. The Stax and Koss both have excellent detail retrieval.

The second place where they differ the most is in soundstage, where the ESP950 is more forward and narrow but with better pin-point instrument placement - and the Lambda Sig is more spread out and distant, but with less focus.

I have been listening to the two all day, with the plan to sell one or the other to help pay for the O2 that I just bought, and I can't pick either one to sell right now.

[EDIT 9:15PM - NEVERMIND - I'VE THE DECIDED THAT THE APURESOUND MODIFIED AND RE-CABLED ESP950 ARE BETTER THAN SR-LAMBDA OR SR-LAMBDA SIGNATURE.]

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #28 of 36
Thumbs up for the ESP950. New production headphone that can be bought anywhere (relatively new, anyway), backed by the Koss warranty, flatter frequency response, and not much more than a Lambda Sig.

Only problem is the plug. And annoying slightly higher bias voltage requirement than pro Stax.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[EDIT 9:15PM - NEVERMIND - I'VE THE DECIDED THAT THE APURESOUND MODIFIED AND RE-CABLED ESP950 ARE BETTER THAN SR-LAMBDA OR SR-LAMBDA SIGNATURE.]

Did you manage to get deep bass out of your ESP/950? I am asking because I want to know how the damping that was removed changes the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back