Korg MR-1: Can this be used as a portable player?
Jan 20, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #241 of 261
The internal battery life is real bad, 2 1/2 hours. You really need to use battery pack or wall plug. I have not recorded anything longer than 10 mins, so I have no idea whether long recording will be choppy. I am getting a MR-2000; MR-1 is currently with a friend. If you really need to know about long recording, I think I can try it next week. Let me know.
Quote:
Howdy,

I've been reading a lot of this thread and can't find an answer.
I own and use many different PCM recorders and want to upgrade to 1 bit/DSD.

I'm getting ready to buy an MR-1 and have been doing research about the HDD>CF card swap

So far it looks like I need a http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11814

then onto the CF cards...

My questions are :

-Is there an issue with extended record time ? (over 1 hour) or is that a menu setting ?
I've read something about the MR-1 chopping the track every 20 min's.

-How much battery life do I gain changing to a CF card
(I read on page 1 of this thread that I can expect up to 5.5 hours record time)

also >
-Is there an internal battery upgrade (more AH)?
(I need to run this without external power for stealth applications [mics-pre-deck] )

thanks so much for any input.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
added>

I did more research, and the MR-1 needs to write @ 100Mb/s

none of the cards I've read about here can do that (that might be the issue)

I found a couple that are close...>

http://www.supertalent.com/products/sd_detail.php?series=CFast%20Cards

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=dvnation&product_name=Photofast+533X+Plus+Compact+Flash+16GB+Card&exact_match=exact

--------------------------------------------------------
also found out there is an MLC vs. SLC  issue.

The MR-1 wants to see SLC

---------------------------------------------------------

found 100 Mb/s CF cards >

32GB > http://www.buy.com/prod/hoodman-raw-32-gb-675x-udma-high-speed-compact-flash-memory-card/q/sellerid/15334023/loc/33409/215498306.html

16GB > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370424531368#vi-content

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #242 of 261
A few months ago I switched to the Trascend 133X card.  Horrible for anything besides the lowest WAV setting and  mp3   but really want to get an slc ssd  with the right write speeds.  I have been checking back and forth between the Japanese and Chinese forums about the CF/SSD mods with the Mr - 1 and  everyone's problems is they are trying to use cards and ssd's with too slow a write speed and end up with pops when recording 1 - bit.

Even though I am only doing wav and mp3 right now, my battery life is up by about an hour. My  internal battery is pretty bad now so I have been using an external I found while living in Japan. Will have to post pics of it soon.

It is about the height of the ipod 5g and really thin. The battery itself has about 4 to 5 hours of power for doing DSD/WSD etc.  
I also found a 5V cable made for a Nintendo ds external charger perfect for it since it has the proper 5V barrel plug ( in the Mr-1 ) and usb ( to the external battery ).

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #243 of 261
I think the trick is random access memory - which is SLC.
It needs to be capable of 100Mb/s write speeds.
So the technology of flash memory is slowly catching up to spinning drives.
It's just a matter of time (I think this year) that not only will the WRITE speeds
of CF cards increase to a usable range, but the prices will drop as well.
Energizer is releasing a 600X CF card. I don't know the WRITE speed yet,
but the READ is 90Mb/s and the 32GB card is just over $60.

I'm looking into 2 possibilities with the internal battery.

1. find a same size replacement w/ higher capacity (possibly Li-poly)
2. find a higher capacity battery that's taller (or 2 stacked), and cut out (or somehow extend out)
    the back cover.

I bought an external power cable (to ends) and USB end and I'm going to make a custom cable.
I also ordered a 8800ma/5V Li-ion battery that is smaller than the MR-1.
That will last a VERY long time.
It actually does 5V & 12V outputs at the same time, so I can power a pre-amp if needed.
http://product.madeinchina.com/3-7V-8800mAh-Universal-Digital-Power-Supply_12896162.shtml

that's it - so far...

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #244 of 261
MR-1  I2S out Mod

MR-1 is nice digital audio player especially for High Resolution audio format
but it has no digital out port unfortunately.

I made modification of I2S digital out for my DAC.

MR-1 use DAC chip DSD1702.
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dsd1702.pdf

Intercept I2S data from PIN 3, 4, 5 of DSD1702.

I found space between main board and LCD for connector,
put micro USB port for I2S out.

Succeed digital out of high resolution format data (ex. 24bit/96kHz). Sound is very nice.
beyersmile.png

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #245 of 261
At first my congrats for good investigation! :)
And at second I must to say that IIS bus must have an MCK (master clock Line) which could be taken on the pin 18 of DSD1702.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #246 of 261
Quote:
I got an MR-2, which I only use for playback of 24 bit WAV files up to 192 and DSD 2.8 files I create on an MR1000 from vinyl. Pluses are SQ and multiple formats. Minuses are the need to shuffle in SD cards (which are slow to copy to on MBP), lack of digital or analog line out and short battery life. Using with a P-51, sound is excellent to JH-13's, making it all worthwhile for now. Getting about 16 24 bit WAV files on a 32g SD card.

MR-2 seems to be an intersting thing to me... But using with P-51 - isn't that double amping? How's the SQ just out of the headphone jack of the Korg?

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #247 of 261
I used MR-2 for a while (together with my MR-1), the sound from MR-2 is warm, natural, detailed and generally solid but a bit edgy for PCM files.

Yes that is double amping and MR-2 hisses a lot. I (am quite sensitive to hiss) normally use ER4P + PtoS to reduce the noise to an acceptable level - being able to listen to classical solos in a quiet room.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #249 of 261
Just got a new MR-1, goes well with my RA1 + HD580/HD560II

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #250 of 261
Its been a while...
Nice to see succesful mods like digital out.
My MR-1 has mainly worked after I changed the hard disk a couple of years ago. "Mainly" but not "fully". Recordings often failed. I got tired of that, and bought a Tascam DA-3000 for recording. I still need the MR-1 for playback however. It seems that it never really liked the change to the new disk. Or something was disturbed, when we tried to get the cable in place. Or just wear and tear. Whatever the case, the selector wheel is now very hard to use, and often jumps back and forth in the menu system, with some flicker. Anyone else experiencing similar symptoms?

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #251 of 261
Hi Folks!!

I just got an MR1 on ebay. :)

So, which higher capacity driver/CF has worked for you?  I need to upgrade above 20GB, and the thread indicates some drivers work and some don't.  I'd much appreciate if you could chime and tell what worked (or what didn't).

Thanks,
Walfredo 

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #252 of 261
@oghoter I have been lurking Head-Fi in those days - primarily as it was one of the few places where any info on MR-1 was to be found.

I need(ed) and occasionally still do need MR-1 for recording in DSD - but for playback I never did use it prior to obtaining the Havi B3 Pro 1 IEMs. These are extremely precise and even more so power hungry - you can forget any volume setting below 90 - but nice thing is that there is no objectionable hiss with this combo and MR-1 can really be enjoyed. Havi B3 Pro 1 has its own thread on HF - and all the hype is more than just well deserved. Do not be put off by the low cost -  with the proper tips ( extremely important with this IEM, old trial and error the only real way to answer what is best for you... ) these IEMs play in a group FAR above its price league.

As I wanted to be 100% sure not to lose a recording due to HDD or SD problems, I am still solderieng on with the original HDDs in both of my MR-1s. I might try to transplant the 40 GB HDD from one of my MR-1000s to test (and try to get at least double capacity HDD for the 1000 ( software limited to HDDs up to 100 GB )) - but it is nowhere near my top priority.

As you mentioned Tascam DA 3000 - how is it compared to Korg MR-1000 or MR2000S in sound - I am familiar with the functionality advantages of DA 3000 over Korg units.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #253 of 261
Hi analogsurviver, alfredo, and others - sorry for late answer - this thread is "slow" by now - so this may have become irrelevant for you, but anyway:

1 - I never got the Korg Mr-1 and the 80GB hard disk to become close friends...often some problems in the electronic interface...hangups...had to reset...worst on recording (often: fail) but eventually on general functioning...looking for something to replace it, now....however when it works, it is very convenient (and sounds good) (check my earlier posts to find what HD I used, probably better choices exist, an SSD would be best).

2 - Due to my tweaks, or whatever, I have had a variety of problems with the MR-1. But hiss? no, not much (but see below).

3 - I have never compared the DSD recording quality of the Tascam DA-3000 with the bigger Korg recorders like the MR-2000. What I can say is that (unsurprisingly) the Tascam DSD recordings sound a bit (no pun intended) better than MR-1 recordings. But even with the MR-1 recordings, DSD is a clear step up compared to PCM. So in my experience, DSD is what makes the biggest difference, and then, there are shades of DSD.

4 - For me, the best sound so far (again, unsurprisingly) is the Tascam recording to double speed DSD. This is really very analog-sounding. I imagine that the Korg MR-2000 would be in the same class. However I read someone claiming that these recordings were "undistinguishable" from the original, in his/her system. I tested this, the other night, and don't agree. Good as they are, I CAN hear the difference. There is still a little 'digitalis' going on. But its no longer pest or cholera, more like a mild flu. But it is still the case that, when I have an LP, and the optimal recording of that LP, what I choose to play is the LP and not the recording. Although I could live very well with the recording also. Is it "hiss"? "Glare"? Hard to say precisely, but I prefer the immediacy of the vinyl - direct. But in all fairness it must be said, these double speed DSD recordings are miles aheard of what I could achieve with PCM recordings (up to 24/196). 

These observations are from recording ca 500 LPs on my analog system (Lyra Atlas, Sme V, Hanss T-30, Aesthetix Io).

Happy listening,
Oystein

PS Perhaps you have suggestions for a portable DSD-capable player to replace the MR-1 - good sound and no hassle - ?

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #254 of 261
  Hi analogsurviver, alfredo, and others - sorry for late answer - this thread is "slow" by now - so this may have become irrelevant for you, but anyway:

1 - I never got the Korg Mr-1 and the 80GB hard disk to become close friends...often some problems in the electronic interface...hangups...had to reset...worst on recording (often: fail) but eventually on general functioning...looking for something to replace it, now....however when it works, it is very convenient (and sounds good) (check my earlier posts to find what HD I used, probably better choices exist, an SSD would be best).

2 - Due to my tweaks, or whatever, I have had a variety of problems with the MR-1. But hiss? no, not much (but see below).

3 - I have never compared the DSD recording quality of the Tascam DA-3000 with the bigger Korg recorders like the MR-2000. What I can say is that (unsurprisingly) the Tascam DSD recordings sound a bit (no pun intended) better than MR-1 recordings. But even with the MR-1 recordings, DSD is a clear step up compared to PCM. So in my experience, DSD is what makes the biggest difference, and then, there are shades of DSD.

4 - For me, the best sound so far (again, unsurprisingly) is the Tascam recording to double speed DSD. This is really very analog-sounding. I imagine that the Korg MR-2000 would be in the same class. However I read someone claiming that these recordings were "undistinguishable" from the original, in his/her system. I tested this, the other night, and don't agree. Good as they are, I CAN hear the difference. There is still a little 'digitalis' going on. But its no longer pest or cholera, more like a mild flu. But it is still the case that, when I have an LP, and the optimal recording of that LP, what I choose to play is the LP and not the recording. Although I could live very well with the recording also. Is it "hiss"? "Glare"? Hard to say precisely, but I prefer the immediacy of the vinyl - direct. But in all fairness it must be said, these double speed DSD recordings are miles aheard of what I could achieve with PCM recordings (up to 24/196). 

These observations are from recording ca 500 LPs on my analog system (Lyra Atlas, Sme V, Hanss T-30, Aesthetix Io).

Happy listening,
Oystein

PS Perhaps you have suggestions for a portable DSD-capable player to replace the MR-1 - good sound and no hassle - ?

Hi oghoter, I really appreciate your answer.

I have had it with recording for this weekend - and "fate" had it it was my highly modified MR-1. Two days in a studio - and I am basically set to - OFF.

For portable DSD, look no futher than Korg MR-1000. It is becoming ever more rare and ever more expen$ive, there is SECONDs  till the end : http://www.ebay.de/itm/261805232193?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #255 of 261
Thanks analogsurviver - OFF is very much needed some times!
Re: Korg-1000. This is a good one, but for me now, the Tascam does my recording OK (is semi-portable), so what I am looking for is mainly a convenient, highly portable DSD-capable player. Like most of us...in a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back