Korg MR-1: Can this be used as a portable player?
Sep 15, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #226 of 261
I got an MR-2, which I only use for playback of 24 bit WAV files up to 192 and DSD 2.8 files I create on an MR1000 from vinyl. Pluses are SQ and multiple formats. Minuses are the need to shuffle in SD cards (which are slow to copy to on MBP), lack of digital or analog line out and short battery life. Using with a P-51, sound is excellent to JH-13's, making it all worthwhile for now. Getting about 16 24 bit WAV files on a 32g SD card.

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #227 of 261
My apologies in advance should this prove a Thicko's Question ~

I am a tad confused as to the exact functionality of the MR1 and MR2 with regard to playback and would be grateful for any advice as to exactly what you can connect these Korgs to,  other than of course headphone out ?
TYIA 

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #228 of 261
Has Mic and Line output (at least I think they kept Line out on the MR2) but if you've used it to record, then you also have to count the DSF/DFF files on the disk as output.  One of the other big wins is the AudioGate software it comes with, converts easily between FLAC/ALAC/WAV/DSF/AIFF etc. and is a great way to fill your device with high res music if you're not recording it yourself from vinyl.  It's also a great way to convert your DVD Audio files to DSD Disc for playback on PS3, if you're so inclined.

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #229 of 261
Moon:You can use it in many ways. I use it as source in my home office setup to get the best from my vinyl rig and other recordings. Here is a recommended office setup: Korg mr1 or 2, with a good headphone amp (e g Audiotailor Jade 0TL amp), running active speakers (e g Sony single-drive), plus a h-pnone like the Akg 701. With OTL and single drive you avoid two known baddies in sound reproduction - output transformers and crossovers. Results, very good, excellent for the price. This office / small room system (ca 2k usd), in some ways even outperforms my main big room rig (ca 40k) due to the 'strait wire with gain' setup.
Faye: agree, Audiogate is great, however where is the output to 192 pcm.
Yes, there is probably some electronic glare.However after a year of this, my main impression compared to Pcm sound remains, he soundt is better, more open, more sculptural. Even there if is some haze also. Pcm-x-improved (and dsd x 2) might shoot holes in my argument, but ok here it is for now.
My comparisons are based on pcm recordings 96/24 and 192/24 - the latter sound better, but the DSD recordings better still. This is  based on recordings from my analog rig.
With increased run-in of the speakers and the amp, plus some tube changes on the amp, i am getting impressive sound, a good test bench for dsd. Turns out that the Sony speakers, burned in, are not bloomy at all, but handling lows very well. And that the Otl pushes bass content along very authoritatively. Amazingly, in the competition league of the Krell in my main system.
Dont get me wrong, the Korg is not in the class of my main system. I have not A-B tested yet and will come back to that, but I have tested that the Korg sounds inferior to friends' audio systems using direct analog from a record player. But the Korg is a very good music reproducer on its own level. And, starting from that, you can get big results.
Hard to say exactly what otl and single driver setups achieve, but in a word, a bit of star quality. Reaching for the stars.

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #230 of 261
Jivers, your "sound is excellent" comment is correct, according to my own testing.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #231 of 261
Testing, now, Wigwam Being. No wonder this album goes for great prices, and even my Swedish LP (probably not quite as good as the Finland Love records original) sounds remarkable.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #232 of 261
Testing, now, Wigwam Being. No wonder this album goes for great prices, and even my Swedish LP (probably not quite as good as the Finland Love records original) sounds remarkable, recorded to dsd on the korg mr1.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #233 of 261
Hi guys I am new to Korg MR-1

I want to change the HDD to SSD either, I am in UK but only find the Super talent FZM64GF18H available in US, while Mtron SSDs only get 16 GB capacity that's not enough.

Is there any other SSDs compatible with MR-1?

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #234 of 261
Some new listening experiences using Korg Mr 1.
Now using the top of the line Akg 701 phones.
First, everything said before in this thread regarding the Korg and dsd superior to most else - is warranted.Much more enjoyable then the alternatives.
With better headphones, the difference is only more clear.
To get the best from the Korg, use a preamp, preferably a good tube preamp like the Audiotailor Jade preamp. The Korg Mr1 out direct to headphones is ok, but with a preamp, it is much better.
OTL tube sounds superlative, to my ears.
Oystein

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #235 of 261
Hey I picked up a Samsung 64GB SSD and it doesn't work at all.

I constently get system errors and it locks up when I try and record to it.

It will "format" in the MR-1 (although it locks up) as after it locks I can restart it and see 60GB of usable space.

Any ideas?

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #236 of 261

Quote:
Hey I picked up a Samsung 64GB SSD and it doesn't work at all.

I constently get system errors and it locks up when I try and record to it.

It will "format" in the MR-1 (although it locks up) as after it locks I can restart it and see 60GB of usable space.

Any ideas?

I think that the problem you have is that the ribbon is fitted into the device the wrong way around.  I managed to do that with the first SSD I fitted with similar results.  I didn't think that it would have formatted or worked in USB like that either, but it does seem that way.  I have a Samsung in there right now working just fine.  Here's a useful link from earlier in the thread, scroll down it for pics:
http://www.mingo-hmw.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=83740&extra=page%3D1&page=38

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #237 of 261
Hi Guys,

How do you record files to your MR1 or MR2 from a turntable? Can it take analogue output from the turntable directly with just the RCA to mini plug to MR1/MR2, or will the turntable need to be connected to a phono stage/amp before connecting to the MR1/MR2?

Thanks!
Mark

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #238 of 261
Howdy,

I've been reading a lot of this thread and can't find an answer.
I own and use many different PCM recorders and want to upgrade to 1 bit/DSD.

I'm getting ready to buy an MR-1 and have been doing research about the HDD>CF card swap

So far it looks like I need a http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11814

then onto the CF cards...

My questions are :

-Is there an issue with extended record time ? (over 1 hour) or is that a menu setting ?
I've read something about the MR-1 chopping the track every 20 min's.

-How much battery life do I gain changing to a CF card
(I read on page 1 of this thread that I can expect up to 5.5 hours record time)

also >
-Is there an internal battery upgrade (more AH)?
(I need to run this without external power for stealth applications [mics-pre-deck] )

thanks so much for any input.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
added>

I did more research, and the MR-1 needs to write @ 100Mb/s

none of the cards I've read about here can do that (that might be the issue)

I found a couple that are close...>

http://www.supertalent.com/products/sd_detail.php?series=CFast%20Cards

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=dvnation&product_name=Photofast+533X+Plus+Compact+Flash+16GB+Card&exact_match=exact

--------------------------------------------------------
also found out there is an MLC vs. SLC  issue.

The MR-1 wants to see SLC

---------------------------------------------------------

found 100 Mb/s CF cards >

32GB > http://www.buy.com/prod/hoodman-raw-32-gb-675x-udma-high-speed-compact-flash-memory-card/q/sellerid/15334023/loc/33409/215498306.html

16GB > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370424531368#vi-content

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #239 of 261
My Mr-1 is running fine with the 80gb Toshiba disk MK8025GAL and zif cable AWM 20624.
Sometimes it locks up during recording, but a reboot fixes that. No problems with playback.
Certainly a big step up from the stock product. Thanks to you all, and Podtweaker especially.
Podtweaker's comments about getting women as well as men into audio are right on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back