Korg MR-1: Can this be used as a portable player?
Mar 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #212 of 261
Battery life is the only sticking point in the MR-2 (although you could just carry a few sets of AA's). I would love to see some more shots of the MR-2, it looks quite slim. I do like how there are now 400 projects per *date* folder, but equally you could just use smaller cheaper SDs and switch content and playlists that way.

This could be the start of a music-on-SD revolution that's really worthwhile!

I knew Apple put SD slots in the new macs for a reason
wink_face.gif

I don't predict it gets strong sales in France, as the name would whiff a bit there (You'd think they'd have learned from Toyota).

Think how much smaller it could have been without the built-in Mic. Maybe next time they'll release a player only option called perhaps the MP3
biggrin.gif

Just need a price and I'm good to go in July, heh.

PS. Just bought a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones and they are a treat for the ears paired with the Korg MR-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #214 of 261
I love the fact that it has that mic!
I'll be able to record some of my gigs in high resolution and hear every detail of it and know exactly how much I suck...
smily_headphones1.gif

Plus, having 24/192 or DSD files on the go must really be something...
Can't wait for this babe!

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #215 of 261
The mr2 seems nice but unless it has double speed sacd, like the best Korg, is it mainly cosmetics and convenience?
Anyway, here is an update on my mr1 + Jade pre + active speakers setup recording from a class A vinyl analog platform. This has become more coherent and enjoyable. Don't know why, running in the speakers play a role, and a bit of zen in the machine perhaps, gradual in-chain correction.
Mr1 recording does sound better than pcm, even hires 192 pcm, but it remains constricted compared to the real thing. This is no great shock, audio analysts e g in Norway have found, comparing formats, that the LP shines through, molecular vinyl level is hard to beat. SACD generally comes second best. My life with the Mr1 over the last year confirms that.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #216 of 261
Agreed -- it seems in designing the MR2, they've addressed the biggest concerns (hard drive, power issues), but they've compromised on some key recording features. The SN ratio is not as good, they've dropped the balanced input, and it can't handle as hot of a signal.

I'm not sure why they felt the need to put built-in mics there. My guess is that people recording with built in mics don't care if the recording is DSD, 24/96, 16/44.1 or MP3 for that matter.

I'm sticking with my MR-1!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oghoter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mr2 seems nice but unless it has double speed sacd, like the best Korg, is it mainly cosmetics and convenience?
Anyway, here is an update on my mr1 + Jade pre + active speakers setup recording from a class A vinyl analog platform. This has become more coherent and enjoyable. Don't know why, running in the speakers play a role, and a bit of zen in the machine perhaps, gradual in-chain correction.
Mr1 recording does sound better than pcm, even hires 192 pcm, but it remains constricted compared to the real thing. This is no great shock, audio analysts e g in Norway have found, comparing formats, that the LP shines through, molecular vinyl level is hard to beat. SACD generally comes second best. My life with the Mr1 over the last year confirms that.

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #217 of 261
I've got an MR-1 and I just replaced the HD with a 32GB SD that's supposed a "class 6" device, which is supposed to be the fastest.

When I'd copy files into the device via USB with the HD, they'd really rip along.

But with the SD, it's really pokey.

Also, while I was able to connect via the USB, it wouldn't shut off. I had to use the reset button to get it to turn off.

When I turned it on, it just would sit at the opening screen.

Anybody else run into these symptoms?

When I replaced the original 20GB HD, all works fine.

-David

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #218 of 261
Do you mean an SSD?

I had problems with the 32 GB RunCore SSD. I didn't try copying files onto it, and it doesn't get past the boot screen.

When I installed a 16 GB Mtron SSD (like the one shown in the Korean hack page) it worked fine -- can't tell the difference between it and the original HDD. File transfer speeds are similar to a HDD. It is what I have installed right now.

If you mean an SDHC card, are you using a CF > SD adapter or something? I can't help you out there, but I know that when I was trying the CF mod, I had a problem with the CF > ZIF adapter I bought. When I bought another one, it could boot up. The only problem I had was that I could not record on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digloo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got an MR-1 and I just replaced the HD with a 32GB SD that's supposed a "class 6" device, which is supposed to be the fastest.

When I'd copy files into the device via USB with the HD, they'd really rip along.

Also, while I was able to connect via the USB, it wouldn't shut off. I had to use the reset button to get it to turn off.

-David

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #220 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedyun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean an SSD?

No, I meant 32GB SD card, which is what I said (twice).

SSD is about 3x the price as SDs for no noticeable benefit as far as I can tell. They package flash and add an IDE interface, call it SSD and jack the price up. And from what I've read, people have trouble making them work, esp. in situations when they need to be bootable devices. SCSI SSDs seem to be particularly problematic in may environments.

Quote:

SD Card to ZIF/Toshiba 1.8 Adapter

Wow that's cool if this is what you used, but you're saying it didn't work? Too bad...

No, that's not what I used. I used a CF/ZIF adapter card and a CF "carrier" that lets you plug an SD into it. I'm curious why there are so many CF/ZIF adapters floating around and virtally no SD/ZIF adapters like this one.

I think I'll try one of these. I wasn't even aware of them. Thanks! There are a few up on eBay for about $20 incl shipping.

-David

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #221 of 261
With the CF adapter, from my experience, there is one that worked and another that did not.

This is the one I bought that worked:

DealExtreme: $5.91 CF/ZIF Convertor Circuit Board with ZIF Cables

If you try the SD>ZIF adapter, please report back with the results!!

Thanks, and happy modding
biggrin.gif

Quote:

No, I meant 32GB SD card, which is what I said (twice).

SSD is about 3x the price as SDs for no noticeable benefit as far as I can tell. They package flash and add an IDE interface, call it SSD and jack the price up. And from what I've read, people have trouble making them work, esp. in situations when they need to be bootable devices. SCSI SSDs seem to be particularly problematic in may environments.

No, that's not what I used. I used a CF/ZIF adapter card and a CF "carrier" that lets you plug an SD into it. I'm curious why there are so many CF/ZIF adapters floating around and virtally no SD/ZIF adapters like this one.

I think I'll try one of these. I wasn't even aware of them. Thanks! There are a few up on eBay for about $20 incl shipping.

-David

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #222 of 261
That SD->ZIF adapter has a header plug on it for regular 2.5" notebook drives. It looks like it could end up being a larger form-factor than the Toshiba microdrive, so it might not fit.

Anybody know for sure?

-David

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #223 of 261
The dimensions of the one I linked above are 95mm x 46mm. Also, it looks like the SD card would stick out a bit as well.

Quote:

That SD->ZIF adapter has a header plug on it for regular 2.5" notebook drives. It looks like it could end up being a larger form-factor than the Toshiba microdrive, so it might not fit.

Anybody know for sure?

-David

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #224 of 261
I can report, having been silent for some months, this is what works best for me
Korg mr1 with larger  75 gb disk
- player music space is up to capability, much more fit and coherent e g to bring around
- no problems with playback, sometimes, with recording (ca one in five to ten times)
- in all, advantage far better than rec setback
- best used - for me - with OTL Audiotailor Jade headphone amp driving Sony single-driver speakers Sx-1
- for your small room or office - big chip of top sound with modest investment
ø

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #225 of 261

-David

That is how it was for me with a king spec ssd before I got the samsung. I discovered when fitting the samsung that I had unexpectedly mounted the king spec drive the wrong way on the cable. That may have been the cause of my problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back