Korg MR-1: Can this be used as a portable player?
Jan 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #197 of 261
Just got my Korg MR1 yesterday. I bought it from xBay at a really good price.

I converted Miles Davies' Kind of Blue CD to DSD and play them in MR1. Wow, I could not believe what I hear! So much detail and the position of instructions are so clear! I think I can finally retire my Rio Karma and iAudio X5L.

I do have one question, can MR1 plays FLAC? I updated to firmware 1.6 but not sure if the player will play FLAC directly.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #198 of 261
it is not support FLAC but Aiff in firmware 1.6.

By the way, you can change to either CF or SSD.
One can provide more time for mr-1
another can provide more power for mr-1.
But will lost some flavor for mr-1.

Tekkeon MP-1800 is battery for my mr-1.
Which can provide more power for it.

Finally, mr-1 need run in at least 300hr+.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #199 of 261
Thanks Hkimo.

I saw your posts in Andaudio.com and decided to give MR-1 a try so far I am very impressed by it.

For right now, I will stay with the 20G HD. Maybe when the SSD price drops to $100 for 64G, I will go for it.

Enjoy the music.
o2smile.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #200 of 261
Enjoy it,
For me,
Mr-1 is best portable source for JH 13 PRO.

And don't forget line out and phone out has different flavor from Mr-1.
You really should try it after 300 hrs run in.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #202 of 261
To shigzeo.
Would you mind comment some good opinion to transfer?

I mostly use WAV to DSD.
Or listen DSD only.

Would you let me know "lose something in the conversion process,maybe add sparkle where codecs engage each other incorrectly"'s meaning.

I get confused.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #203 of 261
DSD and Wav are recorded differently in different bitlengths. But the reality is that the PCM is no better in DSD than it is in Wav - you are gaining nothing while converting the format to another. Transcoding is usually bad when working with two different lossy codecs, but moving to another 'lossless' codec such as DSD, you gain nothing and odds are that the DSD is internally converted to PCM until the very end before conversion into analogue anyway. It is going backwards.

You don't gain anything by converting to a 'better' codec from any source. The source itself has to be 'better' already to have it make a difference. In this case, converting from WAV to DSD is wasted on at least two fronts.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #204 of 261
I understand your logic but what do you suggest?

If ripping CDs to DSD actually lose sound quality, where can I get DSD files?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Changing CD to DSD is probably not the best method if you want to retain the quality of the original: you will lose something in the conversion process - but maybe add sparkle where codecs engage each other incorrectly.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #205 of 261
Well I finally got around to changing the HD on my MR-1. I installed a Transcend 32gb CF card and it went smoothly. The MR-1 recognized the card instantly. The goal with the CF exchange is to gain more battery life. And I now have 29.8gb! Now to do some recording!

PEACE

Mark M

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #206 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Changing CD to DSD is probably not the best method if you want to retain the quality of the original: you will lose something in the conversion process - but maybe add sparkle where codecs engage each other incorrectly.

If we are recording the actual analog output of a CD as it is being played we are not really "changing CD to DSD" as the PCM codec of the CD has already been converted back into analog . At this point we are creating a completely new codec from an analog source. Depending upon the the production qualities of the source you are recording you may very well indeed end up with a recording that sounds better than your original. I've recorded a few SACDs (from an SACD player) to my Korg (DSD-Analog-DSF) w/ very nice results(Better than the original, no this is from a much better original codec,but the result is pretty close) CDs really are'nt that difficult to improve upon (which is the reason "CD quality" is so frequently used in advertizing digital players that are'nt actually capable of reproduction at even that level)

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #207 of 261
Well, I changed the hard drive to 32gb CF card and all went fine. The Mr-1 recognised the card and told me I had 29.8 gb of memory. So I try a test run of recording and record 3 hours of audio in the DFF format. When I stopped the recording I got an error message and it would not finalise the recording. I check the system info and it is written to memory but the MR-1 will not recognise or play the file.
So next I format the HD and try to record again, this time I record in the wav format and do about 10 minutes. The recording and playback are fine. No errors!
So I try a few minutes in the DFF format and this time everything is fine.
So... now here I am today, 2 hours before recording a show and I have the same error problems! Anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions? Tempted to go back to the original HD but really want the extra space and battery life!!

PEACE

Mark

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #209 of 261
Recording from analogue out to DSD is in no way better than the original - it does however, mean that the original has gone through processing, and so changes according to the DAC and output stage and firmware and decoder.

Keeping files in PCM is the best way to keep the quality straight.

DSD and PCM are recorded in different ways. If the source is analogue, it doesn't matter because there is no other way to go about conversion, but when the source is digital (CD), things get iffy very fast. You ALWAYS should stay with the same encoding to keep quality.

CD-DSD not only introduces the analogue stage into the recording, it introduces transcoding.

Sure, it will sond good, but it is a lossy way to listen to the same music. If you like the sound better, what you are hearing is the sound signature of the source player, not improvement in any way from CD.

If you have a SACD to DSD, you are still going through the analogue stage and since SACD is limited to that, that is the best you can do if you want to have the SACD sound on the run. But again, it isn't going to sound the same as the original.

Of course, all of this is very strict: the differences in sound are minimal anyway and if a person is happy introducing all the extra information (distortion, artifacts, etc.) from transcoding PCM (CD) to DSD, by all means, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back